Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,655,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
The sad thing is...the bad workers, the alleged "TEAM PLAYERS" keep their jobs. They can drive anyone out, and once they do it, they know EXACTLY how to do it.
And with management SAYING they are promoting team work, they are really promoting the hostile work environment. As long as companies say they won't "tolerate it", on the surface, they don't condone it, but you have managers who rampantly do. In other words, their workers do the dirty work for them in exchange for privileges.
So true, and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:18 PM

994 posts, read 1,587,902 times
This kind of crap goes on so much it's not even funny. I know that a lot of the crap that goes on in the workplace is perfectly legal but nevertheless not a good way to run a company and may lead to illegal **** down the road. At her previous employer my mother encountered some bullying from her boss and that drove her to her current employer. Funny thing is at her current employer her bosses (plenty of 'management' in the average hospital, BTW) are a bunch of dill pickles stuck in the 1950s management era. I won't rehash all the drama that goes on here but one game sticks out in particular. Her co-workers used to have a 'game' where they would add the phrase "in bed" to anything they would say. So, if someone talked about anything, even pertaining to work, they had to say that stupid phrase:

"The general practicioner and the patient discussed the blood test results...in bed."

"We have charted over 300 cases of phyliobacter sylphoposrous...in bed."

"Our department was able to implement the new handwashing procedures...in bed."

You can imagine how a lot of people interpreted that. I don't think it went on all the time but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people found it offensive. It was eventually stopped but it goes to show you that management often times encourages and/or lets this crap happen. It's bad in a lot of places. It's bad even in the professional industries and that's the last place you think this would go on given that the employees there are mostly college educated and take all these classes on 'diversity' and 'culture' and all the other crap. At my last 'bank' employer they had a guy in the training class making BS remarks on Jews. He was like a cross between some Family GUy/AMerican Dad character and an evil Wikipedia drone. What a *****. And ironically, the trainer and most of the training class liked him. I left partially because of that.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,132,330 times
These type of workplaces are everywhere - you just have be strong and get through it - These type of places are full of sanctimonious characters - when you get past all their crap, there just money grabbing scum bags - Careerism is a cloak for greed.

When you get below it all - its all just economic competition for jobs and money - no different to competing against other people running their own businesses.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
These type of workplaces are everywhere - you just have be strong and get through it - These type of places are full of sanctimonious characters - when you get past all their crap, there just money grabbing scum bags - Careerism is a cloak for greed.

When you get below it all - its all just economic competition for jobs and money - no different to competing against other people running their own businesses.
I think your assessment is pretty darn accurate, unfortunately.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 15,891 times
This is a great article that outlines a good working environment in the medical industry, specifically among nurses. Nurses have one of the hardest jobs within the health care field; being one I can recognize and appreciate what this article stands for.

I am a nurse and had one heck of time trying to manage my team. It sucked the life out of me and made my work environment really hostile at times. As silly as it sounds, I googled "nurse team leader hard times at work" and found this article. It's simple but I pulled a bullet point from it each month trying it implement the recommendation until I had used all of them... not a bad result. My work environment improved and I gained a lot of confidence as a leader!

Here's the link to the article: 5 Tips Nurse Managers Use to Coach Winning Teams

Cheers!

Bridget

Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 AM

469 posts, read 909,847 times
I am dealing with a complaint right now. We have 3 employees who are arrogant, angry alcoholics. One of them is so bad he makes the thought of coming to work unbearable. He has caused one employee to quit and another fired. He *******, complains and constantly belittles the workers on the other shift. He complains about what they did or didnt do. He is also an alcoholic, reeks of booze and is angry, hazy until around 10am. This is every day. The other two are just angry alcoholics who feed on the backstabbing and make it worse. These 3 cannot be trusted and workplace violence is a concern. One of the 3 has been suspended for making threats, all have been talked to about drinking

The supervisor and HR have been told but cannot do anything because he is doing the job and is not drinking at work. At least we have never seen him. So an annoymous grievance was filed and a letter to the CEO. Doesnt appear that the union will do anything, nor will the company.

Any suggestions.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM

24 posts, read 41,143 times
I'm also in a hostile work environment right now. I went to my manager about the petty gossip and bullying and she pretty much told me the job may not be the right fit for me. Because I'm too sensitive!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,417,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
I am dealing with a complaint right now. We have 3 employees who are arrogant, angry alcoholics. One of them is so bad he makes the thought of coming to work unbearable. He has caused one employee to quit and another fired. He *******, complains and constantly belittles the workers on the other shift. He complains about what they did or didnt do. He is also an alcoholic, reeks of booze and is angry, hazy until around 10am. This is every day. The other two are just angry alcoholics who feed on the backstabbing and make it worse. These 3 cannot be trusted and workplace violence is a concern. One of the 3 has been suspended for making threats, all have been talked to about drinking

The supervisor and HR have been told but cannot do anything because he is doing the job and is not drinking at work. At least we have never seen him. So an annoymous grievance was filed and a letter to the CEO. Doesnt appear that the union will do anything, nor will the company.

Any suggestions.
I don't know where you work, but when you know your co-workers are addicts and their addiction is hurting the work environment and impacting you and others, your best bet is to go elsewhere by looking for another job now. A while back, I had worked at an office full of addicts (of any substance legal or not), and it can only take just one person against you to get you fired, especially if the person who targets you is a direct supervisor (manager) and you that you know and understand the politics of where you work.

I hate to say this, but it is true: if you complain about the situation, it makes you look worse in eyes of management in most cases. You have put yourself first and get out of that bad environment as soon as possible. Good luck in picking your battles, it is tough out there.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,417,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenray View Post
I'm also in a hostile work environment right now. I went to my manager about the petty gossip and bullying and she pretty much told me the job may not be the right fit for me. Because I'm too sensitive!
That is really direct criticism by your manager, but do what you in reason, if you want to save your job.
Rise above the B.S. as much as you can, easier said than done, I know and realize.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,364,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post

Any suggestions.
Unfortunately, this is not a "hostile work environment". A bad one, yes, but it doe snot meet the legal requirements for it to be "hostile"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment