Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

You need to read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post21445518

And this:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ew-but-no.html

And one of my passion is to coach people on job hunting, interview and how to excel in the corporate world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I'm not an expert in the finance world, but I am doubtful about the problem being that you went to a state school. First, they knew that before they interviewed you, and could have eliminated you before the interview. But they chose to interview you, which suggests that the problem may not be on paper.

Just by any chance, did you disparage your state university during the interviews in any way? Maybe imply that you got "screwed out of" a decent college for personal reasons, or that you are better than some frat partying state student? I ask because much of your post is irrelevant to any job and - not trying to offend here, just being honest - sounds like a lot of excuses. If I were an employer I'd try to avoid hiring someone who always seems victimized and feels "screwed," and cites "personal problems." Your complaints about your school and what you think employers are thinking about you just seems way off to me - like in your head, not theirs. I think the problem might be your interviews, not your papers. Honestly, I don't think most employers care that much where you went to school.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:07 PM

107 posts, read 381,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let's say I was a hiring manager looking for an accountant. Why would I hire you?
I tore accounting coursework that people fail repeatedly while I took 16 and 17hour credit hours semesters and concentrated on other courses. Always had an A in accounting. Know Excel/Word/Access/Powerpoint/Quickbooks like a madman. There are other things (like presentations to an audience of 150+), I am not going to go into.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'm not an expert in the finance world, but I am doubtful about the problem being that you went to a state school. First, they knew that before they interviewed you, and could have eliminated you before the interview. But they chose to interview you, which suggests that the problem may not be on paper.

Just by any chance, did you disparage your state university during the interviews in any way? Maybe imply that you got "screwed out of" a decent college for personal reasons, or that you are better than some frat partying state student? I ask because much of your post is irrelevant to any job and - not trying to offend here, just being honest - sounds like a lot of excuses. If I were an employer I'd try to avoid hiring someone who always seems victimized and feels "screwed," and cites "personal problems." Your complaints about your school and what you think employers are thinking about you just seems way off to me - like in your head, not theirs. I think the problem might be your interviews, not your papers. Honestly, I don't think most employers care that much where you went to school.
The problem with the internet is that people always assume the worst about you. No, I am not some insane person who puts their lifestory out on every interview. I don't trash the university I graduated from during interviews since it would simply undermine my own credentials. To talk about personal things on an interview is to have "issues" which is fatal.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You need to read this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post21445518

And this:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ew-but-no.html

And one of my passion is to coach people on job hunting, interview and how to excel in the corporate world.
I read your 2nd thread and I disagree completely. First and foremost, different industries and jobs dictate different requirements. It is silly to expect an extrovert for a job/industry that is legendary for introverts.
No 2 people are ever "equally qualified". Somebody is going to have more potential for growth, more productive, more punctual, more driven, etc. If you invite several people for an interview and hire the one you "like" best personally you are shooting yourself in the foot. You should seek a tie breaker based on legitimate qualities instead of BS like "I like this one better."

Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
The problem with the internet is that people always assume the worst about you. No, I am not some insane person who puts their lifestory out on every interview. I don't trash the university I graduated from during interviews since it would simply undermine my own credentials. To talk about personal things on an interview is to have "issues" which is fatal.
Have you tried landing a job with one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:22 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
I read your 2nd thread and I disagree completely. First and foremost, different industries and jobs dictate different requirements. It is silly to expect an extrovert for a job/industry that is legendary for introverts.
No 2 people are ever "equally qualified". Somebody is going to have more potential for growth, more productive, more punctual, more driven, etc. If you invite several people for an interview and hire the one you "like" best personally you are shooting yourself in the foot. You should seek a tie breaker based on legitimate qualities instead of BS like "I like this one better."

Actually, this is not correct. You SHOULD base the tiebreaker on this as the "I like him" feeling is often the one telling you that this person will fit into the culture. And I know you are going to say that culture doesn't matter, or some craziness, but the truth is, it DOES matter as happy people are productive people. So, if I have 2 candidates I like equally, the one who has more potential for growth, is more productive, is more punctual and more driven WILL be the person who is also comfortable in the company culture.

So, being likable IS important.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Have you tried landing a job with one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms?
Not really looked into it. I spent a lot of time using my school career site in addition to careerbuilder/craigslist as well as applying to all kinds of leadership programs at banks/insurance companies/etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to help. The tone of all your posts is indignant and bit petulant. That says something about your attitude, and it's possible that attitude is leaking out in interviews. You seem angry that you are so great but these stupid companies don't see that and have the nerve to want you to prove it in an interview. It's an understandable sentiment, just not one that will get you a job. To interview well you have buy into the BS a little bit and answer the questions in a way that shows your skills, using specific examples - not act like you're so qualified that you barely even have to go into detail about it. I know you'll say you don't do that, but I think you need to do some mock interviews and see what other people think. What you are doing now isn't working, that's clear - now own up to it and change it. It's the only way to move forward.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
An interview is a little like a first date. You don't fess up to living with 7 cats on the first date, you don't expect to get by on just "skills" on an interview. That's just how it is. Some things have a culture and a way of doing them. In this country we drive on the right hand side. You may want to drive on the left and think it is dumb to drive on the right, but as you will get flattened if you do not do what is expected, you either drive on the right or walk. Same is true for an interview. You may not like it, you may think it is dumb, and you may want to do things differently, but you still need to play by the rules of the people making the decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment