Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
So why do they advertise to be hiring and say "apply online" but when I type my zip and location nothing comes up? Why misses HR lady. People like yourself are the ones pulling these stunts. You use foreign backed personality tests and your online systems are broken. 3,200 jobs when there are millions unemployed? Yeah, some miracle that is.
I'm not in HR and my company doesn't use personality tests or even take online applications. What do you think of them apples?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
As I have pointed out many times. We are becoming a low wage service economy. The funny thing is we the taxpayer subsidize this it is a joke. These people can not afford to live so public assistance picks up the tab. Low wage service jobs is where our future job growth will be. In fact 7 out 10 jobs in next ten years will be low wage jobs. This is from the BLS from it's own reports. Two of the biggest areas of growth fast food and retail.

7 in 10 NEW job yes; not 7 in 10 of ALL jobs, a vital difference, as new jobs will account for a minor fraction of total jobs.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
I know people with high school diplomas and didn't start or finish college with good jobs. They didn't need a worthless degree to get hired. Waving around the BA at the hiring manager was just stupid.
I know people with high school diplomas who can't get jobs or jobs that pay above minimum wage. I know a girl with a BA in English making around $60k a year a few years out of college. So what? You know what that shows all of us here at C-D? It's shows that you and I know a few people living exceptional livelihoods. Big deal; get out of here with that "I know people" crap. 'Cause guess what? We all know somebody who does this or that and is special. It's not necessarily indicative of the big picture.

Instead of wasting our time with your myopic observations, why don't you go look at the statistics of what your so-called worthless degree holders are making over the course of their lives as opposed to non-degree holders.

Edited to add: I don't have doubts about what you're saying in regards to knowing people with high school diplomas who have good jobs. But as Dylan put it, "these times, they are a changin'". It's a requirement for most good paying jobs today to have either a lot of experience or a college degree. So people just starting their careers out now quite often have to have a degree to get a decent starting job and be eligible for advancement opportunities. Not always, but often. 20-30 years ago, all you needed was a diploma to get a job and then move up through the ranks. Are these folks you know all 50+ years of age? I'm guessing yes. The people you are referring to are likely the last remaining lot of this kind. But they are slowly fading from the workforce. The new entrants need to have a degree in most cases just to get looked at by professional level companies.

Last edited by Tekkie; 07-26-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If that were the case, how come prices didnt go down when manufacturing was wholesale shipped overseas? In fact, inflation didnt miss a beat.
Oh, but they did come down and they came down a lot!

Take 1962 televisions for example.

In 1962 you could get a black and white Magnavox for as little as $498.50 in 1962 dollars and these televisions were manufactured right in the good ol' U.S. of A.

But how much money was $498.50 in 1962?

According this this inflation calculator $498.50 was equivalent to $3,787.91 today. Can you imagine paying that for a television today?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw1 View Post
How does a BA in philosophy help you in the job market?
Don't know. BA in philosphy has been around since colleges were first founded. There's people with ba's in philosophy who are doing fine right now.

Quote:
So waving that BA around is like waving around a high school diploma. Not completely worthless, but not worth much.
I disagree. The person put in the time, effort, not to mention money to get degree. They had to work for their degree just like their high school diploma. The only difference is, the person with the college degree spent x amount of years to continue their education. The person with the high school diploma did not. It's still not the same.

Quote:
If you could switch the major field on the diploma to accounting (NOT business admin), math or electrical engineering, your job prospects would be a hundred times better. Apply only for jobs that require those BA degrees.
Yes to electrical engineering, question marks (?) to math and accounting. There could be an over supply of accountants. 5-10 years ago people were saying to go into teaching. And we all know what's going on in that field currently.

Quote:
Most BA degrees are a dime a dozen just like high school diplomas.
How do you know. Did you conduct a poll? If so, can I see the numbers.

Quote:
I know people with high school diplomas and didn't start or finish college with good jobs. They didn't need a worthless degree to get hired.
Good for them. I know someone who doesn't have a college degree too and he manages a carwash and gets paid 50,000 dollars a year, and he's my age. I guess that means we know some people then. Kudos for knowing people.

Quote:
Waving around the BA at the hiring manager was just stupid.
How is that stupid? Were you the hiring manager I talked to yesterday? Do you know for a fact if he thought it was stupid? I used it to see if it could be helpful.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I know people with high school diplomas who can't get jobs or jobs that pay above minimum wage. I know a girl with a BA in English making around $60k a year a few years out of college. So what? You know what that shows all of us here at C-D? It's shows that you and I know a few people living exceptional livelihoods. Big deal; get out of here with that "I know people" crap. 'Cause guess what? We all know somebody who does this or that and is special. It's not necessarily indicative of the big picture.

Instead of wasting our times with your myopic observations, why don't you go look at the statistics of what your so-called worthless degree holders are making over the course of their lives as opposed to non-degree holders.
Bwaha, you've just managed to exhibit the same behavior you are criticizing... Not all HS grads end up in the poor house, just like not all college grads go on to earn considerably more than their non graduate peers. It's WHAT you can do and how hard you are willing to work at it that earns the bacon, the same as it always was.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:10 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Bwaha, you've just managed to exhibit the same behavior you are criticizing... Not all HS grads end up in the poor house, just like not all college grads go on to earn considerably more than their non graduate peers. It's WHAT you can do and how hard you are willing to work at it that earns the bacon, the same as it always was.
Actually, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. We all know someone living exceptional livelihoods that we can make examples of, but that's not always indicative of the big picture. Looks like I snuck one past you. j/k

I also added some more to that last post, so you might want to go back and check it out. It elaborates a little more on what point I was trying to make.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Per usual you have people providing personal examples and trying to draw widespread conclusions from it. Of course that is rather foolish.

As others have said if you are going for a retail job your college degree doesn't matter. Most places don't even care if the managers have a degree.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh, but they did come down and they came down a lot!

Take 1962 televisions for example.

In 1962 you could get a black and white Magnavox for as little as $498.50 in 1962 dollars and these televisions were manufactured right in the good ol' U.S. of A.

But how much money was $498.50 in 1962?

According this this inflation calculator $498.50 was equivalent to $3,787.91 today. Can you imagine paying that for a television today?

Logical fallacy. Comparable consumer electronics are a small fraction of the total economy, and are not a representation of inflation on a whole, which would be here

Historical Inflation Rate | InflationData.com

Dispite a couple blips in the late 70's early 80's and early 90's, inflation has been pretty consistant since 1962.

Now, if we want to cherry pick examples, Ill pick a pair of jeans.

Why is it, that a pair of Levis costs about $6 in 1960, and Levis jeans are now about $40? If you use your little calculator, youll realize that it costs about the same for Levis jeans now in real dollars as it did in 1960, dispite Levis gradually shipping their factories overseas, with the last one closing in 2003. If you ask anyone who had a pair of Levis in the 60's, they will say the quality of todays jeans isn't remotely equivalent to the jeans made then.

So, we are esentially paying the same price, for a crappier product, that costs far less to manufacture. So, where did all the scratch go?

Check the bottom line.....Levi Strauss is now operating at close to a 50% profit margin, even with high cotton costs.

Levi Strauss profit falls 38% - MarketWatch

As close as 2000, before finishing off the last of its US based manufacturing,

Falling Sales Reduces Profit At Levi by 52% - SFGate

Levis was posting in the vicinity of a 40% profit margin.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yes there will be. As I look at my friends, relatives and neighbors, there has been a few that were unemployed, and maybe a couple that are chronic unemployed in this economy, but for the most part, the vast majority are earning money, we go to the movies, we eat out, we go to sports events, we shop at the stores, we buy cool toys from time to time, we still exchange birthday and holiday gifts, we live!
And you believe that this is just going to happen in perpetuity, even after aircraft are flying themselves, and you and your buddies are out on your asses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment