Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:32 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
It's at Subway too... Why do you need to get the district manager involved? smdh The manager said she was going to call today, but they closed at 9PM. She also said if she doesn't call today then she will tomorrow.

I'm so tired of these manager's games nowadays. Some even want to get pissy and upset with you for calling them back when they were supposed to...I feel this way, don't make a promise to me you're going to call and then don't.

This is so frustrating, depressing, and ridiculous. I just want to work! Ugh...
Some companies require DM approval for ALL hiring. And it depends on how much of a micro manager the DM is as to whether or not it will be a "rubber stamp" approval or an actual conversation. I have worked with both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I know the feeling, I'm sick of being home myself. This is the longest I ever been out of work.
I haven't been out of work long enough like I was last year, but I don't want to spend another year not working. I'm not eligible for unemployment benefiits so I have nothing to live off of right now.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The general consensus is that the job application and interview process at Subway is very easy. I wonder why you had such a unique experience. It could just be that Subway is under watch by Subway Corp for performance.

Subway Interview Questions | Glassdoor
I don't know, but every interview I had the store manager usually had the last say so. DM only were involved when it was management/supervisor positions. smdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Some companies require DM approval for ALL hiring. And it depends on how much of a micro manager the DM is as to whether or not it will be a "rubber stamp" approval or an actual conversation. I have worked with both.
I never had that experience at any of the job interviews for minimum wage until the last 2. I hope she sticks to her word and call me tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Tons of employer hire disabled people. In fact, I would argue that most employers don't even know what Asperger's Syndrome is.

The question is, what are YOU doing to stand out amongst the other candidates? We know you can't put down experience and education you don't have. However, just simply submitting a paper application in casual clothes and expecting a response when hundreds of other folks are doing the same thing isn't going to get you anywhere.

In this economy (a couple years ago), I would submit online applications, wait 24 hours, and call the manager and ask straight up for an interview. The worst they could say is "no."

I actually did get a fast food job doing just that before. I just so happen to speak with the General Manager. I came in the same day I spoke with her, she asked me a list of scripted questions, and was impressed by my answers. I didn't even dress up in a fancy suit either, but business casual clothes, and I brought along a resume. I didn't hear a response after about a week, so I called back to see what was going on, and they wanted me to come in for orientation.

I understand it's hard, but even when you don't have experience, you have to do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to stand out above the other candidates. Sometimes that's all it takes. otherwise you're just another piece of paper to them. I know there are tons of unemployed folks on this forum, but I know they are doing everything possible to stand out as the best candidates for the position they apply for, instead of saying "If I do "such-and-such", I shouldn't have to do any more." You will likely still fail, but at least you feel good knowing you tried your best and utilized all possible ways to land the job. If that means creating college-level cover letters, resumes, dressing in fancy business suits and creating career portfolios with fake work samples, so be it.

And ultimately, you may eventually find that one employer who will hire you despite your lack of education/experience and train you, because you went above and beyond what the other candidates did when inquiring with their company about the job.
competition, standing out when it comes to jobs is the type of competition i hate, despise, loathe the most

Old 08-07-2012, 08:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,714 times
That's the thing 313weather. Employers don't know what it is, so more often then not they judge. Of course it's the same with any kind of disability or impairment.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
That's the thing 313weather. Employers don't know what it is, so more often then not they judge. Of course it's the same with any kind of disability or impairment.
Ok, but my question is, besides just submitting n application like hundreds of other people, what are you doing to try and stand out above the rest of them?

Have you considered the possibility that they're not discriminating against you because of your disability, but rather they haven't even looked at your application in the pile with thousands of others?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 AM

That could be the case. But I also don't doubt that I could be discriminated against. The thing is when you decide wether or not to disclose it. If you don't, and you come off rigid in the interview, it could raise suspicion if you were rejected because of it. But if you do tell them it can also raise suspicion if they just say they "chose someone else". For jobs at a restaurant or grocery store where you don't need skills, it can make you wonder.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm applying for jobs and I am not getting called back by managers. At all. I am looking for jobs that require no skills, it shouldn't be as hard as it's been.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I'm applying for jobs and I am not getting called back by managers. At all. I am looking for jobs that require no skills, it shouldn't be as hard as it's been.
Tell me about it. The last interview I had, I thought she would have called by now. IMO, calling applicants back for a job offer should be a priority. Don't leave us hanging. She told me she would call yesterday or today...I had to call again and of course she's "busy." I don't get how hard is it to call somebody and tell them, "You got a job, start tomorrow!"

When I went in there, I saw how busy they were, but I only saw the manager and one other employee working there and they seem to have their hands full. You would think she would jump at the opportunity to call people to come in ASAP for a job.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Tell me about it. The last interview I had, I thought she would have called by now. IMO, calling applicants back for a job offer should be a priority. Don't leave us hanging. She told me she would call yesterday or today...I had to call again and of course she's "busy." I don't get how hard is it to call somebody and tell them, "You got a job, start tomorrow!"

When I went in there, I saw how busy they were, but I only saw the manager and one other employee working there and they seem to have their hands full. You would think she would jump at the opportunity to call people to come in ASAP for a job.
The only thing I can think of is they thought they had it in the budget to hire someone else but they didn't which is why you saw those two employees working hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment