Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times

Advertisements

The reality is the time spent reading resumes, interviewing, selecting finalists, than selecting a candidate are extra tasks in addition to the duties of a manager. His/her priority is his normal set of tasks, NOT the hiring decision NOR making you an offer. So expecting waitress service from a hiring manager is luny. It would NOT happen in anything short of a SELLER'S employment market.

Simply recognize you need to operate on the buyer's schedule, not the seller's you represent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 03:57 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Massachusetts is supposed to have 6% unemployment rate but yet I just looked at a bunch of newspapers and the employment listings are empty except for 2 or 3 of the same corporate mega jobs being listed. Online job boards are no different. I've seen the same job postings for going on 2 years now. I speculate this is the same way in other states too. Everyone boasts about jobs but when you look around there is literally nothing. Couple that with the joke of a hiring process you have to go through these days for ALL jobs including minimum wager's and you can see why people are on the internet voicing their concerns. All the media big shots and the joe blow big shots slamming the unemployed should really put their money where there mouth is.

There is a reason why you see the same job postings for years on end. Contrary to popular sheeple belief, it's not because of lack of applicants. It's actually because the companies are corrupt and cheat employees, discriminate against disabilities, certain races, have insane requirements, treat employees like trash, etc.

One of my slogans is if you treat people like garbage you deserve whatever comes your way. The masses have been conditioned to believe that they can treat people however they want, and they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. Well it doesn't work that way folks. You should be expecting what you dish out to come back your way. That's one of the morals I live by and accept.
If these employers were smart, what they would do is seek out those who have been out of work the most and are trying their best to get a job. Not hire those with a job already. I feel like people like me would appreciate having a job moreso than a person who already has a job. People like me know how it feels to be out of work and we do our best to keep our job. I was like that at my last job. I tried to go above and beyond at what I did to keep it.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
There are valid points on all sides of this debate - to touch a upon a few:

1) Lawsuits vs. Respect: The question, "Why didn't they get back to me?" is a good one. As others on this thread have mentioned, there is a limit as to what people can say or do when acting as a representative of the company. They are probably rarely allowed to send out personalized emails to job candidates that would get into any details, and they clearly aren't allowed to contact each person who applied online for a job.

That being said, I do feel that a certain level of respect for the candidates is required, and it would not violate any company procedures. If a candidate makes it to an on-site interview, they are clearly past the major hurdles, and now have given up time and money to impress the corporation. It is only fair of the company to give them an honest reply if they didn't get the job. Now, obviously they can't say something like, "You stink, we didn't like your hairstyle, drop dead!" but it is extremely disrespectful for a company to say *nothing* to the candidates that made it to on-site interviews and treat them as if they don't exist. A sane corporation would not bring in more than a half-dozen people for on-site interviews for a job posting, so it can't possibly take that long to send them all a generic, honest email telling the truth: the position has been cancelled, we found somebody else, we're waiting to win a contract, etc. Don't leave the job up on the website forever and have us wondering if it was something we did wrong or if we were just being toyed with to keep HR busy.

2) Accountability in Hiring: This is a big one, and almost a four-letter word in some circles. The question here is "who is accountable for the hiring process?" These days, I think most companies have no clue.

A personal example from my quest for a job: Over the first 1.5 years I was out of work, I applied to a variety of positions at a local engineering company and never heard anything back. Then, they eventually contacted me and called me in for an on-site interview. Before this happened, they asked me if I had "received an email rejecting me for the job?" I hadn't, but I then learned that the company's automated resume filters were set up to basically reject *everyone* who applied for the job?! The engineering manager was angered by this and demanded that HR let him interview candidates for a change! Well, I got to the interview, it seemed to go well, but I then was then flat-out told by the engineering manager that all of the other jobs that the company had posted for at least the past 1.5 years were FAKE! Only now were they planning on hiring people. Well, the on-site lasted 4 hours, I met every major engineer and manager in the place, was given a tour of the whole facility and complimented on my experience... and the company decided to hire nobody and, as far as I can tell, is back to posting fake jobs again.

This company, despite it's problems, actually had a leader who was trying to take charge of the situation - he briefly forced HR to stop playing games and let him interview people, and he admitted that the earlier job postings were all fake. Now, imagine how common the same problems are everywhere, and realize that most places don't have anyone who is willing to challenge the system. So, the fake jobs continue, nobody is "qualified," and the unemployed are unjustly blamed for all of this nonsense.

Last edited by Rambler123; 07-22-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You are assuming that is all they work. Also, I do not consider unemployed losers, I was there before as well. However, all these posts I see are only seeking like minded people to agree with them, and get aggravated when called out from those who think different.

People can state their observations and complain, but there is a way to do it without sounding like you think corporate America is out to get you. We want good employees, we want employes who understand their place, are innovative and can accept the culture they are going into. You talking to the hiring manager will get you nowhere since most employers are making sure they dot all the I's a nd crossing all the t's so keep lawsuits at the minimum.
First of all, corporate america is the one who has all power. Us little people are only trying to play by the rules that are given to us. We can't do anymore than that.

Stay in our place? Really?! That's one of the dumbest things I could read on this forum. It's people like that treat employees like slaves.

People like you always say we shouldn't complain and blame others, but people like you do EXACTLY that..how are you any better? I'm not "complaining" nor "whining" by the way. I speak the truth and that's just how life is right now for people.

Obviously employers aren't looking for the best people because some of the people I see currently working can't do their jobs that well. Let's stop fooling ourselves into think that employers always pick the best of the best when nepotism, favortism, and other factors play a part in it. Wake up, this is reality. Life isn't so black and white and cut and dry.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There are valid points on all sides of this debate - to touch a upon a few:

1) Lawsuits vs. Respect: The question, "Why didn't they get back to me?" is a good one. As others on this thread have mentioned, there is a limit as to what people can say or do when acting as a representative of the company. They are probably rarely allowed to send out personalized emails to job candidates that would get into any details, and they clearly aren't allowed to contact each person who applied online for a job.

That being said, I do feel that a certain level of respect for the candidates is required, and it would not violate any company procedures. If a candidate makes it to an on-site interview, they are clearly past the major hurdles, and now have given up time and money to impress the corporation. It is only fair of the company to give them an honest reply if they didn't get the job. Now, obviously they can't say something like, "You stink, we didn't like your hairstyle, drop dead!" but it is extremely disrespectful for a company to say *nothing* to the candidates that made it to on-site interviews and treat them as if they don't exist. A sane corporation would not bring in more than a half-dozen people for on-site interviews for a job posting, so it can't possibly take that long to send them all a generic, honest email telling the truth: the position has been cancelled, we found somebody else, we're waiting to win a contract, etc. Don't leave the job up on the website forever and have us wondering if it was something we did wrong or if we were just being toyed with to keep HR busy.

2) Accountability in Hiring: This is a big one, and almost a four-letter word in some circles. The question here is "who is accountable for the hiring process?" These days, I think most large companies have no clue.

Let me tell you a story to illustrate this: Over the first 1.5 years I was out of work, I applied to a variety of engineering positions at a local engineering company and never heard anything back. Then, they eventually contacted me and called me in for an on-site interview. Before this happened, they asked me if I had "received an email rejecting me for the job?" I hadn't, but I then learned that the company's automated resume filters were set up to basically reject *everyone* who applied for the job?! The engineering manager apparently got angry at this and demanded that HR let him actually interview candidates for a change! Well, I got to the interview, it seemed to go well, but I then was then flat-out told by the engineering manager that all of the other jobs that the company had posted for at least the past 1.5 years were FAKE! Only now were they planning on hiring people. Well, the on-site lasted 4 hours, I met every major engineer and manager in the place, was given a tour of the whole facility and complimented on my experience... and the company decided to hire nobody and, as far as I can tell, is back to posting fake jobs again.

This company, despite it's problems, actually had a leader who was trying to take charge of the situation - he forced HR to stop playing games and let him interview people, and he admitted that the earlier job postings were all fake. Now, imagine how common the same problems are everywhere, and realize that most places don't have anyone who is willing to challenge the system. So, the fake jobs continue, nobody is "qualified," and the unemployed are unjustly blamed for all of this nonsense.
See that's another thing. Even on the company's official website, you don't know what is real and what is fake. I don't want to waste my time applying for something and expecting something that's not even there in the first place. You don't know how many times I went on a company's official website to look at "open positions" to find out they weren't hiring at all when I called.

Also I applied somewhere Monday and then I called the next day(thank God I did) and they already "lost" my application on Tuesday. smdh

It's VERY important to call and ask questions. Sometimes you might even get somewhere further in the hiriing process if you call and stay on their butts about it. Managers get lazy at times too.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,664 times
I've talked to teenagers younger then me in different states who were straight A students in high school who did volunteering projects all through high school, good behavior, good attendance, but they have zero chance of getting jobs at their local supermarkets, retail stores and even warehouses (the few left). The people they see working are often adults who are sloppy workers with grumpy attitudes. Of course they also see immigrants who could possibly have questionable citizenship status. Lots of restaurants have illegals working in their kitchens because they will work for under minimum wage and they get paid cash so they don't pay taxes. Ironic it is because I bet there's millions of americans who would work for under minimum wage right now. As long as they have enough gas money to put in their cars to park on a deserted road at night or a rest stop to sleep.

The american system is nothing but lies and illusions and hypocrisy. Money is a slave system because you have to depend on pieces of paper to fulfill your needs. I laugh at people who say we have a free market capitalist system. We most certainly do not. If we did, why are police arresting teenagers who open lemonade stands? They can't get jobs because their fellow american employers have SOLD them out of getting their foot in the door, college as we know is a DEAD END for the most part. Opening a lemonade stand selling cups of lemonade for 10 cents. That's free market capitalism. What we really have is a corporate controlled almighty dollar slave system advertised as capitalism to the sheeple of america. The powers that be don't want you opting out of their slave system.

Just look at Waco.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
See that's another thing. Even on the company's official website, you don't know what is real and what is fake. I don't want to waste my time applying for something and expecting something that's not even there in the first place. You don't know how many times I went on a company's official website to look at "open positions" to find out they weren't hiring at all when I called.

Also I applied somewhere Monday and then I called the next day(thank God I did) and they already "lost" my application on Tuesday. smdh

It's VERY important to call and ask questions. Sometimes you might even get somewhere further in the hiriing process if you call and stay on their butts about it. Managers get lazy at times too.

I called a company to ask about openings on friday and they told me that they don't advertise job openings publicly.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I called a company to ask about openings on friday and they told me that they don't advertise job openings publicly.
Yeah and some of them still post them. They should take it down. That's false advertising.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 PM

69 posts, read 101,130 times
I remember one time a job i applied for at a big corp, they sent me an email 1 year later thanking me for my application and that they now have hired someone else, 1 year? come on...

Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanab View Post
I remember one time a job i applied for at a big corp, they sent me an email 1 year later thanking me for my application and that they now have hired someone else, 1 year? come on...
Haha yeah that happens. I mean what's the point in letting the person know that anyway? Most people forget where they applied to after a couple of months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment