Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I thought the school career center had relationships with local employers?
Obviously not because I tried getting my school to help me, and outside of helping me with some resume tips(which haven't helped much), they aren't able to do a darn thing. It's ridiculous because I went to a so called reputable school, but...*shrugs*. If schools helped more, I bet you there wouldn't be many unemployed graduates with debt they can't pay for. I have all this student loan debt and I'm not getting anywhere with a job. It's not very encouraging. I regret even going to college now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I thought the career services advisor at colleges set up job fairs and provided job leads? Are you saying that the only thing they do is help revise resumes and cover letters?
Exactamundo! There's a reason why there's so many of us that are unemployed...it's not because of laziness.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:26 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Obviously not because I tried getting my school to help me, and outside of helping me with some resume tips(which haven't helped much), they aren't able to do a darn thing. It's ridiculous because I went to a so called reputable school, but...*shrugs*. If schools helped more, I bet you there wouldn't be many unemployed graduates with debt they can't pay for. I have all this student loan debt and I'm not getting anywhere with a job. It's not very encouraging. I regret even going to college now.
So I';m trying to figure out what do they get paid to do?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
So I';m trying to figure out what do they get paid to do?
I'm trying to figure that out myself. They are the ones who are supposed to have connections. I didn't pay to go to school just to attend classes everyday. smdh

All they've done so far for me was give me some resume tips that I have figured out on my own anyway, give me some job ideas that I've already thought about before AND tried, and pretty much brag about how many people have found jobs because of them(this is a lie). Pretty much I've done everything myself anyway without their help. I haven't been better nor worse without a career counselor. I can easily do their job if all they do is not help people.

I was highly insulted though that somebody said I was look for "preferential treatment" based on me graduating from there. Well..what the heck did they think? It's not like I got my education for free, no I have to pay back everything I invested in my education and you think I'm asking for much because I want my school to help me a little bit? I got more help from another school, but the problem is that the school is in Columbia and they only got connections in that town. I'm about 60-90 minutes away from all those connections.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 AM

I would suggest any kid nowadays, once you turn 16, GET YOURSELF A JOB as soon as possible and keep that job while you go to college. Keep it after college until you find a full time job with a salary and benefits. I wish I would have done that instead of listening to my parents.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:38 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I'm trying to figure that out myself. They are the ones who are supposed to have connections. I didn't pay to go to school just to attend classes everyday. smdh

All they've done so far for me was give me some resume tips that I have figured out on my own anyway, give me some job ideas that I've already thought about before AND tried, and pretty much brag about how many people have found jobs because of them(this is a lie). Pretty much I've done everything myself anyway without their help. I haven't been better nor worse without a career counselor. I can easily do their job if all they do is not help people.

I was highly insulted though that somebody said I was look for "preferential treatment" based on me graduating from there. Well..what the heck did they think? It's not like I got my education for free, no I have to pay back everything I invested in my education and you think I'm asking for much because I want my school to help me a little bit? I got more help from another school, but the problem is that the school is in Columbia and they only got connections in that town. I'm about 60-90 minutes away from all those connections.

So it sounds like they conduct workshops about job searching

Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
So it sounds like they conduct workshops about job searching
They mostly do what any unemployed person does already. I don't need a million job links...chances are I've already been to majority of them.

College is supposed to be a way to network and get connections. In college I already took a class in how to revise business documents and to construct business documents, I don't need another lecture about it from a career counselor.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 AM
FBJ

Quote:
They mostly do what any unemployed person does already. I don't need a million job links...chances are I've already been to majority of them.

College is supposed to be a way to network and get connections. In college I already took a class in how to revise business documents and to construct business documents, I don't need another lecture about it from a career counselor.

Yeah sounds very pointless. Sounds like they a fraudulent career center.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
I thought the career services advisor at colleges set up job fairs and provided job leads? Are you saying that the only thing they do is help revise resumes and cover letters?
This is not always the case. My college and my dads college both put you in touch with hiring managers that can get you jobs. I've heard the same from many of my friends who went to college in the North East. However, many who went to college in other parts of the nation are less successful. Experience can vary from college to college but if you go to a reasonably good college, they should have connections that can basically point you to a job.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah sounds very pointless. Sounds like they a fraudulent career center.
It is pointless. What's the point of call them if I can do everything they are telling me to do on my own? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is not always the case. My college and my dads college both put you in touch with hiring managers that can get you jobs. I've heard the same from many of my friends who went to college in the North East. However, many who went to college in other parts of the nation are less successful. Experience can vary from college to college but if you go to a reasonably good college, they should have connections that can basically point you to a job.
I went to a good school, I feel like filing a complaint as an alumni. It's ridiculous. Students should be getting more help in the career center. My school has connections and I don't feel like they are using them to the fullest extent. It's not even like I'm not open to relocating, but if I relocate, I want to make sure the job is worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment