Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The good news, at this point, is if the assignment ends you'll qualify for unemployment without question.

As far as assignments, my understanding with the way temp agencies work (if you're working through one) is they call you once the client lets them know there's no more work for you.

It could be a day's notice or they could call you before you head off to work the same day.

I know the last company I worked for would call the person once they arrived home in the evening so that they wouldn't return the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 AM

67 posts, read 229,543 times
Every situation is different obviously,, but you should always be prepared that there are no guarantees you will be their the next day,.

I've temped on and off for the past two years and have had mixed departure notifications. On a six week assignment, I was told 2 weeks in advance, on a six month one,, I was given about 2 days, on a one year assignment, I was given 4 weeks. Ive also, on shorter ones, been called around 4 pm and once I was told at 4:55 pm by the manager where I was working that that day (a wednesday) was my last day and "not to tell my agency right away as they hate when I do that" (meaning she has done that often before).,

I think it depends on many variables. The rapport with your dept, the culture of the company, how they perceive whether or not you will 'tamper' with anything. But they have all rights to let you go at the last minute and most do.

Just be prepared.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Well, that was right to the point. So, I won't get any type of notice. Well, that sucks.
I disagree. Ask your staffing company outright what notice you will get. I'm working my 4th temp position and in 2 others I was given several weeks notice. I also got another job right after.

My current staffing company will give 30 days notice. During that time (and maybe before) I will be putting resumes out for my next opportunity.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I disagree. Ask your staffing company outright what notice you will get. I'm working my 4th temp position and in 2 others I was given several weeks notice. I also got another job right after.

My current staffing company will give 30 days notice. During that time (and maybe before) I will be putting resumes out for my next opportunity.
Thanks. I had no idea that notice from the staffing agency could happen.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
You will be able to get unemployment if your assignment ends. Don't even worry about that.

What I found was that many companys have found out how great using temps can be. They don't pay benefits, taxes, or even count you as an actual employee because you are not their employee. You are an employee of the temp agency. They just pay the Temp Agency a certain amount for you per hour.

I've noticed that many places will keep temps on for a year or more. A temp isn't really counted as an employee in their mind. So, for budget purposes, they can say "this department can get by on 4 people" even though there are 2 temps. If one temp leaves or doesn't work out, they just call the agency and get another one.

Ok, I sound bitter but that's what happened to me.

Anyway, just keep looking for another full time job with benefits but keep it to yourself. Don't even tell anyone that you might have become "friends" with.

So, don't worry. You are making some money and getting experience. Save some money too. Be frugal.

And if they let you go without notice, tell the agency you are available for more work but file for unemployment because you will at least get that.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:05 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
You will be able to get unemployment if your assignment ends. Don't even worry about that.

What I found was that many companys have found out how great using temps can be. They don't pay benefits, taxes, or even count you as an actual employee because you are not their employee. You are an employee of the temp agency. They just pay the Temp Agency a certain amount for you per hour.

I've noticed that many places will keep temps on for a year or more. A temp isn't really counted as an employee in their mind. So, for budget purposes, they can say "this department can get by on 4 people" even though there are 2 temps. If one temp leaves or doesn't work out, they just call the agency and get another one.

Ok, I sound bitter but that's what happened to me.

Anyway, just keep looking for another full time job with benefits but keep it to yourself. Don't even tell anyone that you might have become "friends" with.

So, don't worry. You are making some money and getting experience. Save some money too. Be frugal.

And if they let you go without notice, tell the agency you are available for more work but file for unemployment because you will at least get that.

Good luck.
Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I know the last company I worked for would call the person once they arrived home in the evening so that they wouldn't return the next day.
LOL

So don't take any pictures in for your desk... don't take a stapler to work... don't take in any books, etc...

Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
LOL

So don't take any pictures in for your desk... don't take a stapler to work... don't take in any books, etc...

I never understood why some people turned their cubicle into their apartment with all the pictures and personal belongings.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,885 times
So you're like a rolling stone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment