Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM

640 posts, read 1,212,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
So what are you doing to get around it?

You are really good at posting about why you can't get a job. About all of the reasons no one will hire you. People give you advice, you shoot them down.

So, no, the "in" thing is requiring things that you want to complain about.
Most of the advice people give I've done. I've been nothing but brushed off and ignored by employers, even after they repeatedly put up job listings every week. You also went to great lengths to try to blame me for me not being able to find a job which is not true. The requirements for what I'm looking for are ridiculous and it should not be happening. I've been in my shoes and I know what I've experienced. It's not me who has a problem it is the hiring managers like you. I guess you are also going to say it's my fault if I ever got discriminated against right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,143,585 times
So I'm not understanding why the store manager where I interviewed at has to wait for the district manager. Usually once you talk to the store manager..that's it. I don't understand. I'm not applying for a supervisory/management position. That's usually the only time you need to meet with the district manager.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,538,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
So I'm not understanding why the store manager where I interviewed at has to wait for the district manager. Usually once you talk to the store manager..that's it. I don't understand. I'm not applying for a supervisory/management position. That's usually the only time you need to meet with the district manager.
In every corporation, whether it be large or small, there's a hierarchy. What you may have taken as "usual" in another situation may not be "usual" in this particular case in this particular company.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In every corporation, whether it be large or small, there's a hierarchy. What you may have taken as "usual" in another situation may not be "usual" in this particular case in this particular company.
That's probably why. It differs between companies. I've been on plenty of interviews and it was the store manager that pretty much told whether or not I got the job. I was hired on the spot by a store manager once.

I sure hope I get this job. I felt really good about it.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's sad that someone who old enough to be my mother is so immature. Someone losing everything is funny to someone who is almost 70?
It's quite befuddling how you could have twisted my response to reflect that I regard anyone "losing everything" as humorous while, pray tell, what does my age have to do with anything at all?

Immaturity? Sweet Pea, at 38 years old you've been laid off three times in the last five years and as a "professional employment counselor" didn't even know UE bennies were ending soon in your state as in most others, don't get out of bed until noon, don't answer your 'phone because you don't want the pesky calls from telemarketers or your pharmacy advising that your 'scrip is ready. You've habitually - when employed - both dunned and demeaned those who are unemployed but now you're in the same boat you expect sympathy? Please! Yes, it's a rude awakening but at least have the humility to accept that now is not the time to adhere to your bizarre set of rules which simply aren't working in this economic climate (if indeed they ever did).

You could easily move somewhere else to a more favorable employment climate (no wife, no children, no real estate, no car, no commitments) and/or you could back off from denigrating lower employment positions and get down to what real people do when the going gets rough which is just get going. Your choice has been to waste time and space by being on the internet from the time you finally get up at noon until the time you finally get to bed in the wee hours of the morning. Sympathy for your plight? Bah humbug!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
That's probably why. It differs between companies. I've been on plenty of interviews and it was the store manager that pretty much told whether or not I got the job. I was hired on the spot by a store manager once.

I sure hope I get this job. I felt really good about it.
Hope it works out for you. Good luck and, if it doesn't work out then just keep on plugging along doing your best. Trust me as one who's been there and done that, the downs can really be really down but, despite the fact that it sometimes seems that all is hopeless, as long as you somehow manage to retain optimism and a positive attitude, everything is cyclical and the better times DO come.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,666,221 times
Seems to me that all of these businesses, while not requiring a college degree, want you to pretend like you do. That meaning create a resume, wear a suit and tie to the interview, go through multiple interviews, etc etc etc all for basically a job flipping burgers, washing dishes, or folding t-shirts. These type jobs before were fine to submit an application and show up for work in jeans and a tshirt since thats what you were going to be wearing to work anyway. Before, that meant you were ready to work. Youd apply for a construction job wearing jeans, tshirt, and boots signifying that in case you were asked "when can you start?" you could reply "right now". Additionally, its almost as if the job market is so rigid that theres no difference between the hiring process for a white collar and a blue collar job.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Seems to me that all of these businesses, while not requiring a college degree, want you to pretend like you do. That meaning create a resume, wear a suit and tie to the interview, go through multiple interviews, etc etc etc all for basically a job flipping burgers, washing dishes, or folding t-shirts. These type jobs before were fine to submit an application and show up for work in jeans and a tshirt since thats what you were going to be wearing to work anyway. Before, that meant you were ready to work. Youd apply for a construction job wearing jeans, tshirt, and boots signifying that in case you were asked "when can you start?" you could reply "right now". Additionally, its almost as if the job market is so rigid that theres no difference between the hiring process for a white collar and a blue collar job.
The times have changed. You can rebel against it and fight tooth and nail about it or you can adapt. Your choice. That simple.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Hope it works out for you. Good luck and, if it doesn't work out then just keep on plugging along doing your best. Trust me as one who's been there and done that, the downs can really be really down but, despite the fact that it sometimes seems that all is hopeless, as long as you somehow manage to retain optimism and a positive attitude, everything is cyclical and the better times DO come.
Thank you!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,666,221 times
Quote:
The times have changed. You can rebel against it and fight tooth and nail about it or you can adapt. Your choice. That simple.
but why did it change? Did a bunch of low wage people cry and whine "I may not have a college degree but im special too!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment