Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,650,880 times

Advertisements

I work in the HomeHealth Care field. I drive my own transportation. We have full coverage, but it does not cover a loaner car.
I hit a patients mailbox. It did more damage to my car, than to their mailbox.
A lady who came out to help me (employee) saw the damage, and tried to fix the mailbox.
These people still wanted me to file a claim, so we have to pay a 500 deductible.
They did an estimate on my car which was totaled 977 bucks, PLUS..they have to keep my car 3 days!
I`m going to miss 3 days of work, plus out 500 dollars.
I ask my employer if they could help me pay this, they said no. Thats why I have full coverage, and it was my fault. They mentioned something about taking up a collection for me.
I don`t want their charity.... I want the company assist in paying for this.
They said that we could suggest fixing their mailbox, but my car is still messed up, which is fine.. At least we wouldn`t be out 500! plus, lost wages.
Whats your opinion on this? Does this sound right?
Yes, I am a FT employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,008,510 times
You don't need to pay the deductible if you don't get your car fixed--you have the right to refuse to fix the car as long as the accident didn't cause a safety issue. The mailbox will be covered under the liability--property of others portion, and there is no deductible for that.

And no, your employer shouldn't have to pay for an accident you entirely caused.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Well...it knocked off my passenger side window,so yep...gonna need that.
I just didn`t understand the way things work nowdays. I still wish they had their own company cars!!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,405,332 times
Exclamation My opinion on this is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I work in the HomeHealth Care field. I drive my own transportation. We have full coverage, but it does not cover a loaner car.
A lady who came out to help me (employee) saw the damage, and tried to fix the mailbox.
These people still wanted me to file a claim, so we have to pay a 500 deductible.
They did an estimate on my car which was totaled 977 bucks, PLUS..they have to keep my car 3 days!
I ask my employer if they could help me pay this, they said no. Thats why I have full coverage, and it was my fault. They mentioned something about taking up a collection for me.
They said that we could suggest fixing their mailbox, but my car is still messed up, which is fine.. At least we wouldn`t be out 500! plus, lost wages.
Yes, I am a FT employee.
You should have been watching where you were going...lesson learned, I hope.
Koale

Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You should have been watching where you were going...lesson learned, I hope.
Koale
Thanks for the input*....

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 AM

6,584 posts, read 11,270,026 times
Quote:
Yes, I am a FT employee.
Its unfortunate - but I don't see how this would be your employer's responsibility. And if there was a concern over the arrangement (using your own transportation vs. a company supplied one), I'd think it would have been something to consider when accepting the job.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 AM

36,409 posts, read 16,014,557 times
I'm in the same field and transport my client, you have to have the window fixed and unfortunately it's your responsibility or they probably won't let you work anyway till you get it fixed.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM

12,098 posts, read 23,250,034 times
You wrecked the car. It is not a company car and the employer has no responsibility to fix it. I don't understand why you think it is their responsibility to fix it.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You wrecked the car. It is not a company car and the employer has no responsibility to fix it. I don't understand why you think it is their responsibility to fix it.
According to my employee handbook, it says repairs should be paid for with an expense check from the company.
Besides..it was on Company time, seeing a patient. I was just curious as to others thoughts on this..really don`t need your criticism. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,388,320 times
Quote:
According to my employee handbook, it says repairs should be paid for with an expense check from the company.
Besides..it was on Company time, seeing a patient. I was just curious as to others thoughts on this..really don`t need your criticism. Thanks!
And it is possible they would do this. If the accident wasn't 100% your fault. Which it was. It was a negligent accident, as you managed to hit a stationery object. It would be a different scenario if it was an accident for which you were not totally at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment