Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
It's absolutely absurd that some "classes" are protected and others are not. If it's illegal to discriminate against people over 40, then it should be illegal to do the same to people under 40 as well. It's the young people in this

country that have been hurt the most by the recession. Then you have older people justifying it because they can just move back in with their families all the while lamenting that young people don't have any initiative.
Exactly. It's just as bad as losing something when you can never get it in the first place. I feel like that's where a lot of us are at now, we are trying to have all the things our parents and grandparents had, but I feel like that goal is gone.

Depending on where you live, it's the younger people have the worst time in this economy. Where I live it's the young that suffer, not the old. Most people here that I know are retired anyway and don't have to worry about half of the things younger people have to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
It's absolutely absurd that some "classes" are protected and others are not. If it's illegal to discriminate against people over 40, then it should be illegal to do the same to people under 40 as well. It's the young people in this country that have been hurt the most by the recession. Then you have older people justifying it because they can just move back in with their families all the while lamenting that young people don't have any initiative.
The problem is many of these young people lack the skills to begin careers, to no fault of their own. I place a great deal of blame on the K-12 system, the government and the parents who gave them everything they wanted, without making them work for it. No one can argue that the young people in this country have been placed in a very bad position, and now they have to adapt, without the proper skills and know how to do so. Gonna be a rough transition I'm afraid. What ever happened to vocational studies in high school? What happened to the time when we gave high school grads the proper background and experience to actually begin careers? Why are we expecting all of them to accumulate debt and loose 4 working years with the "hope" of landing something entry level?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
It's absolutely absurd that some "classes" are protected and others are not. If it's illegal to discriminate against people over 40, then it should be illegal to do the same to people under 40 as well. It's the young people in this country that have been hurt the most by the recession. Then you have older people justifying it because they can just move back in with their families all the while lamenting that young people don't have any initiative.
I agree. The age discrimination law never made any sense to me, since, if you can legally discriminate against someone under 40, it means that you are allowed to discriminate based on age. I think that they need to either ammend the law to not allow age discrimination against anyone, or just drop the law and allow age discrimination. The current law makes no sense at all.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
My grandson who is 20 just finished going to a welding school. He recently applied at a place for a welding job and they told him that you had to be 25 before they would hire you.

I know there is age discrimination against older folks but what about youngins?

and if you over 35 (or younger) you probably won't get hired because you will be deemed "overqualified".

But isn't it interesting that the media is virtually silent about age discrimination but writes these bleeding heart stories about people in their 20's as if they are the only ones who can be trained for these types of positions that are supposedly in demand (welding, electrician). I am 37 in excellent physical shape and was told (implicitly and in a subtle way) that I would have a tough time due to my age getting into such a career by many well known (not the for profit trade) schools here in the Boston MA area.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The problem is many of these young people lack the skills to begin careers, to no fault of their own. I place a great deal of blame on the K-12 system, the government and the parents who gave them everything they wanted, without making them work for it. No one can argue that the young people in this country have been placed in a very bad position, and now they have to adapt, without the proper skills and know how to do so. Gonna be a rough transition I'm afraid. What ever happened to vocational studies in high school? What happened to the time when we gave high school grads the proper background and experience to actually begin careers? Why are we expecting all of them to accumulate debt and loose 4 working years with the "hope" of landing something entry level?
Of course but it is never their fault as you would know if you read the countless bleeding heart sob stories put out by CNN, Huffington Post & USA Today.
They have been placed in a very bad position?? In the real world I don't see that at least in the Boston area & NYC metro area. It is people over 40 and especially over 50 who are in a much worse position and most of them have paid into the system and probably more than their share of taxes.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Exactly. It's just as bad as losing something when you can never get it in the first place. I feel like that's where a lot of us are at now, we are trying to have all the things our parents and grandparents had, but I feel like that goal is gone.

Depending on where you live, it's the younger people have the worst time in this economy. Where I live it's the young that suffer, not the old. Most people here that I know are retired anyway and don't have to worry about half of the things younger people have to worry about.
Again, where in the country is this happening?? certainly not in the northeast at least in the Boston & NYC metro region they can't build luxury rental apartments fast enough and most who rent these units are people just out of college

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Again, where in the country is this happening?? certainly not in the northeast at least in the Boston & NYC metro region they can't build luxury rental apartments fast enough and most who rent these units are people just out of college
It sounds like you're letting your personal experiences and viewpoint hold more weight than national statistics. You know...the ones revealing 2/3 of recent graduates being unemployed/underemployed...

Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I agree with this. I completed 2 unpaid internships related to my field while in college, spent a year post-graduation working a job abroad in an unrelated but which allowed me to save up money, and moved to the job-rich DC area before getting a solid entry-level job in my field. What in the world are people doing that haven't done or can't do these things? Unfortunately, college is put on a pedestal as the path to success, and it's been severely commoditized. While I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ones from plush backgrounds that didn't do anything in school to differentiate themselves, and have their parents/underwriters as safety nets, I do feel horrible for the people who grew up in poverty whose parents fought for them to go to school thinking it's a ticket out. Hopefully these people have the drive to do something and major in something useful, otherwise it'll be a long ride back to the trailer park. This is especially true with the for-profit education industry.

I don't think legislation is the answer here, I was just commenting that it seems quite unfair and against the spirit of the law to protect some people more than others.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Same thing happened to me, thankfully these jobs don't require you to go to college. I was going to work at a hotel and then learned you had to be 21. I was only 18 then and I was like, 'Well, now I'm free to do everything.'" Plus, when you buy cigs or drinks they still check your ID if you look under 40. Always another limit.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
I can guarantee you either they have rich parents and if they do not have rich parents, then it's a VERY small population that can do something like that.

It's happening everywhere. Don't let your personal experiences cloud your judgement on reality here. The economy hit us younger people HARD. It's almost impossible to make a decent living nowadays, especially with huge student loan debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment