Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM

673 posts, read 3,089,957 times

Advertisements

One of the things I have been wondering how can some people work over 60 hours a week and still have lot of time to do all the other things in life? When I am personally working near 60 hours to me it almost seems to me I have no life outside of work usually.

For example, say I work 11 hours a day, 1.5 hrs for commuting, 1 hr in morning for breakfast/grooming, 1.5 hrs at night for dinner+chores, 8 hrs for sleep, leave me with just 1 hr or less to do something else. Usually spend that time reading email or browsing the internet.

On weekends, I might spend Saturday at work too. Leaving me with maybe 1 to 1.5 days of downtime. It doesn't give me time to go to the gym everyday or every other day. It gives me little time go socialize at bar except maybe Sat. or spend time with my relatives/friends.

It seems to me other people are better at managing time than me or maybe just faster in getting chores done. Other seem to be able to get lot done, like socializing more, while still working may hours. How do they exactly manage to full this off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times
Working 60 hours a week is a walk in the park if you have decent time management skills. There are 168 hours in a week, so even if you work 60 hours a week, that still leaves 108 hours for sleep and anything else you might want to do. Assuming you get 8 hours of sleep a night, that still leaves 52 hours a week which can be spent going out with friends, working out, watching tv, surfing the net, etc.

However, things legitimately get tough once you're up around 80-90 hours a week like many lower level Wall Street types are. At that point, you'll have very little or no social life.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
One of the things I have been wondering how can some people work over 60 hours a week and still have lot of time to do all the other things in life? When I am personally working near 60 hours to me it almost seems to me I have no life outside of work usually.

For example, say I work 11 hours a day, 1.5 hrs for commuting, 1 hr in morning for breakfast/grooming, 1.5 hrs at night for dinner+chores, 8 hrs for sleep, leave me with just 1 hr or less to do something else. Usually spend that time reading email or browsing the internet.

On weekends, I might spend Saturday at work too. Leaving me with maybe 1 to 1.5 days of downtime. It doesn't give me time to go to the gym everyday or every other day. It gives me little time go socialize at bar except maybe Sat. or spend time with my relatives/friends.

It seems to me other people are better at managing time than me or maybe just faster in getting chores done. Other seem to be able to get lot done, like socializing more, while still working may hours. How do they exactly manage to full this off?

I did something similar, with a similar commute time. Sleep came first. Followed by shopping for food, washing my clothes, dishes. Everything else came second. Everything. I was just doing things at home to get ready for my next shift.

Anyone who makes it sound easy is scrimping somewhere. They might get 4 hours of sleep and pump themselves full of energy drinks, who knows...but no one can do that forever. Soon, those with weekends off will have a luxury position.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Working 60 hours a week is a walk in the park if you have decent time management skills. There are 168 hours in a week, so even if you work 60 hours a week, that still leaves 108 hours for sleep and anything else you might want to do. Assuming you get 8 hours of sleep a night, that still leaves 52 hours a week which can be spent going out with friends, working out, watching tv, surfing the net, etc.

However, things legitimately get tough once you're up around 80-90 hours a week like many lower level Wall Street types are. At that point, you'll have very little or no social life.

This is misleading because it implies that you can do anything you want as long as you still have hours left in your free time allotment.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
This is misleading because it implies that you can do anything you want as long as you still have hours left in your free time allotment.
My point is that you still have 50+ hours a week to yourself so it's not like someone working 60 hours a week never has time for anything; they have plenty of time.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
My point is that you still have 50+ hours a week to yourself so it's not like someone working 60 hours a week never has time for anything; they have plenty of time.

Doesn't work that way, because you live each day at a time.

If you work 10.5 hours and you have a travel time of 1.5 hours each way, that's 13.5 hours.
24-13.5 = 10.5 hours. Now, that includes sleep and time to eat, etc., providing you have to return at the same time. I had a schedule where I had to be back on the job in 9 hours. So after my travel time, it was 6 hours. So if I ate something, and went to sleep, I got about 5 hours of sleep and had to go back for another shift. I didn't get more than one day off at a time, and when I got a day off, I was coming home off from work that day.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:10 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
I wonder that myself. My roommate puts in 60 hours a week at his job. He makes some huge bucks, so it pays off. He says he worked 80 hours a week when he was my age (i'm mid 20s). He gets up and goes to work at 8 am and doesn't get home until 8 pm. Usually brings take out home. Eats, watches a television show and then goes to bed.

I just couldn't do that. I have to work out and socialize and indulge in my other hobbies. I'll also be perfectly happy with a middle class 45 hour a week job. I don't need six figures but I do need fun in my life.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Doesn't work that way, because you live each day at a time.

If you work 10.5 hours and you have a travel time of 1.5 hours each way, that's 13.5 hours.
24-13.5 = 10.5 hours. Now, that includes sleep and time to eat, etc., providing you have to return at the same time. I had a schedule where I had to be back on the job in 9 hours. So after my travel time, it was 6 hours. So if I ate something, and went to sleep, I got about 5 hours of sleep and had to go back for another shift. I didn't get more than one day off at a time, and when I got a day off, I was coming home off from work that day.
What??

All you have to do is tally up your hours worked + commute time and whatever is left over is what's left over. If you're having problems with a 60 hour work week (with there being 168 hours in a week), you aren't budgeting your time correctly. At the end of the week, you will have had a total of 40-50 hours of free time. Those 40-50 hours may not come exactly when you want them to come, but the bottom line is that you'd have that many hours of free time per week.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I spent almost 2 hours a day commuting until I moved. Now it's a 15 minute walk. I have SO much more free time. I will never do a long commute like that again.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Lower quality of life in many cases or no family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment