Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM

5 posts, read 6,561 times

Advertisements

Kirby's are worth the money and it is worth your time to take a position if the local office is on the up and up. If they are not ethical Kirby will find out and shut them down. There is NO such thing as a "natural salesman". you go in, learn EVERYTHING about it and show the customer. Once you see how much money it can actually SAVE a person in 30 years then you understand. I NEVER had to ask if they wanted to buy it, they knew why I was there and once I showed them everything and they wrote out the amount they would save, bam. Then I just fit it in their budget. I own 3 Kirby's myself.
Kirby will set you up for success, three free trips a year, EXCELLENT earning potential and promotion is up for grabs because most people that walk in there are looking for the easy buck. With Kirby in 4 years or less you can have your own office and be making well over 100,000 a year.
The thing you keep in the front of your mind is that it is YOUR career, so while people criticize Kirby and say it is a scam you will be making 3 or 4 times what they are. 5 years down the road you are making bank, they are still at McDonalds and guess who will be asking who for some $$ and if you hired them they would quit. Lazy is lazy through and through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Um....

I'm not knocking sales but if Kirby really needed salesman why would they be selling at amazon?

Amazon.com: Kirby: Home & Kitchen

Remember saying "may" opens things up. Here's a classic 80's film on those semantics by association.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iAecAtJVdE

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead67 View Post
Kirby's are worth the money and it is worth your time to take a position if the local office is on the up and up. If they are not ethical Kirby will find out and shut them down. There is NO such thing as a "natural salesman". you go in, learn EVERYTHING about it and show the customer. Once you see how much money it can actually SAVE a person in 30 years then you understand. I NEVER had to ask if they wanted to buy it, they knew why I was there and once I showed them everything and they wrote out the amount they would save, bam. Then I just fit it in their budget. I own 3 Kirby's myself.
Kirby will set you up for success, three free trips a year, EXCELLENT earning potential and promotion is up for grabs because most people that walk in there are looking for the easy buck. With Kirby in 4 years or less you can have your own office and be making well over 100,000 a year.
The thing you keep in the front of your mind is that it is YOUR career, so while people criticize Kirby and say it is a scam you will be making 3 or 4 times what they are. 5 years down the road you are making bank, they are still at McDonalds and guess who will be asking who for some $$ and if you hired them they would quit. Lazy is lazy through and through.
So a member who just registered on 7/1/14 bumps a 2 year old thread to dedicate their entire first post to how far they have their head stuck up Kirby's rear end.

Yep, seems perfectly legit...

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Unless you are a shady kind of person that has no morals about scamming and ripping people I think this is going to be pure hell.

^^^^^ This. About five years ago, my 95-yr-old grandmother (at the time) was hit up by a Kirby salesman. He came into her home, gave her some sob story about how he couldn't feed his family if he didn't sell a vacuum, and talked the poor woman (literally poor - her four-room house was ramshackle at best (but she loved that house and refused to move)) into buying one. When I went to visit her a couple months later and saw the Kirby sitting in her living room, I said, "What is THAT?"

"It's a vacuum."

"But Grandma, you already have a vacuum."

"I know, but a nice young man came to my door and said he needed to sell it in order to feed his family."

WHAT?! I was horrified. How on earth could that young man see her 15-year-old car in the driveway, and step into her tiny house with 40 year old furnishings, and think that she could afford a Kirby? He obviously couldn't.

It was that Kirby purchase that convinced us it was time that she sell the house and move to be near family so that we could keep a closer watch on her. While she was still physically healthy, she wasn't making good choices anymore. We eventually moved her into a retirement apartment community near my house where I went to visit her every other day and brought her to my house once a week for a family dinner. She wanted to give away the Kirby when we moved her out of her house, and I said, "Absolutely not - you are keeping that thing! You paid over a grand for it!" We gave away her 20-year-old Hoover instead.

Ironically, when she passed away last year, I ended up with the Kirby. Every time I look at that thing I get ticked off.

But it IS a good vacuum. Pity they use horrible tactics to sell them.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:23 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabanstva View Post
Hey guys, there was a local posting here by some distribution company. The posting said they will interview on one specific day.

There were like ten people that were hired that day, myself included. No experience required. Basically, they said the job pays $400 a week if all you do is complete a certain amount of vacuum demos to potential customers per week. Then you get good commission if you sell one.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing or knows someone that did this. This is basically a 1099 job, so I'm considered a contractor and not their company employee.

It just seems all too easy, so I am being a bit skeptical. The training is like 3 days and off you go.

I was a Kirby salesman one summer while I was in college back in 1983. Here is the REAL story of how it works.

1. You don't get paid one cent unless you sell a Kirby. 100% of your compensation comes from commission. This means you spend your own money for transportation going from demo to demo. Our demos came from lead cards based on canvasing of an area by another team.

2. Your commission is based on a sliding scale depending on how much the Kirby was sold for. If it is sold for full retail, you get the full commission. If the sales manager (closer) who brow-beats the customer on the phone after you finish the demo gets the customer to buy at a lower price, you may end up getting a flat $50 for your efforts.

3. I think most Kirby distributors churn out salespeople as fast as possible. Once you have tried to sell to all your family and friends, you will probably quit if you don't have good sales experience.

4. The only person who is making any money is the franchise owner. You might sell a few units, but you ending up with a minimum wage job after all your expenses are paid.

5. I think it was disgusting how the sales manager would twist the customers arm into buying by financing it. Many of the people I visted clearly were on fixed incomes and could not afford a Kirby. They were retired or shut ins who just wanted someone to talk to.

On the flip side, here are the POSITIVE things I got from my experience as Kirby rep:

1. I was a shy kid growing up. I got very good at giving my presentation and building the trust of the customer. I would not trade that for anything.

2. I learned about outside sales and dealing with all types of people.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
When I was a kid two Kirby salesmen came to my house and sold a Kirby vacuum/floor cleaner to my parents. My parents talked them way down, basically to the point that my parents didn't think they would sell it to them, sub 1k. Anyways, that vacuum is still in use, it truly is a great piece of equipment. With that said, the salesmen just knocked on the door and we had time. They spent around 2 hours at our house, they brought a unit with them of course. They actually demo'd the vacuum right then and there. They vacuumed a spot, then cleaned the carpet, then steamed the couch. It definitely did not look like a fun job, but in these times you have to do what you have to do.

I think it ends up being you going out with a colleague and selling these things in various residential neighborhoods. The problem I seen now is that a lot of people no longer have carpeting.

Last edited by MJ7; 07-01-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
My stepson got a job selling Kirbys. He sold 10 in the first two weeks. Never did get his commission.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So a member who just registered on 7/1/14 bumps a 2 year old thread to dedicate their entire first post to how far they have their head stuck up Kirby's rear end.

Yep, seems perfectly legit...

Seriously....

Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I can think of lots of things to sell door to door that would make more money then being a Kirby salesmen. Either way sales is a numbers game and you have to be willing to spend hours upon hours in selling. I have been approached by insurance companies about doing the same thing. The deal is you plan on spending 5 or so years building a client base up that you make money from when they sign up again each year. Eventually you can make into the 6 figures. Another sales job that intrigues me is financial planning. Companies such as Edward Jones. You plan on knocking on doors for 80 or more hours a week, 7 days a week just to build up your business. The rewards are there for those willing to put in the time.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I can think of lots of things to sell door to door that would make more money then being a Kirby salesmen. Either way sales is a numbers game and you have to be willing to spend hours upon hours in selling. I have been approached by insurance companies about doing the same thing. The deal is you plan on spending 5 or so years building a client base up that you make money from when they sign up again each year. Eventually you can make into the 6 figures. Another sales job that intrigues me is financial planning. Companies such as Edward Jones. You plan on knocking on doors for 80 or more hours a week, 7 days a week just to build up your business. The rewards are there for those willing to put in the time.

Yep. Kirby vaccuum with an expected lifespan of 20 years is not a way to build a company based on repeat business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment