Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Can I interest you in some Beanie Babies? They are a good investment also.

Only if they are guaranteed to last for 30 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 896 times
Sure its hard work, but its an honest living the only way you'll not make your requred demos is if you're missing days or something like that; you do 2-3 a day. Working 6 days a week(like you're supposed to) accomplishing your demos quota isn't tough. Generally the clientelle would be middle class/upper middle class families and every office ive ever heard of has canvassers or even sometimes telemarketers that find your leads and your manager brings you where you're supposed to go. Its REALLY REALLY not a job for anyone looking for a handout or lazy people in any sense. Its seriously only for hardworkers that can dedicate a hard dose of time and energy to a career. You need to be a people's person and able to roll with the punches, I'd say a good does of retail experience or restaurant type work would be able to prepare you for the job. The office i work for in AL is really supportive with extra incentives and contests and managers work closely with our crews to make sure everyone who sticks it out gets better and better. The new machine itself is holy cow amazing and built to last for sure. My family has had a Kirby since before I can remember.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Plus the gas and wear and tear on your car.

Forget it.

They need to market these things differently.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Plus the gas and wear and tear on your car.

Forget it.

They need to market these things differently.
Marketing them the way they do is fine, treating the people who are out there doing the marketing and sales do need to be treated better though.

I mean when your company is widely known among good salespeople to just leave people hours away from their office because they did not produce enough is not a good image for the company and not the way to attract talented sales people.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:48 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales????

Did I wake up in a Twilight Zone episode this morning? What time does the milk man show up?

I thought it was almost 2015.....

Old 12-17-2014, 07:56 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
I'll put my $250 Shark up against any $2000 vacuum... LOL

Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
I knew a guy back in the mid to late 90's that was making a fortune selling Kirby's. He had a store front and a team of "salesmen" working for him. Don't know how long it lasted but he made out like a bandit for a 3 to 5 year stretch.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:31 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Not even closely similar.......

A home is an investment. A car is a means of transportation that gets you to work to helps pay for your investments and your other bills. A Kirby is a vacuum cleaner, NOT an investment.

Carpet becomes worn (Even with a Kirby) and outdated and is replaced a lot more frequently than 30 years. We replace ours roughly every 6-7 years max.

A vacuum cleaner is nothing more than a piece of equipment meant to suck dirt out of your carpet. It isn't going to stop it from wearing down, and their steam cleaner isn't going to keep it from wearing either. So like it or not it will have to be replaced regardless at some point.

There's no technology there that makes it pull dirt from the carpet any better than the next one. I've let them demonstrate on a rug in my home and their $1,200 Kirby left the same amount of dirt in the rug that my $60 Bissell did.

So what if it only lasts two years? I can buy 20 of them for the same price as one Kirby, and toss them when they quit to pick up another. And for $1,200 I can get 40 years worth of cleaning, so by your own assessment, I gain 10 years of additional cleaning for the same price by choosing a cheaper model.

This has nothing to do with people who don't want to break a sweat to get paid. Those of us who work hard for our money want to see that it is spent wisely. I'm not convinced that a $1,200 vacuum cleaner is a wise investment.
Carpet does not "wear down'. The dirt that gets into the fibers acts like tiny knives and cuts the fibers. If kept clean, a carpet will last years. A good vaccuum (Kirby) extracts more of that dirt than a machine bought at a chain store.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
we have had the same vacume for maybe 8 years. Picked it up at Walmart for less than $200. We may need another one someday. Not sure. Lets say that we buy a new one every 8 years. The Kirby lasts 30 years right? So in 32 years We would have spent what? $800 for all those vacumes. I just don't see the idea that the Kirby is that great of an investment. I don't see the idea that a job selling something that I can get at Walmart of Target for a lot less is that great a use of my time. Besides that I don't like the idea of spending all that time to make a few sales and not have a customer base that will buy from me again next year. If I was ever going to sell I would sell insurance.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:13 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,210 times
I know this is an old post and the OP is long gone but I have to put in my two cents for anyone considering selling Kirby vacuums.

In a nut shell, DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

I tried it once when I was about 20 years old and I can say that was the phoniest job ever. First off, you don't get paid for the 3 days of training. Secondly, they tell you that you don't have to do any door to door because all the leads are already set up for you. You want to know what I was told on the first day out in the field? " Go knock on doors". LOL

And lastly and most important, you're not even going to make that $400 a month unless you sell a lot of vacuums and I'm pretty sure you wont' because it's not easy. On my fourth day of work I asked another kid who had been putting in 12 hour days how much he made on his last paycheck and the answer to that question..........$60 dollars.

Lets do the math, 5 days x 12 hours per day = 60 hours per week x 2 weeks = 120 hours, $60 / 120 hours = .50 cents per hour. Wow what a great deal, LOL!

Once I finally caught on to this I told them to take me back to the warehouse because I quit and of course I wasn't paid anything for 4 days of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment