Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
but if they called me in for an interview, i assume it would mean they liked something about me right? otherwise they would not have wasted their time with me?
Yes, and they liked something about every other person called in for an interview. They can only hire one, so to get an interview is a step, the goal is to show oneself as the BEST candidate, and get an offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 AM

491 posts, read 2,289,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
but if they called me in for an interview, i assume it would mean they liked something about me right? otherwise they would not have wasted their time with me?
It means nothing. It has nothing to do with liking you. How can they like someone from an application? This isn't Facebook.

They are doing their job by interviewing all potentially viable candidates.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
i don't think anything is specifcally "wrong" with having an unemployment gap- it will just be that much harder to find work, and unfornatley: " I have been looking for work since X but one is hiring" does not fly, as true and as viable as that statement maybe, and dear god I know even the Shop rite the, blockbuster, the stop and shop are not guarnteed.

If the gap is till ongoing, the minimum wage, the "dream job", look into volunteering and free lancing. I don't know how much weight volunteering really carries on the resume but it is better than nothing

Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
i don't think anything is specifcally "wrong" with having an unemployment gap- it will just be that much harder to find work, and unfornatley: " I have been looking for work since X but one is hiring" does not fly, as true and as viable as that statement maybe, and dear god I know even the Shop rite the, blockbuster, the stop and shop are not guarnteed.

If the gap is till ongoing, the minimum wage, the "dream job", look into volunteering and free lancing. I don't know how much weight volunteering really carries on the resume but it is better than nothing

Volunteering is not a option for a unemployed person. If you were already volunteering before you lost your job then that's something you can put on your resume. But you don't go out looking for a volunteer job as a unemployed person. You seek part-time, temp, or full-time work.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Volunteering is not a option for a unemployed person. If you were already volunteering before you lost your job then that's something you can put on your resume. But you don't go out looking for a volunteer job as a unemployed person. You seek part-time, temp, or full-time work.
Of course. I don't see why people are still debating this issue. It's a no brainer.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
It means nothing. It has nothing to do with liking you. How can they like someone from an application? This isn't Facebook.

They are doing their job by interviewing all potentially viable candidates.
just asking because for a very long time in my life, whenever i applied for a job, not only would i not get hired, i would not get an interview in the first place, but the fact i've had 11 job interviews in the past 8 months, applying to jobs consistently but no job offers, i must be doing something wrong, and the fact i'm at least getting interviews, i must be doing something right, different that is causing me to get interviews and i'm not aware of it

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
America is the country of workaholics. But we also live less, suffer higher rates of depression and illness.
This is very true.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Of course. I don't see why people are still debating this issue. It's a no brainer.
It's still being debated because many people obviously don't consider it a "no brainer".

Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Just because you volunteer does not mean you stop looking for paid work by any means- yes "looking for work is a full time job" but unless the money is so tight, sitiuation is so terrible, surley you can afford a couple of hours 2-3 times a week to volunteer.

To put another way if I am looking at 2 resumes, lets say both candidates are equal and both have unemployment gaps but Person A did some volunteering whilst still looking for work, during that unemployment gap vs Person B who did nothing but look for work- I would give person A the phone call

Bottom line is looking for work is top priorty however if you can afford it, if you can make time in your schedule volunteer as well whilst STILL looking for work.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Just because you volunteer does not mean you stop looking for paid work by any means- yes "looking for work is a full time job" but unless the money is so tight, sitiuation is so terrible, surley you can afford a couple of hours 2-3 times a week to volunteer.

To put another way if I am looking at 2 resumes, lets say both candidates are equal and both have unemployment gaps but Person A did some volunteering whilst still looking for work, during that unemployment gap vs Person B who did nothing but look for work- I would give person A the phone call

Bottom line is looking for work is top priorty however if you can afford it, if you can make time in your schedule volunteer as well whilst STILL looking for work.
He's been told this a million times over (including in a thread on the subject he started himself) but no point arguing with him as he doesn't listen, just repeats his preconceived notions over and over again. I think that even if the heavens opened up and a bloody great big hand appeared with fingers pointing at him while a thundering voice boomed out, "Solomon you are WRONG!", he'd still argue the point regardless of the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment