Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Salaries will go up, as soon as business is incentivized to use much of the $2 trillion hoarded under an anti business regime.

Strictly a supply-demand issue, so we must create a climate for demand.
Eh... I know we can round and round with this one, but let's just say most of our politicians from both sides of the aisle are equally useless as anything except sources of hot air.

Long story short: The job growth in this nation has been laughable for 12 years now, and that covers every mix of political parties controlling the White House and Congress. None of them are worth a hill of beans, and none of them have any solutions or interest in fixing the problem. Since mid-2008, we've heard everything from "hope and change" to "jobs, jobs, jobs" and it's amounted to nothing.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to spend some of those $2 trillion that are being horded to hire people and thus increase demand. That seems a lot easier than waiting for some "different" political leadership to come along, especially considering how both parties have such a dismal job creation record for the past 12 years. I think if business wants to see demand increase, they are going to have to take matters into their own hands and show some leadership by hiring people, who can then, in turn, drive demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Salaries will go up, as soon as business is incentivized to use much of the $2 trillion hoarded under an anti business regime. ... Strictly a supply-demand issue, so we must create a climate for demand.
The supply:demand problem is with PEOPLE... not investment capital.

Salaries will go up as soon as business no longer has 5 people willing to work for $10/hr
for every $20/hr job that should have a nice benefit package on top of that.

Even if they even wanted to create jobs... that $2 trillion won't produce the 30,000,000 jobs needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Long story short: The job growth in this nation has been laughable for 12 years now...
The population growth in this nation for 30 years now...

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Eh... I know we can round and round with this one, but let's just say most of our politicians from both sides of the aisle are equally useless as anything except sources of hot air.

Long story short: The job growth in this nation has been laughable for 12 years now, and that covers every mix of political parties controlling the White House and Congress. None of them are worth a hill of beans, and none of them have any solutions or interest in fixing the problem. Since mid-2008, we've heard everything from "hope and change" to "jobs, jobs, jobs" and it's amounted to nothing.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to spend some of those $2 trillion that are being horded to hire people and thus increase demand. That seems a lot easier than waiting for some "different" political leadership to come along, especially considering how both parties have such a dismal job creation record for the past 12 years. I think if business wants to see demand increase, they are going to have to take matters into their own hands and show some leadership by hiring people, who can then, in turn, drive demand.

Actually from 2003 through mid 2007, we had a very good run.low unemployment. 4.6 percent in Dec, 2006.

I'd love to see tax breaks for corps directly tied to F(ull T(ime) E(mployees or equivalents).

As for the $2 trill, its neither yours, mine, nor anyone elses except the corps. We need to make it prudent for them to spend here.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
[quote=MrRational;25476443Even if they even wanted to create jobs... that $2 trillion won't produce the 30,000,000 jobs needed....[/quote]

We do not need 30 million, just 5 million or so would do wonders. 5% unemployment is healthy, as usually it is simply people transitioning between jobs, often voluntarily.

NO unemployment is as bad as the inverse situation today.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Actually from 2003 through mid 2007, we had a very good run.low unemployment. 4.6 percent in Dec, 2006.

I'd love to see tax breaks for corps directly tied to F(ull T(ime) E(mployees or equivalents).

As for the $2 trill, its neither yours, mine, nor anyone elses except the corps. We need to make it prudent for them to spend here.
Well, 2008 pretty much killed any gains made up until that point, and the policies that led to that disaster have not yet been fixed.

Tax breaks should be tied to full time employment in this nation, agreed.

Oh, I agree that the $2 trillion belongs to the companies. I'm just saying that perhaps they need to show leadership at a time where nobody else is doing so. Somebody needs to step up to the plate and remind the people in this nation how hard work in great industries built America from the ground up - this should get people motivated again to design, build, and create! A nation of paper-pushers, celebrity worshipers, and peddlers of crooked "financial products" will not last long and is certainly a disgrace compared to what America can be based upon even our recent past.

Sitting on a staggering pile of cash while refusing to hire because "unfriendly politicians" won't cooporate all the time shows as little initiative as sitting at home unemployed, refusing to apply to any jobs, because "unfriendly politicians" won't magically fix the nation. While success is never guaranteed, failure is certain if one doesn't try, and I certainly don't see anyone in power - including industry - trying to fix these problems.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Quote:
Invest in yourself-if you do not think you are worth that, why should an employer feel you are?

Now I know you did, but that 24% rate is still low, if we wish to retain a salary premium versus most nations.
There are more effective ways to invest in yourself than college. 4 years of college isn't worth 3 months of training. And when I say training, I mean, you're not 100% productive, but you're still working. Not that you come into the job and you don't even know what a computer is.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I agree but CNN & the Huffington Post somehow has drilled this entitlement mentaity into everyones head that a college degree is an automatic ticket to a high paying entry level job (paying not less than $60,000). If said job can't be obtained it is either because of the economy or racism if the person happens to be a minority (which only means black or hispanic).
You do realize it is the conservatives trying to protect for-profits right? Tad ironic based on your comments.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtn
Salaries will go up, as soon as business is incentivized to use much of the $2 trillion hoarded under an anti business regime. ... Strictly a supply-demand issue, so we must create a climate for demand.
The supply:demand problem is with PEOPLE... not investment capital.

Salaries will go up as soon as business no longer has 5 people willing to work for $10/hr
for every $20/hr job that should have a nice benefit package on top of that.

Even if they even wanted to create the jobs... that $X won't produce the X,000,000 jobs needed.

You fill in the X amount if that makes you happier.
The basic point remains true. It is especially true at levels above the wage rates mentioned.

What remains most true of all though is the disinterest in substantial investment in businesses
that depend on lots of well paid people. That is largely why their predecessors went offshore.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,320 times
Default Looking for a job in Minneapolis area

Good morning all,

I am a 62 (that's right 62!) year old white female. I was laid off in April 2009 from my job as an Admin Assistant. I was a non-exempt employee making just under $49k yearly. I have an AA in Social Science and a Paralegal Certificate from the University of Houston Paralegal Studies Program. I have gone back to school yet again, and will complete my BS in Communications with an ESL certificate in approximately 18 months. It is 100% online from an accredited university in Texas. I seriously have applied for probably 1000 jobs since this nightmare began. I have registered with 5 employment agencies thinking I could get some temp work to keep me going. To my knowledge, not one of them has even checked my references.

Does anyone know how deep seeded the ageism is in the Minneapolis job market? I spent my childhood in Minnesota and have been a frequent visitor over the years. I had planned on returning in late 2010 but the layoff in 2009 has thrown me into just survival mode.

No work here for me. Has anyone heard how it is there for older workers.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
bobtn usually posts in favor of greedy busnesses and the rich. Calling student loans an asset is really off the wall. Student Loans are the modern form of slavery. Just look at this web page to see how they gouge people.

http://wearethe99percent.tumblr.com/image/26147098434

Harley Davidson just got rid of good paying IT jobs to outsource them to H1bs.
Harley-Davidson Cuts IT Staff; Shifts Some to Infosys | Dice Blog Network

There should be a new law saying Student Loans can be discharged once the Principal + 5% has been paid.
Well, if people do NO research when taking student loans or major in things where it will be quite difficult to pay off the loan due to the job market, I am not sure if I feel a lot of sympathy for them.

The guy with the picture who posted his loan leaves out a lot of convenient information.

1. JP Morgan Chase loan-- was it a Stafford Loan? Or was it a private student loan? Private student loans can be the devil-- I shake my head at ANYONE who decides to take one of those. Federally backed loans that are serviced by someone else (I have no idea if JP Morgan Chase is just the servicer of this loan) are LENIENT. The interest rates are fixed. He also doesn't show, what is his interest rate? Payment plan, how many deferments did he take or forebearances? If this is a private loan everyone I know that has one has a VARIABLE interest rate-- so the rates can move quite a bit, etc. Was this a credit based loan-- aka if your credit sucks then your interest rate is higher, etc.

Some other good points about federal loans:

- Multiple pay back amortization schedules - Income based, Income contingent, graduated, standard, longer based, etc
- Protection in case of disability (if you become 100% disabled loan is forgiven)
- Debt under an IBR plan will be wiped clean within a certain time period (25 years for most and I forgot what newer loans under Obama's plan gets wiped out-- it is either 15 or 20 years) of payments.
- 10 years loan balance forgiven if paid under IBR when working for the public service sector (aka universities, non profit, government jobs, etc)
- There are multiple deferments, forebearances based on income situation some with no interest accumulation.

I read recently only 2.25% of student loan borrowers take advantage of the IBR plan. Shame on them for not actually reading the Fed's loan website (it is not hidden), or doing additional research. Shame on people lamenting at how predatory "student loans" are without actually doing any kind of research.

But once again it is the sheer lack of accountability our culture seems to have embraced. "I took out 50k worth of debt for an American Studies degree and was shocked that jobs at historical sites paid so little-- now I want to blame everyone else and not pay back money that I willingly borrowed and perhaps even used for spring break trips when I received my student loan refund check."

I have A LOT of student loan debt much more than the average. My income is six figures-- I am not really worried about paying back the loans and I am grateful that the feds and taxpayers invested in my education. For my education definitely has been an investment and is an asset now. I am more than happy to pay it back even if it means that I will continue to live in a town home that I purchased when I made less than 40k and still maintain frugality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment