Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Seriously? Do we need a study to tell us this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Costs for raw material and labor benefits are increasing while competitive pressure is lowering the contribution margin on products. Wages are one of the few areas where business can reduce costs.

This is what we all agreed upon when we voted in the democrats/republicans for the past 100 years. We all voted to encourage "fair trade" with third world countries. We all agreed to the debt bubble economic policies. We all agreed to 9% per year medical cost inflation with special privilege for the medical industry so they can make their own rules. We all agreed to the Federal reserve and its "quantitative easing" that pushes commodity and equity assets to the moon while encouraging mal-investment. We all agreed that our manufacturing base was expendable.

Wake up. Complaining about the symptoms is pointless. The cure is a revolution which results in the establishment being tossed into the gutter and people that ARE PUBLIC SERVANTS rather than self servants hold public office.
If things continue the way they're going, there will indeed be a revolution.

Another not-so politically correct problem people fail to address (but we will have to) is overpopulation. Ideally, if the finite wealth and resources on the earth were evenly distributed, there would be no need to worry about overpopulation.

If we have such a dystopian future to look forward to as some project in this thread and forum (and I tend to agree), why should we continue to bring more innocent lives into a world of increasing socio-political instability and poverty at the rate we currently are (or at all)?

Here's a really sobering write-up from one of my favorite websites (every single fact is backed up by a reputable source). The day isn't looking so beautiful in the neighborhood after all. The dark ominous clouds have gathered overhead, it's just a matter of predicting when the storm will begin.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...age-1#comments

But hey, that will never effect me or I'll be dead long before that happens. It'll be my children's and grandchildren's problem or lazy/entitled people's problem, right?

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-31-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
The lowest I have seen now is $7.50 for a job that would have paid 10 dollars a year ago.
And jobs that are paying $10 an hour started at $13-15 a few years ago.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:32 AM

241 posts, read 1,020,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And jobs that are paying $10 an hour started at $13-15 a few years ago.
yeah its getting ridiculous. Price in everything is going up except wages.

A lot of factory jobs u see posted out there are now ran by temp agencies paying 8 bucks/hr (peanuts) when years ago they should have been paying around $12-14.

Last edited by rgarjr; 09-01-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
This is exactly why we need to bring back labor unions, and in a very big way. Imagine if the entire service sector was unionized and every single big-box worker went on strike during the Christmas shopping season - you'd see wages double overnight...lol.

Also, if unions were dominant like in the days of old, we'd not read horror stories such as this:

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave | Mother Jones

It's stuff like this that makes me wanna move to Norway, pronto, as they don't put up with this kind of crap...lol. Oh yeah, they have one of the highest standards of living in the world - I do wonder why...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Many of those jobs are in Texas.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
When the politicians signed NAFTA, they specifically stated that Americans needed to compete with workers in the third world. I don't know why people didn't want to believe them.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When the politicians signed NAFTA, they specifically stated that Americans needed to compete with workers in the third world. I don't know why people didn't want to believe them.
People were warned not to pass NAFTA because they would
loose in the long run but the would not listen or believe it then
and they are not listening or believing it now! ! !

Now today the US American workers and unemployed are starting
to reap what they sowed with lower wages and no jobs.

Third world countries are on there way up in wealth, as US Americans
are on there way down in wealth and value to work force,
just like Ross Perot who said ( NAFTA was the worst thing to allow ) and now
it is happening, and will not be stopped, but it will get worse
if the Lord lets the world go on ! ! !

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
People were warned not to pass NAFTA because they would
loose in the long run but the would not listen or believe it then
and they are not listening or believing it now! ! !

Now today the US American workers and unemployed are starting
to reap what they sowed with lower wages and no jobs.

Third world countries are on there way up in wealth, as US Americans
are on there way down in wealth and value to work force,
just like Ross Perot who said ( NAFTA was the worst thing to allow ) and now
it is happening, and will not be stopped, but it will get worse
if the Lord lets the world go on ! ! !

Both of you do realize outsourcing was happening long before NAFTA, right (GATT)?

In the 1970s and 1980s, the outsourcing was to largely to Japan.

Japan would probably still be destroyed from WWII if they didn't receive so much of our capital during that time.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Both of you do realize outsourcing was happening long before NAFTA, right (GATT)?

In the 1970s and 1980s, the outsourcing was to Japan.
The 1970s and 1980s really isn't the current problem we're discussing -- remember everyone says that people in the 1970s and 1980s could just walk out and find a job.

And that doesn't explain why the current president has greatly expanded NAFTA and is handing out work visas to foreign citizens right and left. The whole game is about making labor supplies unlimited and making cheap labor supplies especially unlimited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment