Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't buy things on credit cards that you don't have the cash in the bank to cover at the end of the month and it won't be a problem.
Yep. I honestly don't have credit cards because I know I lack the discipline not to spend. Unfortunately for my friend she used her credit cards while in college and is now paying for it after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Who says I want to buy a house? I have no desire to buy a house. I don't like being stuck in one place for too long.
Well nobody said. But you're aberrant if you don't.

Gourd head and shut that door. I tried to tell you.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
That's changing with the credit lines still tight and the economy still contracting.

Before the post-WWII era until now, everyone owning a home wasn't normal. Everyone was crammed into inner-city apartment buildings. Only the wealthy folks owned homes. Once the US experienced what seemed to be a never-ending economic expansion, thanks to isolationist/protectionist policies of the 1950s-1970s combined with the easy credit available, it then became normal for everyone to grow up and eventually own a home.

We're regressing back to the pre-WWII type of lifestyle.

Unless people are going to pay for their home outright and plan to live in it forever, it's not a safe investment anymore.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
The credit cards were used when she was in college. She is still paying them off two years later, because of the balance on them. She hasn't used either card since college, and was in the midst of trying to pay them off when she became unemployed. In terms of this effecting her credit. Yep. I feel really bad for her. On the other hand, I still think her situation is better than bankruptcy--I mean if she filed bankruptcy that would make it difficult her to go to college(she is planning to go back next year), she wouldn't be able to get a home, or a whole lot of other items, forget getting an apartment. Even though she might have bad credit, it still looks a little better IMO than bankruptcy.
Which is why I said it should be used a last resort. Did you miss that part?

About when she got her cards or how much is left, as painful as it is to hear, as annoying as it is to hear, she was living beyond her means. Plain and simple. That she is still paying them off two years later clearly illustrates she was living beyond her means.

Now she learns the lesson the hard way.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post

Gourd head and shut that door. I tried to tell you.
Dude, I'm not in my 20s. I have no interest in BUYING a house. If I had wanted to do that, I would have done that 10-20 years ago.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM

97 posts, read 265,705 times
Purchasing a home is overrated..

Old 08-17-2012, 06:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Which is why I said it should be used a last resort. Did you miss that part?

About when she got her cards or how much is left, as painful as it is to hear, as annoying as it is to hear, she was living beyond her means. Plain and simple. That she is still paying them off two years later clearly illustrates she was living beyond her means.

Now she learns the lesson the hard way.
I agree with you.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
Purchasing a home is overrated..
I disagree. I love owning my home and being able to do what I want to it. We looked for several years for the right property and custom built our home to be exactly what we wanted to live in forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment