Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

A lot of people think the top executives are compensated too much. What do you think?

Do you really think, executives like Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs shouldn't be paid in 8+figures? When Steve Jobs came back to Apple, Apple was at the brink of bankruptcy. People were counting the days of it going out of business. He was one of the key factors that turned the company around. If an executive can bring in billions of profits for the company, who cares he or she is paid in 8 figures? I'd say make it 9 please.

When they couldn't bring in the profit, they would lose their job - just like us when we don't perform. I really don't see the problem.

Let's say you are paid at $8/hour while your company's top exec is paid in 8 figures. What rights do you have to complain? If you aren't a shareholder, how is that even your business? You agree to do the work for $8/hour. They didn't force you. If you don't like the pay, either ask for more or walk.

Do you really think you can do their job? Do their work not create more value (profit) for the company? If somehow you are promoted to the CEO's level where you can make 8 figures, how long would you think can last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot of people think the top executives are compensated too much. What do you think?

Do you really think, executives like Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs shouldn't be paid in 8+figures? When Steve Jobs came back to Apple, Apple was at the brink of bankruptcy. People were counting the days of it going out of business. He was one of the key factors that turned the company around. If an executive can bring in billions of profits for the company, who cares he or she is paid in 8 figures? I'd say make it 9 please.

When they couldn't bring in the profit, they would lose their job - just like us when we don't perform. I really don't see the problem.

Let's say you are paid at $8/hour while your company's top exec is paid in 8 figures. What rights do you have to complain? If you aren't a shareholder, how is that even your business? You agree to do the work for $8/hour. They didn't force you. If you don't like the pay, either ask for more or walk.

Do you really think you can do their job? Do their work not create more value (profit) for the company? If somehow you are promoted to the CEO's level where you can make 8 figures, how long would you think can last?
There are also those CEOs who are making 8 figures and the company they work for is not in good financial shape. Also, most CEOs only look at short term profit. Knowing most of them aren't going to be around in 5 years, they make decisions that cost the company lots of money over the long run, but looks very good for the next quarter.

In short I do not think they should be paid anything close to what they are making.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:52 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
In short I do not think they should be paid anything close to what they are making.
But who would make the decision?

Best is to let the market determine what they should be paid. It isn't always the best, not always fair and not always right but it always beats the alternative of allowing some failed group of government parasitic bureaucrats to determine what people should earn.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I don't see any issues with paying them in variable compensation. The Steve Jobs and Warren Buffetts of the world are worth their weight in gold; they are obviously anomalies.

The executives are accountable to the stock holders. If the stock holders feel that the executive is not worth what they are being paid, they will likely be forced out sooner or later. I think that sometimes employees and stock holders get screwed when these executives manage to get sweet, buttery severance packages while the ship they were supposed to be steering sinks.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
There are also those CEOs who are making 8 figures and the company they work for is not in good financial shape. Also, most CEOs only look at short term profit. Knowing most of them aren't going to be around in 5 years, they make decisions that cost the company lots of money over the long run, but looks very good for the next quarter.

If you aren't a shareholder, can't see why that is your concern. Also, if you don't work for the company, how's that your concern?

We all have the same concern, whether you are cashier or a CEO. It's just a job.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

(Data source: EPI)

Yes, I would say it is absolutely ridiculous how much CEOs are paid today. The above graph demonstrates it, and there are vast regional differences as well: CEOs in Europe or Japan do not make nearly as much in proportion to average worker pay.

Obviously, CEOs should not make as much as cashiers, as CEOs have much more responsibility and far fewer are qualified to be CEOs than cashiers; but a 180x differential between the average production worker and CEO is unacceptable as well.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,157 times
Dumb thread that's just more rhetorical right-wing nonsense attempting to promote the so-called free market from a discussion the topic creator and I were going back and forth about.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
I think if the Executive is being innovate and growing the company or division they are over, then they are woth 7 figures, if it is a large company. Your question is too broad, an exec that works for a Billion $ company will make 7 figures, while an exec working for a 1x Million $ company will make 5-6 figures.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Depends what their actual contribution and motive is as it relates to the company. Too many eye the next quarter, with no consideration for the long term viability of the company.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Investors should assess what the CEO is worth to the company and pay them based on that. I don't see why this is anyone else's business other than the owners and the CEO. If they're paying their CEO 8 figures, that's the risk they take. Whether they should get that 8 figures or not is up to the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment