Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,709,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
Not really looked into it. I spent a lot of time using my school career site in addition to careerbuilder/craigslist as well as applying to all kinds of leadership programs at banks/insurance companies/etc.
It's definitely an option if you want to look into it further. They're always hiring new graduates with high GPAs (a 3.3 overall and a 3.9 with just your Finance classes probably would land you an interview) and little/no experience. The only thing is the competition is fierce.

You can try contacting the Managing Partner of the local office you may be interested in working at (the Big 4 Accounting Firms have offices in every major city), or you can just submit your resume through their website.

Careers in Accounting: Beyond the Big 4 and Other Biggest CPA Firms | The Student CPA

The Big 4 Accounting Firms – How to get that perfect job with one of the big ones - CollegeRecruiter.com

The Experienced Accountant's Guide to the Big Four Interview | Monster

Big Four Accounting Salaries - College Confidential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM

107 posts, read 381,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's definitely an option if you want to look into it further. They're always hiring new graduates with high GPAs and little/no experience. The only thing is the competition is fierce.

You can try contacting the Managing Partner of the local office you may be interested in working at (the Big 4 Accounting Firms have offices in every major city)., or you can just submit your resume through their website.

Careers in Accounting: Beyond the Big 4 and Other Biggest CPA Firms | The Student CPA

The Big 4 Accounting Firms – How to get that perfect job with one of the big ones - CollegeRecruiter.com

The Experienced Accountant's Guide to the Big Four Interview | Monster

Big Four Accounting Salaries - College Confidential
That is actually very helpful. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM

29,691 posts, read 24,753,174 times
What are you talking about??? Screwed out of top universities?? You didn't make the cut. Welcome to life. Make all the excuses you want, but excuses won't get you what you seek out of life. Time to live in the here and now. I got accepted to top universities when I graduated HS, but couldn't afford it. Tough luck, but you won't hear me complaining. Time to pick yourself up by your boot straps and find your way in life. Don't know what experience you have, but it's time to get some. Focus on getting a job. Any job. Something to show you can at least show up on time and put in your hours.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,499,977 times
Quote:
I read your 2nd thread and I disagree completely. First and foremost, different industries and jobs dictate different requirements. It is silly to expect an extrovert for a job/industry that is legendary for introverts.
No 2 people are ever "equally qualified". Somebody is going to have more potential for growth, more productive, more punctual, more driven, etc. If you invite several people for an interview and hire the one you "like" best personally you are shooting yourself in the foot. You should seek a tie breaker based on legitimate qualities instead of BS like "I like this one better."
Read the first one, please.

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't change how the reality functions.

If you don't face the real issue, you will continue down the same path.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:56 PM

If this helps you, think this way. If I don't like, why should I even hire you?

No matter how much we want to deny it, good looking people get job and promotion more easily. Suck-ups and a**kissers don't get laid off first. That's just reality.

You may think you are the smartest person on planet but if you can't make people like you, it really doesn't matter.

Again, your technical skills only count as 1/3 of your overall skill set. The sooner you realize it, the better for you and your career.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Read the first one, please.

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't change how the reality functions.

If you don't face the real issue, you will continue down the same path.
Not even remotely true. Different industries do it differently. Some industries dont even care that you dont wear a suit and a tie (for a man obviously) to an interview. They won't ask you "what is your greatest weakness" but will cut to the chase and try to assess your intelligence because that is what they care about (IT and Investment banking do that a lot)

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,372,499 times
Sorry, but you are coming on here, complaining that you can't get a job no matter what you are doing, and then arguing with the information you are receiving. If we are all wrong, then what are you doing here...shouldn't you be out getting a job????

Old 08-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Sorry, but you are coming on here, complaining that you can't get a job no matter what you are doing, and then arguing with the information you are receiving. If we are all wrong, then what are you doing here...shouldn't you be out getting a job????
I came here to "fish" for ideas I have not thought about. Some "alleged recruiters'" "expertise" may be limited to their industry. I am aware of interviews in many cases being completely arbitrary that is why I have been searching for a pathway to get onto more objective ground.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Not even remotely true. Different industries do it differently. Some industries dont even care that you dont wear a suit and a tie (for a man obviously) to an interview. They won't ask you "what is your greatest weakness" but will cut to the chase and try to assess your intelligence because that is what they care about (IT and Investment banking do that a lot)
Hmmm, I have been in the IT Management for over 15 years. Not once did I do that. I have worked with and served under many IT Managers, Directors and CIOs, nobody does that. I have coached many people to attend IT interviews, and nobody does that.

I personally interviewed hundreds of people and not once a decision is made purely based on the candidate's technical skill. Zero times! Please keep in mind, in a company, the hiring manager (aka me) doesn't make the final decision. Always HR (1/3), hiring manager (1/3) and hiring manager's supervisor (1/3) make the decision together.

Your technical skills account for 1/3 of your overall skills. That's the correct assessment.

Case to the point, one girl I coached went for an interview. They threw her a lot of technical questions which were out side of her area. She failed almost every question but she was still offered a job and a big fat 6-figure salary which at the time more than I was making. :-)

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 08-11-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,908,513 times
Quote:
I tore accounting coursework that people fail repeatedly while I took 16 and 17hour credit hours semesters and concentrated on other courses. Always had an A in accounting. Know Excel/Word/Access/Powerpoint/Quickbooks like a madman. There are other things (like presentations to an audience of 150+), I am not going to go into.
You and everyone else know the MS Office suite and Quickbooks. That doesn't make you special.

Again you are putting down others which is offensive. If you can't find good things to say about yourself without trying to make others look bad in the same sentence, then you aren't going to be successful in life.

You still haven't given me a compelling reason to hire you. It's not just about your skills, it's also about fitting in with a team, which my guess is that you won't. You might be better off getting your CPA and hanging our your shingle instead of trying to work for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment