U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM

75 posts, read 173,558 times
Question Hotels/Motels allowing employees to live on premises?

I realize this is likely an off the wall question, but...Coming out of a divorce, having nothing pretty much but the clothes on my back (and currently staying with parents in another state), no vehicle, no money. Missoula Montana is where I am wanting to live. However, due to the above, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of companies who would allow (due to nowhere to live) employees to live on site at a very discounted rate until they are able to save up to move into an apartment, etc? I only say hotels, as I am currently working VERY p/t as a housekeeper in a hotel.

This is a very condensed version...so could I stay here with my parents (I would love to say I'm young, but 47 is past the young adult years, lol), likely. However, since Missoula is the settling place for good, I would much rather find employment there which I would stick with, then attempt to find something here (also harder with the economy in this particular area of TN) only to quit.

Any suggestions are welcomed :-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 02:43 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,853,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mompooh3 View Post
I realize this is likely an off the wall question, but...Coming out of a divorce, having nothing pretty much but the clothes on my back (and currently staying with parents in another state), no vehicle, no money. Missoula Montana is where I am wanting to live. However, due to the above, I'm wondering if anyone has heard of companies who would allow (due to nowhere to live) employees to live on site at a very discounted rate until they are able to save up to move into an apartment, etc? I only say hotels, as I am currently working VERY p/t as a housekeeper in a hotel.

This is a very condensed version...so could I stay here with my parents (I would love to say I'm young, but 47 is past the young adult years, lol), likely. However, since Missoula is the settling place for good, I would much rather find employment there which I would stick with, then attempt to find something here (also harder with the economy in this particular area of TN) only to quit.

I am in the Hotel business (NYC) , And while some properties will allow employees to stay overnight (due to work schedule usually, Or inclement weather) most do not offer housing. Bed and breakfast's and small privately owned Inns might be a good place to look in less populated areas or cities.Sorry to hear about your divorce. You are starting over it sounds and do not mention any children to care for which certainly makes it a bit easier so best of luck. keep us posted.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:51 PM

5,222 posts, read 7,556,644 times
A friend of mine did this in the early 80's. Same situation. Newly divorced and no where to go. I know its possible, its just whether its a place you want to live. My friend worked in the office of a sleaze bag motel though. A place where you rent rooms by the hour. She made it work and got her own place a couple months later. The job lead to an office position at a nice hotel and then so and so on. I met her at my job and was a bit surprised to hear about her history. She started at the bottom and did well for herself over the years.

Small resort towns might have this option. Another friend of mine worked on a resort island. He lived there year round even though the island was closed during the winter months. He said it wasnt bad except during coldest months, there was no ferry to get off the island so at times he felt trapped.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:09 PM

23,226 posts, read 30,341,134 times
A lot of Motel 6 properties have live on-site managers, but they usually want a husband/wife team. Also a lot of storage places have on site housing for their manager. That means you are on call 24/7, but it is a paycheck and a roof over your head.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM

9,782 posts, read 4,949,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mompooh3 View Post

These kinds of things do happen, not so sure how advertised they are.

The last job I had in Miami, one could live where they worked. Granted, it was a trailer park, right there where we worked. If you had a trailer or could get a trailer, (or RV or 5th Wheel), and it was "self contained", you could back it in and live there, rent free.

Living where you work may be ok for the short term but I would highly recommend not doing it for the long term. Some of my co-workers had worked and lived there for YEARS! Some were content, never really thinking they needed to do better but some...

Well. One thing I noticed? NO privacy WHATsoever! Of the employees who lived and worked where I used to work, the back stabbing and gossip was 30 times WORSE than the worst office environment you've ever experienced.

Ok while you get yourself situated and on your feet? Sure!

For the long term? Not if you're sane. Or, shall I say, want to remain sane. Or want any kind of privacy at all.

And I mean, AT. ALL.

These people gossiped over everything others did...everything!

Jack gets in to his car to go do some errands and whatever else it is that Jack is doing...who cares, not my business. But Jack lives where he works so everyone knows when Jack is doing something on his personal time.

One day, Jack comes down from his trailer, room, small aprt, whatever and hops in to his car, leaving the property. His co-workers observe him doing so. The following conversation takes place:

Idiotic Co-worker/neighbor: "There goes Jack. I bet he's going to the grocery store."

Other Idiotic Co-worker/neighbor: "Yah, probably. He never goes anywhere except the store."

IC-w/n: "What the hell does he do all day in his (trailer, room, small aprt, whatever)? Why doesn't he ever GO anywhere?"

OIC/wn: "I KNOW! Doesn't he have any friends? He must not have any friends. What a loser, doesn't have any friends. Sits in his (trailer, room, small aprt), all day like a loser. Freak!"

IC-w/n: "Yah, he's probably plotting something. I wouldn't trust him. Those kind of people are dangerous."

IC-w/n and OIC-w/n to boss: "You should watch out for Jack, he's dangerous and up to something. I think he's plotting something and we should be very careful. If he gets mad, watch out...you never know what he has planned. He's a loser and a freak! You see those kinds of people on the news all the time where they stay by themselves, never go anywhere, and then they snap and kill everyone around them. You should probably get rid of Jack before he does that!"

All because Jack just wanted to go pick up his mail and catch a movie.

Many people think, "Oh who cares what those ignorant fools think about me, I'd take the opportunity." I'm telling you, I've seen it first hand, it's not that easy and they will try everything to destroy you.

(Disclaimer: Not really a disclaimer...there is no disclaimer, really. The above scenario really is NOT exaggerated...unfortunately. Be very careful about living where you work. If you must, do it until you can get your backside in to something else and the quicker the better.)

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 08-25-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 PM

295 posts, read 157,724 times
Why Missoula ? It is a very small town .....do you have relatives there? I noticed an ad awhile back on craigslist Omaha about a hotel looking for live in employees.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 AM

9,955 posts, read 13,539,889 times
Missoula isn't so small (for Montana) but I think it's a very desirable place, you know, artsy, outside people moving in, college... my guess is that businesses in such a place wouldn't have to try very hard to get employees (like offering benefits as the OP described).
Starting from scratch at 47 (or any age after 20...) is a hard thing. Maybe OP could get a live-in caretaker position with an elder person, not a medical thing, but more like a day-baby-sitting thing for an elder who is getting confused. I think a local Council on Aging might be able to get OP started. Maybe best to try it where OP is rather than going to Missoula or a popular place without references.
There are ways. You'll make it in your own way. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment