Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM

670 posts, read 1,272,024 times

Advertisements

I am contracting and have had 2 permanent jobs with very good companies slip right through my fingers because I obviously dont know how to answer the salary question. I have always hated the question. Anyhow, a friend encouraged me to ask for what I want and I did that for the first time ever and the offers went right past me to the lowest bidder. In job scenario # 2, I gave the recruiter the range I wanted to stay in and she was fine with it, however when I met with the hiring manager, they tried to sell the BA job into a lesser paying job and cleary werent on the same page as the recruiter. How do I answer this question without losing out on the opportunity? SO frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,554,912 times
Assume that the job would require a TON of hours, and
be disruptive to every personal commitment you have now or would like to have in the future, and
not actually come through with the advancement that being on the inside is supposed to have..

How much MORE than you're earning now would it take to make that your reality?
There's your answer.

If the job turns out to be better? Then that's gravy on your biscuit.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your response. I actually asked for less than I am making now and that still wasnt low enough. They offered it to someone else for "considerably less" per the recruiter. I asked for a little bit less considering I am a contractor and figured with the benefits that I could take less money and it still wasnt low enough. I am blessed with good pay as a contractor but desperately want/NEED benefits and paid time off.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,554,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
I am blessed with good pay as a contractor but desperately want/NEED benefits and paid time off.
As a contractor you're supposed to be budgeting for your own time off.
However much you earn... divide it by 45 weeks working and PLAN the 7 weeks off.
As for HI... we all need that fixed.

Good luck in the hunt.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM

331 posts, read 601,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
I am contracting and have had 2 permanent jobs with very good companies slip right through my fingers because I obviously dont know how to answer the salary question. I have always hated the question. Anyhow, a friend encouraged me to ask for what I want and I did that for the first time ever and the offers went right past me to the lowest bidder. In job scenario # 2, I gave the recruiter the range I wanted to stay in and she was fine with it, however when I met with the hiring manager, they tried to sell the BA job into a lesser paying job and cleary werent on the same page as the recruiter. How do I answer this question without losing out on the opportunity? SO frustrated.

^^^^Many job placements/colleges/HR managers will tell you to look on the internet for the average salary for that job in your area, and depending on your experience go up or down from that. You can even print off the page and explain that you are asking for that amount given what the "average pay is at that time in your area & on your experience or flexability".

Best wishes!!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,306,776 times
I give a range. $30,000 - $40,000. Most entry level jobs for recent grads pay within that range so that is what I say.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,069,032 times
Adding another suggestion to the mix - If you know the company name, go onto Glassdoor or CareerBliss, type in the company name, and if its on the site, you can look up the salary range and reviews for the position with that company. It only works if others have left information on the company, obviously, but it has been helpful in researching the positions I've been interested in. The more you know...

Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,588,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I give a range. $30,000 - $40,000. Most entry level jobs for recent grads pay within that range so that is what I say.
I'd go probably $45K - $55K if it's an independant contractor position. Realistically, I'd ask if I could just be a regular employee since being an independant contractor means that you'll work as a regular employee but you pay more on your taxes and benefits. I think you also surrender some of your employment rights as well, but I'm not sure on that.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM

The going rate for a Business Analyst_Project Manager job is about $80K, but they offered $50K. The recruiter suggested that I was in range by asking me in for a face to face and then when I got there the hiring manager totally ignored the job title and responsibilities of the job and tried to present the job as a lower paying "UAT" testing job, which totally confused me as there was nothing in the title or description about testing. I felt like she was then trying to justify paying a lower salary. What I asked for was in range but there were other applicants who asked for less in both instances and they got the jobs. The recruiter said she thought they'd pay me since I had everything they were looking for in education and experience. This was a tricky one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment