Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:13 PM

531 posts, read 2,892,251 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear from others if anyone has ever quit a job with no other job leads. Also curious to hear from those who are considering it. I have a white collar job, make decent money, and just hate it. I've been here 14 years and I'm tired of doing the same thing. Also, the expectations and pressure have increased dramatically.

I am married with 2 young kids and a mortgage so this would definitely be irresponsible. I do have savings and my wife isn't currently working but she is interested in getting back into the workforce.

I know the logical response is this is crazy and stupid and foolish, but I feel like at some point you have to consider your quality of life and whether or not it is all worth it. I'm not sleeping, having constant stress and anxiety, etc etc. I know I have it very good compared to some but this isn't any way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:37 PM

841 posts, read 1,911,875 times
I say don't do it. Try to find something apart from work to focus on--a hobby you can turn into a job--anything. Also ask (discreetly) if anyone you know can help you find another job.

I WANT to work, too but because I have been out of the work force, finding a job is not so easy. I was not sitting on butt eating bon bons, but home schooling full time, and volunteering but it's very hard if you are not in a job to get one.

Don't expect your wife, whatever her background, to walk into a job because "she wants to."

This is not a normal downturn. It's the worst I have ever seen and when bright and articulate people can't get hired "for anything" you need to keep what job you have and not be hasty.

PS If you want to feel MORE anxiety and stress, try being unemployed or married to someone unemployed for months. You lose your medical benefits so every time a kid is sick or you have a tooth ache it is a major problem. Without insurance you are treated like a freak and even if you have cash to pay, some doctors will turn you away.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,893,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
I am married with 2 young kids and a mortgage so this would definitely be irresponsible. I do have savings and my wife isn't currently working but she is interested in getting back into the workforce.
The important thing is to already have secured a nice spot for the cardboard box you'll be living in if you try. Preferably by the water, so at least you get a breeze, with an inland location secured for wintertime, of course.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,102,437 times
And what kind of quality of life and stress are you going to have with a family to support and no income?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,871,853 times
Yes, I think about it all the time, but I can't do it. At the risk of sounding incredibly simplistic, I'd suggest you take some time off to recharge. If you get to the point where you feel like you might quit, call in sick. Don't do it. Keep looking, saving, planning. Do whatever you have to do to get through this, but don't quit without another job. Also, share all of this with your wife and let her emotionally support you.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,893,067 times
Quote:
I do have savings and my wife isn't currently working but she is interested in getting back into the workforce.
Great. She should immediately begin aggressively looking, and when she finds work -which will most likely take an extensive period of time, bank every single penny she makes. Also, save aggressively from your own earnings. You need to prepare for a lengthy stretch where you will need to utilize the funds saved. But quitting before she has both gotten a job that can support the whole family at least minimally, and has worked long enough to where her status as an employee is solid is 110% irresponsible.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,555,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Great. She should immediately begin aggressively looking, and when she finds work -which will most likely take an extensive period of time, bank every single penny she makes. Also, save aggressively from your own earnings. You need to prepare for a lengthy stretch where you will need to utilize the funds saved. But quitting before she has both gotten a job that can support the whole family at least minimally, and has worked long enough to where her status as an employee is solid is 110% irresponsible.
I agree with don't do it ! Where is it written that one has to enjoy or like wha tyou are doing ? Especially in these times, any job is better then none , just ask some one that lost his/ her job 1 or 2 yrs ago and can't find any thing at all.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,019,208 times
Quote:
Curious to hear from others if anyone has ever quit a job with no other job leads. Also curious to hear from those who are considering it. I have a white collar job, make decent money, and just hate it. I've been here 14 years and I'm tired of doing the same thing. Also, the expectations and pressure have increased dramatically.

I know the logical response is this is crazy and stupid and foolish, but I feel like at some point you have to consider your quality of life and whether or not it is all worth it. I'm not sleeping, having constant stress and anxiety, etc etc. I know I have it very good compared to some but this isn't any way to live.
I'm in a similar boat. I have a comfortable job in a field that has weathered the recession very well. Because of my role here I also have a lot of job stability and a decent salary, but I've been here 7 years and do intend to leave soon with nothing lined up (to be honest, I'm not even looking, but will once I leave here).

I sold my home (because I'm also relocating) and have savings to live on while I look for a job. I may change career paths, I may not. I may take some time off to decompress, I may not. What I do know is that I don't need a high-paying job to make me happy; What I need is a less stressful job and shorter hours so I have a better quality of life and more time for what is important: family, dogs, community service, and health/fitness.

Only you know all the details of your situation (i.e. whether you have enough money saved to live on, what the job market is like in your area and in your field, etc.). If all signs are pointing to "do it" and you wouldn't be digging your financial grave, I say why not?

Another option might be that if your wife was considering returning to work, you could perhaps try to cut back your hours to take some of the load off of you.

Either way, it sounds like you also desperately need a vacation.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,169,494 times
It is plain stupid to quit a job without having anything lined up.

Did you know that employers desire people who are already employed? Some will pay a premium for already employed talent.

To leave a job with no savings or plan with people depending on you is irresponsible.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM

715 posts, read 1,068,068 times
I did this once, but it was my first job out of college, I had been there 2 years, and I was going back to school for my MS at the time. My son was very young, but I was still living at home with parents at the time. I found a job about a month later and all was well. This was way back in the late 90's though.

I get what you are saying about quality of life and not feeling good about your work any longer. Still, I wouldn't up and quit now unless I had enough savings and/or other financial resources to support my family. Its a different time now, and leaving a job without another is a gamble. Have you tried just looking for another job? Its good that your wife wants to go back to work. Still, while your wife is looking for work, do you have vacation time that you can take or even enough time to take a short term leave and then look for another job during that time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment