Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 13,740 times

Advertisements

Since I made this thread yesterday, so many people gave me suggestions and advises. I thought many people might make fun of me or make cynical comments but I was wrong! I truly appreciate all of your replies...

Today my boyfriend helped me to practice driving at a parking lot. He said after couple more practices on parking lots and small roads, he can even get me in driving school so his car will be safe and I can learn from a professional. I'm very exited! If I get my driver's license that's one of my big insecurities gone.
Thank you all for pushing me to make this move!

From the advise I got here, seems like good career/work choice for me at this point is either making use of my bartending license and find a bartending job, or going for nursing degree. This really sounds good since my boyfriend is in medschool, so I can always ask him questions lol

First I thought going for LPN (licensed practical nurse) would be great... since it only takes 13 month. But I did more research on internet about job marketing and it seems like most places take RN (registered nurse) over LPN...
There are associate degree for RN, but the one in demand seems to be bachelor's degree or even further education....
On top of that, as I mentioned in my original post, my boyfriend seem to like the idea of me getting "full education" instead of going half-way or less.
He sounds lot supportive of me going for RN bachelor's degree then RN associate or LPN.

I live in pretty big city and there are alot of universities and schools close by, so if I make up my mind I can start pretty soon, I think. I just feel little more hesitation now. Going for 1 year degree and going for bachelors is a big difference, and there is no turning back once I start. (especially with all the debts I would be in from loans and such, unless I get really good scholarship somehow)

I would need to think over this more, I really do wanna get education before I get too old. But If I'm going to be in school for 3-4 years I have to make sure it's something I really want to make a career out of it. And I'm not starting as 18 years old but as 27 years old... that makes it lot more unforgiving to turn back.

Just wanted to put down my thoughts I have so far.
Thank you all for supporting me!

Last edited by Aileen2012; 08-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Adding little more details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
Have you considered a community college to get your AA or AS and then transferring to a big school to finish out the Bachelor's?

Community college is much, much cheaper than university and if you can get your AA out of the way to then go on to the Bachelor's, why not do it as inexpensively as possible?

I've never gone for nursing, (can't stand blood and guts), so those of you who know, does it work the same way? If it's possible to do it this way, this way might be best.

Also, if you are tight for money, a bartending job can bring you some extra cash, you don't have to make it a career. One thing to keep in mind about bartending, you can most definitely burn out from it...you see the same people every single week sometimes and it starts to get a little...weird. I should add, that's how it can affect some people, doesn't affect all people like that.

The good news is, either one, will always be needed. Even in low economic times, people do not stop going to bars or gambling...even if they have no money, they still go to those places. And people are always getting sick or injuring themselves so we always need nurses. Both can be difficult to get in to, but once you're in, you're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment