Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM

629 posts, read 1,231,649 times

Advertisements

Been working with a company for about 2 years and have been pretty successful in terms of performing my duties. My only issues seem to be the constant surveillance and complaints if I send my wife a text or pick up the phone and call her for 70 seconds. With long working days and as long as it doesn't interfere with my progress I never see why it's an issue. It's the other half of my soul not some chatter with friends about a game. Off topic sorry well I receive two right ups which I believe were deserved since one was because I trusted a coworker to finish a task we both shared and since he didn't we were both held responsible. The other was because my wife came to visit me and since I was distracted I missed a step in my task (I was written up for missing the step not for my wife visiting, although I was told she shouldn't visit anymore.) Since I was on thin ice I decided to play nice from now on. Not one text, not one phone call, I completed everything myself and I smiled for everyone. Recently I received what was to be my last write up before termination. The reason I was told was because someone forgot an important step during a closing shift and since I was a member of that shift I receive a write up also. Since I was already 2 in the hole this one become a final. I told them that before I left I asked of the other person completed the task and he said yes. I said what should I have done, redo all of his tasks to make sure he didn't miss a step? Why should I be punished for trusting my co-workers? I said I could not justify agreeing to such a punishment when the fault was not my own. I refused to sign the form and asked what would happen. They told me something about contacting fair employment. I asked if I would have a say to fair employment and she said she would be submitting her portion only. I assume this means I have to make my own calls but I don't see what I can argue. Any opinions I guess? What can they do to me since I didn't sign? Can I be fired for not agreeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,457,207 times
That's a pretty tight ship!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That's a pretty tight ship!
Tell me about it. I've never received a complaint about my job performance. In fact I'm constantly praised on it by the same people who write me up! I don't know what their priorities are but firing a good performer for nit pickie behavior doesn't seem to bright. I'd understand if I spent half my time goofing off with total disregard for my duties. But I am not. I take pride in my work no matter what it is.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:08 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
If you aren't looking for a new job now... start.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:20 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
What is "fair employment"?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,468,063 times
A unsigned written notice does not mean anything. They will document the time they spoke to you and write on the form you refused to sign. I would check into policies to see if the whole shift is responsible for the assigned task that was missed. If this is a communal task that was put on one person, then shame on the rest of the group for not ensuring it was done. If this is a task assigned to that person only, then perhaps you have an argument.

Also, what are these "Tasks" you keep messing up?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
A unsigned written notice does not mean anything. They will document the time they spoke to you and write on the form you refused to sign. I would check into policies to see if the whole shift is responsible for the assigned task that was missed. If this is a communal task that was put on one person, then shame on the rest of the group for not ensuring it was done. If this is a task assigned to that person only, then perhaps you have an argument.

Also, what are these "Tasks" you keep messing up?
I'm trying to stay vague since I'm kinda on thin ice as it is. I was told by my supervisor that one person does one task and the other does the other task. My manager however says there's no such policy written down so we're both responsible.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,356,588 times
Start job hunting.

Not to add to an already worrisome situation, but it is VERY possible they will fire you for insubordination for failing to sign the write up. The write up instructed you to sign (most likely) that you were given the warning NOT that you agreed. When a company REALLY wants to terminate someone, they can (and I have seen it done in retail and I am guessing this is retail, food service, etc) use the failure to sign the write up when directed by a manager as insubordination and then cite that you refused to follow a direct task from a supervisor.

If this does not happen, there is nothing you can do about the write up and being terminated for being written up. You MAY be able to go to HR and circumvent it...but honestly, I don;t see this working as the other 2 write ups are an issue. You were told not to make the personal calls and texts and you did it anyway...they can state this was the 3rd insubordinate act.

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but I do not see you getting out of this with your job.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,457,207 times
In addition to job hunting, I would suggest you to speak to your supervisor on this. It doesn't seem to be fair; however, I would ask "how can I improve myself so that I won't get written up again?" Also when you made the mistake, did everybody else get written up?

If what your supervisor tells you is different from what the manager says, I would suggest you to ask your supervisor to clarify.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Start job hunting.

Not to add to an already worrisome situation, but it is VERY possible they will fire you for insubordination for failing to sign the write up. The write up instructed you to sign (most likely) that you were given the warning NOT that you agreed. When a company REALLY wants to terminate someone, they can (and I have seen it done in retail and I am guessing this is retail, food service, etc) use the failure to sign the write up when directed by a manager as insubordination and then cite that you refused to follow a direct task from a supervisor.

If this does not happen, there is nothing you can do about the write up and being terminated for being written up. You MAY be able to go to HR and circumvent it...but honestly, I don;t see this working as the other 2 write ups are an issue. You were told not to make the personal calls and texts and you did it anyway...they can state this was the 3rd insubordinate act.

Sorry to be doom and gloom, but I do not see you getting out of this with your job.
Already looking. My hr rep here is useless. Shows little interest in developing my career and more interest in covering for the company. The load of bs I get whenever I talk to hr is hilarious. I ask for growth opportunities, they say I'm needed here and they prefer to fill positions with outside applicants. I ask for a development plan, they say do better. Genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment