Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,649,536 times

Advertisements

I currently work full time as a software developer in the finance industry. I never travel at all for my current job and very rarely did for my previous job. The few times I did travel I had a lot of fun. It just made the week a lot different and interesting than the usual office stuff. I've been working these office jobs for a little over 5 years now and recently been wondering what it would be like to be one of those people who travels a lot for their work. I know a lot of people with families always talk about how they wish they didn't have a job like that. Well, in my case I'm single and don't plan on getting married any time soon. I like the idea of every week being different because of traveling around. I don't see many jobs that require traveling in my field when I look around. Some do but it sounds like not very often at all if ever. How do you find jobs like that? Are there certain industries I should look into? Certain sites/places to get involved in? Anyone want to share their experiences of having a job like this and why they loved it/got so tired of it too? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 52,034 times
Im interested as well. Hopefully somebody will respond.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,986,338 times
Depending on how much work is involved, it just becomes another office in another city/country. I know it sounds great, but not if you spend all that time working.

Have you tried looking at IT auditing?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,608,860 times
Traveling for work takes many forms.

1 - You have those that traveling IS the work. These are people who travel as part of their working day, airlines, truck drivers, coah drivers, ship workers, etc.

2 - You have those who travel to get to work locations, but the travel is just transportation. An employee of a company who goes from one place to another for their job where the main focus is the job and traveling is just how they get there within little tought in it. Your basic go to X city and work on this and come back 2 days later.

3 - And you have those who travel to get to work locations where the traveling is part of the work experinece. Like 2, the travel is transportation to the job but because of where they go or how they travel, the traveling is part of the excitmeent of the work such as traveling to foreign countries, excotic locatiosn, otr for extended times so you can take in the local sights.

So which "traveling" are you looking for?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,988,400 times
My cousin works for a MAJOR insurance company as (can't remember title) the guy who travels to storm areas to adjust for vehicle or home damages. So, say the hurricane hit LA or a tornado in KS or you name it, he will travel to that area and start working claims. He might be there a week or a month...he'll do this over and over...but then he'll also have months off at a time. I KNOW he makes awesome money now...the starting salary (years ago) was something like $35,000. You have to have a college degree but they train the heck out of you!!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,781,826 times
I work for a software company that manages IT Finance and as a senior consultant, I do some traveling to client sites for implementations (1 week every month). It's a blast And implementations are SORT of software development/configuration... I only mention it because your background might suit? PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my company's website.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,825,468 times
Look into technical pre-sales in the I/T industry. They travel quite a bit.

Keep in mind that with business travel you don't get much time to play tourist and it gets to be a grind. I say this from a hotel room in a large city famous for tourism where I won't have time to do anything except meetings and business dinners. Tomorrow I start with a 7:30 breakfast meeting, then I go to three more meetings. I have an hour or so later in the afternoon (I hope) to relax and change before taking a customer to dinner. The next morning I've got an 8:30 breakfast meeting and then a two hour drive to another meeting. I finish that and drive another two hours (if I don't hit traffic), have dinner and get to sleep so I can be at my 8:00 am meeting on Friday. I finish that and drive three hours to another meeting, and then two hours to the airport for a 6:00pm flight. I'll get home after midnight.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,907,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I currently work full time as a software developer in the finance industry. I never travel at all for my current job and very rarely did for my previous job. The few times I did travel I had a lot of fun. It just made the week a lot different and interesting than the usual office stuff. I've been working these office jobs for a little over 5 years now and recently been wondering what it would be like to be one of those people who travels a lot for their work. I know a lot of people with families always talk about how they wish they didn't have a job like that. Well, in my case I'm single and don't plan on getting married any time soon. I like the idea of every week being different because of traveling around. I don't see many jobs that require traveling in my field when I look around. Some do but it sounds like not very often at all if ever. How do you find jobs like that? Are there certain industries I should look into? Certain sites/places to get involved in? Anyone want to share their experiences of having a job like this and why they loved it/got so tired of it too? Thanks!
i know a few people that teach ESL. one lady spent $1600 to take the course and then they pay for her to fly to a country to teach. she's lived in spain, ireland, peru and a few other places i've forgotten. you can stay a long time or not, if you'd rather keep moving. her next choices are italy, poland, spain (again) and a bunch of others. my niece seems to be teaching in south korea. another guy i know of is in taiwan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment