U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:39 AM

433 posts, read 1,122,583 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, remember my shortages in my cash register at the dollar store from a few months ago and how I was losing my mind? I was short first $20, then $80, then $200 in 2 weeks. Here's a link to the other threads: What the heck do I do?? Cash register missing $200!!!!
Another cash register shortage - $80 this time

Well this ***** is still working there...and still stealing the cash. The sad and ridiculous part is that I know 110% who it is, and I don't think I can tell any manager because I can't show them any proof or tell them I saw her stealing. It's so sad that the managers and the boss think she's all innocent when she acts all interested in news about the company and is even friends and all buddy-buddy with the boss. I mean, what the hell are they doing to catch her? I thought they might have installed more cameras in more locations in last few months since the $200 loss...

Well you know how I know there have been more money losses? Remember in my thread about the missing $200, I said that now on the weekend the boss posts up a bulletin when he's not there with fixed assignments of who's doing what task. Well he stopped posting them up after it was decided that now a manager will be checking everyone's deposits and not just the cashier. Apparently last week, there was a money shortage in someone's cash register again (not mine this time, I wasn't even there) and this weekend on Sunday, there was a bulletin up on everyone's fixed work assignments for that day. That's how I figured out there was a shortage the week before, along with the fact that the boss mistakenly asked me about it the day after the loss.

And this past Friday, when I was counting my cash upstairs at the table where we all count, I forgot what had happened that made a bunch of $20 bills fall on the floor near myself and the thief who I was sitting next to. She helped me pick them up and then the assistant-manager who was there for that shift told me I was $20 short.... Coincidence? I highly doubt it. So this girl is really fast too and knows how to quickly pull money up her sleeve, pocket, or however she did it. I think even the assistant manager has a big feeling it's her too, but we didn't start anything about it.

So is there anything I can do at all? Everyone else is clueless and I'm the only one who knows who's stealing. Honestly, my boss looks like an idiot acting all friendly with her like he does with everyone else. Does he not give a rat's about losing money. Or is there not much he can do and just stays friendly with them?

And yes, I am still working there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM

7,479 posts, read 5,766,724 times
In most corporate cultures, for some reason criminal behavior is often ignored, even when it is obvious.

Long story short, protect yourself at all costs. Also, even if you have a mountain of evidence that somebody is a total crook, management will often still ignore the problem becuase they are either in bed with the crook, consider them a friend, or are just too cowardly to do their job. The best you can hope for is to plant some seeds of doubt about the ethics of the thief (assuming they don't do something obvious) so that maybe one of the managers will catch her... although even in those cases, there's no way to be sure if anything will be done about her.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM

6,794 posts, read 11,723,975 times
Find another job if you can.. i doubt you're paid a lot at a dollar store, and you have a lot to lose if they go after you.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,860,337 times
As a former long time manager of a dollar store I can tell you this: cashiers have their own codes to log on and off their register. Unless the person is an asst. and has access to your code or has keys how are they getting in your register?? If you don't have your own code, you need to find another job. Sorry, but it's the truth. I had my cashiers change their codes monthly. Yes, as the manager or asst. I could pull it up if needed, but rarely ever had to. If my cashiers would step away from their register for a couple of minutes, they would log off. After 5 minutes of inactivity, if they forgot to log off, the register would automatically do it.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,860,337 times
Also want to add that you would have been written up for $20 shortage, $80 you would have been fired on the spot. Can't believe the mgr. still has a job not letting you go. **** poor management imo. Someone needs to check into him/her.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM

433 posts, read 1,122,583 times
When the money is being stolen, it is most probably not being taken out of the actual cash register machines. That would make it too easy to get caught. The money is being taken at the end of the shift, when we put all the money in the handbag, to be taken upstairs to count. Somewhere along the way from the cash-register-paying area to the way to the room where everyone counts their cash from each separate register, this chick quickly zips open the handbag, takes out the money and puts it up her sleeve, pocket or wherever she hides it. So it has nothing to do with the codes on the register.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM

4,980 posts, read 8,417,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
When the money is being stolen, it is most probably not being taken out of the actual cash register machines. That would make it too easy to get caught. The money is being taken at the end of the shift, when we put all the money in the handbag, to be taken upstairs to count. Somewhere along the way from the cash-register-paying area to the way to the room where everyone counts their cash from each separate register, this chick quickly zips open the handbag, takes out the money and puts it up her sleeve, pocket or wherever she hides it. So it has nothing to do with the codes on the register.

You can document the amounts that leave your register at the end of each day, amount, date and time.
If you've notified them and they are allowing this to go on, perhaps they are all in this together. I'd get out of there.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

9,741 posts, read 16,885,353 times
Why is she transporting someone else's cash?

Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM

6,032 posts, read 7,530,799 times
Knowing and seeing it going on, but not reporting it can be just as bad....

Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM

6,794 posts, read 11,723,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Knowing and seeing it going on, but not reporting it can be just as bad....
Agreed.. if your boss isn't doing something about it, report it to his boss or one of the higher ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment