Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times

Advertisements

...for an interview if they already have their mind made up that I'm not the right candidate for them?

Today I had an prescreen interview on the phone for Amazon at 4:30. I had the phone near me around 4:00PM so I can hear the phone and be available quick enough to answer for them to interview me. They had me waiting about an hour and a half for them to call me back. I thought they forgot about me because by the time they called me for my interview, it was around 5:15PM...waaaaaaay after my appointment time. So she calls me and I don't remember an apology and she even said, "Well I'm sorry we had your waiting for a COUPLE OF MINUTES." Umm...no...I would say it was more than a couple of minutes. She sounded like a dingbat. I think they forgot to call me because I had to call the staffing agency for them to email the interviewer. I should have forgot about it. Just inconsiderate. smdh

So then I thought I did pretty good with the interview considering how worried and concerned I was when they didn't call me until later. I tried just remain calm and do my best answering the questions she gave me. They were really general and didn't seem very relevant to the job. So maybe less than 5 minutes after we were done, I got a email from Amazon that wasn't being considered. I was like, "Wow, THAT quick?!" It tells me that they didn't want me for the job before they even interviewed me. They were not only late, but already rejected me for the job. Oh well...I kind of had that weird feeling I wasn't going to get it anyway.

I just hope I'm not wasting my time going all the way to Columbia for some jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 05:58 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times
It's because they can.

Their goal is to screen you out, whether it's your error or theirs.

I was reading a book today about finding a job and they said HR people are "very over worked" these days.

Okay.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
There are no jobs - that's the real problem at the root of all this.

Most interviews exist to keep HR busy and meet legal requirements before they promote the guy who already works there or shuffle responsibilities around - in either case, nobody gets hired, which is the goal... it keeps costs down.

I've been through this... there was the joke of an engineering company that skipped out on TWO phone interviews with me and each time waited a week before they got back to me and gave me snarky attitude, as if it was somehow my fault they didn't call or return my calls or emails... Obviously, I didn't get that job. And don't even get me started on all the pointless on-site interviews where they blow smoke up my rear, tell me how great I am, show me the entire facility and product team, and then decide to hire nobody "because its cheaper" - half the time, they tell me nothing and act like the interview never happened, too!

It's a joke, but it keeps people employed and continues the lie of "there are plenty of jobs out there!"

Oh, and the only way most HR people are overworked these days is preparing layoffs packages or cranking the requirements on their posted "jobs" up high enough that nobody can meet them, IMHO.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
It's because they can.

Their goal is to screen you out, whether it's your error or theirs.

I was reading a book today about finding a job and they said HR people are "very over worked" these days.

Okay.
Most of the HR people I see are just running around organizing things for orientation. Some of them even enjoy their jobs because they don't have to do as much as the other employees.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
At least they notified you instead of keeping you waiting. I personally would rather that.

Consider yourself lucky. Do you want to work for someone who is can't manage their time?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM

69 posts, read 101,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Most interviews exist to keep HR busy and meet legal requirements before they promote the guy who already works there or shuffle responsibilities around - in either case, nobody gets hired, which is the goal... it keeps costs down.

WORD!

Exactly true, i had a agency calling me a week back and they were like wanting to meet me, being experienced in job hunting and the whole surrounding game of it i could pretty fast conclude that there were no job she had in mind

I told the woman if they she had any offer that she was considering me for, she couldn't answer and kept going on about meeting me for an interview

Being a little ignored i told here to call back if she actually had any jobs and i don't waste time being a baby-sitter for her just because she doesn't have anything to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment