Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Personally I would choose a different career choice. Does it really make sense with a conviction for theft that you go towards a profession that deals with money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
No dice...you cannot have a professional license with a felony-nursing, CPA, nothing....

Sorry..

Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
No dice...you cannot have a professional license with a felony-nursing, CPA, nothing....

Sorry..
Actually a friend of mine did get a nursing license with a felony. She got a felony DUI over 10 years earlier and has since been 100% clean and sober. (That was her wake up call)

She had to go through hoops including getting letters of reference and an interview process with the licensing board. It wasn't an easy thing to do, but she was very committed.

I had another friend years ago who was able to get a job as a school bus driver with a drug related felony on her record almost 20 years prior. She too had never been in trouble again, was married with kids and a pillar of society. She was able to go through a process to prove she had rehabilitated herself.

That said, I believe those were extraordinary cases. And as others have mentioned, I don't think someone with a felony for theft is going to get a CPA license.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
With the exception of being a Congressman, having a felony conviction for theft will make it very difficult to gain meaningful employment.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
With the exception of being a Congressman, having a felony conviction for theft will make it very difficult to gain meaningful employment.

I think it's a prereq for the position.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually a friend of mine did get a nursing license with a felony. She got a felony DUI over 10 years earlier and has since been 100% clean and sober. (That was her wake up call)

She had to go through hoops including getting letters of reference and an interview process with the licensing board. It wasn't an easy thing to do, but she was very committed.

I had another friend years ago who was able to get a job as a school bus driver with a drug related felony on her record almost 20 years prior. She too had never been in trouble again, was married with kids and a pillar of society. She was able to go through a process to prove she had rehabilitated herself.

That said, I believe those were extraordinary cases. And as others have mentioned, I don't think someone with a felony for theft is going to get a CPA license.

Interesting...I personally know 2 people that have felonies ( 1 was a college prank, another was drug related in college) one cannot receive any professional license -he's tried to obtain a CPA. I don't believe the other has ever tried.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:00 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
In Texas, a felony does not automatically disqualify you from obtaining your CPA, but you have to state the felony and everything related on the Eligibility Application and Application of Intent. Although, like mentioned good look having a company trust someone with a felony for theft with handling their money and their clients money.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Depending upon what state she's in, if she's done her time and hasn't had any problems since, she can apply for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. She also may be able to be bonded by the state Department of Labor.

She has to be honest about her conviction (they're going to find out, anyway) and show how she's grown and changed since making that one mistake.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Companies/licensing organizations tend to be more lenient towards DUIs and drug related felonies. If it involves violence or theft in any way, they are quite harsh and unforgiving. There is a reason for that though; companies open themselves up to potential lawsuits if an employee with a prior convicted violent felony commits a crime against another employee on company premises.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
That's an uphill battle there unfortunately. A CPA license generally requires a clean record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment