Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

You say "asked to leave" but what was the reason they were asked? For all I know, they were cutting costs and asked people to take packages or risk getting laid off with no package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
It would not necessarily be a red flag in my field (human services--serving people with mental illnesses and intellectual disabilities). We very often get people who come to work with us as a second career, or after they've retired (voluntarily retired or otherwise).

We get a lot of people who retired early because they worked for the state, or people who got squeezed out of their fields in their 50s and still need to work, and want to try something totally new, and rewarding. We don't pay great (non-profit human services never does) but we do draw a lot of people like the OP described.

Now the background check would be another story. If the candidate lies about how they left their last career, and the reference says they were terminated or not welcome back, then that would eliminate the candidate. If they are honest and say they felt like they'd "aged out" of their previous field, or if they say they just wanted a career change toward the ned of their working years, and the reference check doesn't reveal anything, then it would not be a problem for us.

I've hired people who honestly said they felt too old for their previous field, or that in order to stay there, they would have had to go back and get another degree or certification, so they just "retired." If they seem to be people who have the life experience and personality to be able to help our clients, I would snap them up over a 25 year old who answers texts during the interview or spends the interview asking how soon after hire they could take vacation.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM

442 posts, read 615,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You say "asked to leave" but what was the reason they were asked? For all I know, they were cutting costs and asked people to take packages or risk getting laid off with no package.
I'm going to leave out the specifics, but a google search would give the average person a pretty good guess.

I don't quite understand why the individual just didn't list the last job in his field as just a a job, rather than characterizing himself as retired.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 AM

442 posts, read 615,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Why are they overqualified for the position?

What is the reason they want the position they are overqualified for? My father retired a few years ago and now works in an area of his field in which he is technically overqualified for, but as he is doing it as a "hobby" it is ok.

Why were they asked to leave? And what is the field? If we are talking law enforcement and they were asked to resign, that is a much different thing than in retail and asked to resign.

Need more info to really answer...but the bottom line, yes it is a red flag as it brings up the questions I asked, and more....
Overqualified might be the wrong word I suppose. He's applying for jobs that are probably 25% of the salary he was receiving from the job he "retired" from.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 AM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspentree View Post
I'm going to leave out the specifics, but a google search would give the average person a pretty good guess.
So, he's lying, and its a lie that would take the average person 30 seconds to find out.

Now, what was your question again?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM

128 posts, read 267,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
So, he's lying, and its a lie that would take the average person 30 seconds to find out.

Now, what was your question again?
This pretty much sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment