U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,132,089 times
Default Quitting Before the First Day?

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation and need some advice. This is my first summer off from college and I decided to look for a part time job I can work at all summer (up to 40 hours) and then only on weekends during the school year. About 3 weeks ago I interviewed for 2 different retail jobs and ended up getting both of them. My first interview seemed really desperate for workers and was willing to work with my schedule year round. My 2nd interview went OK but I was warned that "some weeks you may only get up to 10 hours and some weeks you may not get any hours". I decided to accept the first interview and enjoy working almost 40 hours per week. I initially was going to turn down the 2nd offer but I figured since they were only able to give me baby hours that perhaps they could work with my schedule. I had my 'orientation day' at the 2nd job yesterday and I'm starting to regret accepting that job... This workplace has about 20 to 30 part time workers that they give little to no hours with, the work schedule gets made at odd times so I never know how the hours will conflict with my first job, I still have no idea who the managers are, and I didn't like how one of the coworkers warned/threatened that she would be quizzing us on our first day and basically be willing to tear us apart if we are unsure of how to run our designated stations.

So my question is, should I just stick with my first job that gives me more hours, pays better, and has a friendlier environment OR should I just suck it up and work both jobs considering the second jobs hours are minimal?

If you think I should quit the second job, how do I go about doing this? I don't know the manager so would over the phone notice be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 10,129,948 times
I'd give the 2nd job another day or two to cement your decision. I don't think you get the full picture during orientation. I suspect the reason they have 20-30 workers is because they have a high turnover. They may have been willing to work with your schedule because of it. If it seems like a back stabbing job, get out. Hopefully in a day or two you will know who to give your notice to; and I'd just walk out and not come back.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 805,632 times
I think it would be fine to quit the second job. If you're already stressing out over it, it's probably not going to be worth it. If a company is hiring 20+ part-timers, they're not that invested in you, so don't worry about it. Just call and resign or send an email/letter.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 AM

6,961 posts, read 8,910,647 times
In retail, turnover is very high. Someone quitting after orientation is not uncommon. I say quit the second job and enjoy what you have.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 AM

2,947 posts, read 3,253,687 times
No Brainer. Quit the second job. Call them and say you have another job. I am sure they won't care.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,955,756 times
Just call up and tell them you changed your mind. Not a big deal.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 AM

2,249 posts, read 4,055,944 times
You don't even have to give them notice. At-will employment goes both ways, and you're not likely to use them as a reference anyway.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM

4,632 posts, read 4,606,393 times
Unless you are really desperate for money, I'd ditch the second job ASAP.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,132,089 times
Thank you for all the replies!

I think I'm just now dreading quitting because I'm not sure who the actual manager is (I was interviewed by one person, called about orientation by another, and met another lady who makes the schedule) and I already have submitted payroll info., tax forms, etc. I would hate for them to say something mean on the phone (which I've had before). I really, really wanted the job before I actually went to orientation; now I almost dread the first day.

So, which do you think would make me look less bad: work 1 shift and then quit OR quit before I've been put on the schedule?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
Work one shift or maybe two to see if it really is what you think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment