Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wal-mart or state?
would rather work at walmart and get my sanity 1 5.00%
would suck it up and deal with it and it would push me towards doing better in school 19 95.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:34 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 366,089 times

Advertisements

I don't even enjoy SHOPPING at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,146,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Well, not to be a troll but I can't tell the difference between Walmart and Big.Gov. Can I take both?
Well, not to be bossy but the difference is that now you make 60% less income at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,663,468 times
the obvious answer is that walmart is the state.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
Do both, hang onto the Walmart job for weekends, nights, work for the state during the day!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
You have no guarantee of a set schedule at Wal Mart, I have even seen them schedule people for split shifts, in the same day. Giving up a State Job, to work at Wal Mart? Really....this is crazy.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM

994 posts, read 1,589,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Well, not to be bossy but the difference is that now you make 60% less income at Wal-Mart.
The Feds pay okay but state governments don't always pay as well. I guess it really depends on what job they actually hire you for but most state jobs aren't necessarily better. I can believe wealthier states paying better but in a lot of the rural states the state governments don't pay significantly more than Wally World.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
The Feds pay okay but state governments don't always pay as well. I guess it really depends on what job they actually hire you for but most state jobs aren't necessarily better. I can believe wealthier states paying better but in a lot of the rural states the state governments don't pay significantly more than Wally World.
The pay for government jobs may not be all that luxurious. But it is livable, and everyone receives annual COL pay increases.

However, what makes government jobs far more appealing than public sector jobs is the fact that your job is secure (short of severe budget cuts or you doing something really stupid, you pretty much have a job for life) and the benefits are second to none.

Auto Industry workers and Government workers probably receive the best health care benefits out of all of the workers in the country.

I know for the state of Michigan (the UAW represents Administrative/Human Resources workers for the state), the health care insurance is 80/20 (it was 90/10). You honestly can't beat that in 2012. For the BEST health care option, you're talking a total of maybe $50 out of your bi-weekly paycheck to go towards health care premiums. The rest is covered by the state.

The jobs pay, on average, between (entry level) $15/hr and $25/hr.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM

247 posts, read 750,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The pay for government jobs may not be all that luxurious. But it is livable, and everyone receives annual COL pay increases.

The jobs pay, on average, between (entry level) $15/hr and $25/hr.
My homestate hasn't given out COL raises in 10 years (rural). The pay is $7ish-22/hour for new employees. That includes graduate degree holders.

The rest of the information you provided is correct though.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
My homestate hasn't given out COL raises in 10 years (rural). The pay is $7ish-22/hour for new employees. That includes graduate degree holders.

The rest of the information you provided is correct though.
FWIW, Indiana was ranked as one of the five states for the lowest paid state workers in the country per a study from the Center for Governmental Research in 2010.

So I'm not sure Indiana is a good measure for the pay of state workers (although I'm also aware states such as Illinois and Michigan are near the top of the spectrum). However, even North Dakota, which was ranked 30th in that study, was still below the national average pay for state workers.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,146,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
FWIW, Indiana was ranked as one of the five states for the lowest paid state workers in the country per a study from the Center for Governmental Research in 2010.

So I'm not sure Indiana is a good measure for the pay of state workers (although I'm also aware states such as Illinois and Michigan are near the top of the spectrum). However, even North Dakota, which was ranked 30th in that study, was still below the national average pay for state workers.
Like you're saying here, 313, it depends but generally they provide more. I thought we were talking about urban areas. In California the choice would definitely be state. Not to mention all that troublesome traffic and crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment