Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And with five jobs for every qualified person, maybe that's a career path that more should consider.

Because magically, if we train 4 million more diesel mechanics, 4 million more diesel mechanic jobs will appear.

Forgive me, but Ive never seen any place desperate for diesel mechanics. It seems like there is more than enough to go around the available jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Because magically, if we train 4 million more diesel mechanics, 4 million more diesel mechanic jobs will appear.

Forgive me, but Ive never seen any place desperate for diesel mechanics. It seems like there is more than enough to go around the available jobs.
Um, yeah. I know of at least 50 open jobs for diesel mechanics right now across the country.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Um, yeah. I know of at least 50 open jobs for diesel mechanics right now across the country.

55 across the country huh.....that sounds promissing for millions of people who are unemployed, underemployed, or who have skills that have no place in the economy.....

Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
55 across the country huh.....that sounds promissing for millions of people who are unemployed, underemployed, or who have skills that have no place in the economy.....
It's not like I know of all of them. I'm sure for every one I'm aware of there are 50 or more that I'm not.

I'm not suggesting that everyone go back to school to be a mechanic. I am suggesting it's a growth industry, the jobs can't be outsourced overseas, and it pays well. Instead of pigeon-holing SMART and MOTIVATED high school kids into college programs, maybe some of them should be encouraged to pursue the trades.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
...Some people over 50 don't want to work that hard. They want to take it easy and enjoy life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Do not judge a book by its cover.

Well, a lot of 50 year olds I know still have kids around and are working their butts off so don't generalize.
Jobaba didn't.....he/she stated Some people, not ALL people over 50.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 14,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
My problem with mostly older people is that they aren't willing to get with the program, change, and adapt to their surroundings. I don't like the way society is today either, but oh well that's a part of life. I had to constantly change and adapt to the way society is today and older people should do the same. Most of them aren't willing to learn anything new about technology or learn new languages because "that's not how the good ol' days did it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh please. The entire premise of the thread is a generalization about older people!

No generation of kids has ever been more worshipped, spoiled, and given every opportunity to succeed than the generation now entering the workforce.

TONS of money and time were spent catering to your every whim; making sure Johnny got into the best college - no expense was spared.

Every generation has it's challenges.
You are totally right. My parents lived through the Great Depression and WWII. Kiddo, when you turn 50, then you will REALLY be able to say you have had to constantly change and adapt to society. Remember, we have been doing that for a hell of a lot longer than you have.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM

There are going to be more over 50 workers in our nation than ever before. Employers who discriminate due to age are in for a big societal shift. There are going to be more older workers than younger workers. I find it hysterical to think about that 37 year old woman saying that - considering she is pushing 40 - and that same discrimination is coming up behind her pretty quick. I would love to see her feel the hurt and pain she wants to inflict on others happen to her. It will happen.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgirl52 View Post
There are going to be more over 50 workers in our nation than ever before. Employers who discriminate due to age are in for a big societal shift. There are going to be more older workers than younger workers. I find it hysterical to think about that 37 year old woman saying that - considering she is pushing 40 - and that same discrimination is coming up behind her pretty quick. I would love to see her feel the hurt and pain she wants to inflict on others happen to her. It will happen.
My motto is treat the elders with respect. Give them a job.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM

134 posts, read 443,982 times
My advice is to evaluate everyone, find ways to improve their workflow and become more efficient, etc. After a period of 2-3 months, if nothing has changed or improved, then you simply document that they are not performing their duties in a reasonable time. This must be done to every employee and will at least give hard evidence to remove a poor-performing employee.

I find that if a younger employee is teamed up with someone older, they can learn from one another. The environment has to remain friendly to prevent any legal issues. But sometimes that high motivation can rub off, maybe not right away, but over time.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM

I am astounded by our society and this entire attitude that younger people are smarter than older people. Somehow, this evolved out of technology and made its way into advertising.

Additionally, we brag about how our life expectancy is sooo long and we can all live well into our 90's yet the workforce starts discriminating against workers at 40. How does that work? Half of a person's life is to be spent in low paying jobs because they are considered "old"?

The problem isn't with older workers, it's with our culture that disrespects older people (even though there are more of them) and idolizes younger people. When an older person views a younger person, they have a sort of tender amusement at the things they say and do that an older person considers inexperienced or immature, but they know the young person will learn someday.

It is an arrogance with some younger people who have bought into a crazy societal ideal that they are wiser than a person with 30+ years on them. That's not even possible in nature. Some may know a bit more technology, but I'm in my 50's and I know a lot more about technology than a lot of younger people who don't work in my industry (which is technology). Using a Smartphone and an iPad doesn't make you technologically advanced.

There are a lot of tired and burned out younger and older people. You have to isolate who you are talking about instead of saying "all people over 50 are tired..." People change in their 50's and some find the need to reinvent their lives after years of doing the same thing. You burn out after awhile doing anything. That is possible for some and not for others. Some are afraid of change or some just can't.

Regardless, the people in my life who are my age are really dynamic and alive. Maybe that's just who I choose to be around but we don't try to be young - we laugh at those years where we didn't know anything. We are happy to be older and wiser. The only difference is that we get bored with what we are doing now and find a need to change. That's part of mid-life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment