U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: DFW
6,801 posts, read 11,788,872 times
Reputation: 5159

Advertisements

I've heard of plenty of people who work in such an environment (some in the US but even more in Asia) where they receive a salary to work, say, 40 hours a week but there's the implicit expectation to work, say, 50+ hours a week even though the actual work they do could be completed in, say, 20 hours.

Although not every workplace is this way, I'm a bit perplexed why this sort of practice is as common as it is nowadays. I'd think many managers will see through all of those hours of unproductive 'facetime'.

I personally think life's too short to be wasted by doing nothing at work while giving the appearance of doing something. If leaving early means I lose my job or don't get promoted, then I'd rather still fill that redundant, unpaid facetime with, say, learning a new skill.

What do you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
 
730 posts, read 2,018,257 times
Reputation: 726
I recently left a government job that was exactly as you describe. They absolutely insisted on 40 hour work weeks, no exceptions when really we all had about 20 hours of work to do. To make matters worse right before I left they hired 3 new clerks to help with the "work load". It was terrible trying to stretch it or entertain myself. Misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,811,608 times
Reputation: 16147
You have to ask yourself what you are being paid for. Are you getting paid to produce "x" amount of work or are you getting paid to provide "x" amount of hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 03:03 PM
 
1,213 posts, read 1,319,796 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by noem1226 View Post
i recently left a government job that was exactly as you describe. They absolutely insisted on 40 hour work weeks, no exceptions when really we all had about 20 hours of work to do. To make matters worse right before i left they hired 3 new clerks to help with the "work load". It was terrible trying to stretch it or entertain myself. Misery.
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I recently left a government job that was exactly as you describe. They absolutely insisted on 40 hour work weeks, no exceptions when really we all had about 20 hours of work to do. To make matters worse right before I left they hired 3 new clerks to help with the "work load". It was terrible trying to stretch it or entertain myself. Misery.

Good one!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Noblesville, IN
3,713 posts, read 4,097,434 times
Reputation: 6260
OMG, that's what I'm going through...

At my last job, I was buried up to my eyeballs in work but because deadlines are deadlines, the work always got done. And I always put in the hours. So when I get to this job, my work load was cut down so dramatically, that I'm going nuts trying to "look" busy. I have to time everything just so.

What's crazy to me is that the folks who work all this overtime at my new job, could do their job in half the time. I think it's because 1) they don't really know what they're doing and 2) they want to look really important. I have tried offering suggestions (minimally and quietly) to help out their system, but I get shot down. Whatev, keep working those Saturdays. Please just don't give me the evil eye when I leave at five.

I would like to find a nice balance between keeping challenged and being bored out of my skull!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
OMG, that's what I'm going through...

At my last job, I was buried up to my eyeballs in work but because deadlines are deadlines, the work always got done. And I always put in the hours. So when I get to this job, my work load was cut down so dramatically, that I'm going nuts trying to "look" busy. I have to time everything just so.

What's crazy to me is that the folks who work all this overtime at my new job, could do their job in half the time. I think it's because 1) they don't really know what they're doing and 2) they want to look really important. I have tried offering suggestions (minimally and quietly) to help out their system, but I get shot down. Whatev, keep working those Saturdays. Please just don't give me the evil eye when I leave at five.

I would like to find a nice balance between keeping challenged and being bored out of my skull!!

They want to believe they are making themselves irreplaceable and unexpendable to the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM
 
8,342 posts, read 9,811,993 times
Reputation: 10652
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I recently left a government job that was exactly as you describe. They absolutely insisted on 40 hour work weeks, no exceptions when really we all had about 20 hours of work to do. To make matters worse right before I left they hired 3 new clerks to help with the "work load". It was terrible trying to stretch it or entertain myself. Misery.
I'm in this position now. Local govt job, 40 hour work week. I spend maybe 10 to 20% of that actually doing work, the rest of the time is waste of time busy work. Most of my posts here are made from work, just passing time. And they expect us to look busy, and refuse to acknowledge we are overstaffed. The days just drag on for eternity. Oh, the mgrs who get on us for not doing work, when there is no work to do, also have no work. We have a mgr to employee ratio of 1:1. So they don't have enough work and end up babysitting the employees. It's circle-jerk insanity. Efficiency is not the govts strong point. And if we try to improve efficiency, or help with specials projects, etc, the mgmt gets angry for upsetting the status quo. Plus they seem threatened by offers of help, as if it will highlight their shortcomings. Such a backwards operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM
 
29 posts, read 39,698 times
Reputation: 81
wouldn't it be amazing if you could do that kind of work from home? oh no, you must be present in my crappy building so we can look like a real company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 AM
 
Location: USA
4,980 posts, read 8,443,855 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggerburn View Post
wouldn't it be amazing if you could do that kind of work from home? oh no, you must be present in my crappy building so we can look like a real company.

Yes, just grinding out for 8 hours instead of just getting the work done and going home. Constant control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top