Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You left out Life Skills Counselor.

When you are looking for work you need to widen your horizons.
In some cases you should completely revisit the whole thing and rework the horizons completely. Some people work for years in fields to which they're simply not suited and it never occurs to them that the reason they never make progress and remain "grunts" is because they're simply in the wrong profession. They remain in low level positions all their lives yet condemn their employers for "keeping them back" and not understanding what an asset they are to the company. Living under the delusion of self-grandeur has never been either intelligent or productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
TV&SG, after reading, yet another, example of why many people (not me) view the unemployed unfavorably, let me posit how this SHOULD have played out.

Cousin's friend "Sally:" TV, I want to help you because I think you might be a good fit for the company I work for. I know there are some positions that you prefer, but you mentioned that you might consider being an instructor and we have an open position. Do you want me to set something up?

TV&SG: Thank you Sally. I really appreciate you going out of your way to provide me an in. I've never been an instructor before, but I would welcome the opportunity to speak with someone about the position and find out more about the company.

Interviewer: TV&SG, Sally tells us that you would be interested in working for us. She mentioned the types of positions that you're looking for. Unfortunately, we don't have any openings in those areas, right now, but we do have a position that I'd like to discuss with you. We think, based on your resume (because we wouldn't bring you in if you didn't have something that was relevant to the position) that you might be a fit for an instructor position that is currently opening.

----------------------------------------------------------------
1:00PM Scenario 1: What would likely happen- You spend the next few minutes convincing the interviewer that you have no background in being an instructor, are fearful of public speaking, and all of the other excuses and complaints about how you were put in such a bad position by your cousin and her friend.

1:02PM Scenario 1: Well, thanks for coming in. I think I've heard all that I need to hear. Unfortunately, I don't think your a good fit for this position. In fact, I don't think you would be a good fit for our company in any capacity. Good luck, the door is over there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1:00PM Scenario 2: What SHOULD happen- You thank the instructor for taking the time to meet with you. You tell them (because you researched the company and their business) all the reasons that you admire the company and feel that you and your background are a strong fit. Yes, you were hoping that something would be available that was better-related to your past positions, but you want to grow your skill set so you're interested in hearing about the Instructor position because you think your current skills can bring a lot to the party because a good instructor needs to have "skill 1, skill 2, skill 3 . . . which I have" to excel.

1:45PM Interviewer: I want to thank you for coming in. I know you were hoping that we could discuss some of the other positions and I'm glad I had the opportunity delve a little deeper into your background and skills. I think you're probably right, and may not be a fit for an instructor, but I'd like to discuss your credentials with a couple others to see if we can work something out. And, we will have a couple openings in the next 60-days that I think are a perfect fit, based on what we've discussed. I'm going to schedule meetings with the hiring managers for those positions to discuss your credentials. We'll probably want to have you back in to meet with some people in the next month or so. What is the best time and manner to get in touch so we can schedule something?

12:46PM TV&SG: Please call between 12PM and 12:30PM Tuesday or Thursday. And, let the phone ring two times, then hang up. Wait 30 seconds, and call me again. This time let it ring three times then hang up. Then call me again after waiting 47 seconds and I'll pick up. I just need to be sure this is a REAL job opportunity and you're not some idiot wasting my time.
---------------------------------------------------
Point is, you're not going to move on unless you're willing to take a little risk. Clearly, what you're currently doing is not working.

(too long to proofread. sorry for any typos.)

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
(too long to proofread.)
Might be about seven paragraphs too long for him to read.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In some cases you should completely revisit the whole thing and rework the horizons completely.

My first job out of college was completely different than my studies but had I experience in from a part time job during college, I planned on keeping that job for a few years until the economy recovered, I held that job for twenty years.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
12:46PM TV&SG: Please call between 12PM and 12:30PM Tuesday or Thursday. And, let the phone ring two times, then hang up. Wait 30 seconds, and call me again. This time let it ring three times then hang up. Then call me again after waiting 47 seconds and I'll pick up. I just need to be sure this is a REAL job opportunity and you're not some idiot wasting my time.

THIS part is great, it is a good thing I wasn't drinking something at the time.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
TV&SG, after reading, yet another, example of why many people (not me) view the unemployed unfavorably, let me posit how this SHOULD have played out.

Cousin's friend "Sally:" TV, I want to help you because I think you might be a good fit for the company I work for. I know there are some positions that you prefer, but you mentioned that you might consider being an instructor and we have an open position. Do you want me to set something up?

TV&SG: Thank you Sally. I really appreciate you going out of your way to provide me an in. I've never been an instructor before, but I would welcome the opportunity to speak with someone about the position and find out more about the company.

Interviewer: TV&SG, Sally tells us that you would be interested in working for us. She mentioned the types of positions that you're looking for. Unfortunately, we don't have any openings in those areas, right now, but we do have a position that I'd like to discuss with you. We think, based on your resume (because we wouldn't bring you in if you didn't have something that was relevant to the position) that you might be a fit for an instructor position that is currently opening.

----------------------------------------------------------------
1:00PM Scenario 1: What would likely happen- You spend the next few minutes convincing the interviewer that you have no background in being an instructor, are fearful of public speaking, and all of the other excuses and complaints about how you were put in such a bad position by your cousin and her friend.

1:02PM Scenario 1: Well, thanks for coming in. I think I've heard all that I need to hear. Unfortunately, I don't think your a good fit for this position. In fact, I don't think you would be a good fit for our company in any capacity. Good luck, the door is over there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1:00PM Scenario 2: What SHOULD happen- You thank the instructor for taking the time to meet with you. You tell them (because you researched the company and their business) all the reasons that you admire the company and feel that you and your background are a strong fit. Yes, you were hoping that something would be available that was better-related to your past positions, but you want to grow your skill set so you're interested in hearing about the Instructor position because you think your current skills can bring a lot to the party because a good instructor needs to have "skill 1, skill 2, skill 3 . . . which I have" to excel.

1:45PM Interviewer: I want to thank you for coming in. I know you were hoping that we could discuss some of the other positions and I'm glad I had the opportunity delve a little deeper into your background and skills. I think you're probably right, and may not be a fit for an instructor, but I'd like to discuss your credentials with a couple others to see if we can work something out. And, we will have a couple openings in the next 60-days that I think are a perfect fit, based on what we've discussed. I'm going to schedule meetings with the hiring managers for those positions to discuss your credentials. We'll probably want to have you back in to meet with some people in the next month or so. What is the best time and manner to get in touch so we can schedule something?

---------------------------------------------------
Point is, you're not going to move on unless you're willing to take a little risk. Clearly, what you're currently doing is not working.

(too long to proofread. sorry for any typos.)

I;m not even sure if my problem can be fixed. I clearly stated I had a small public speaking role at my last job and I was so embarassed because I was shaking and sweating in front of the class. So it's no way I could ever be a instructor because the class can't take anyone seriously who is shaking and sweating

Old 09-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You've been out of work for 9 months, what have you done to overcome that fear? Do you want to overcome the fear of public speaking? People on the forum gave you helpful suggestions months ago. Had you taken the suggestions seriously, you'd be able to work in job that requires public speaking. You chose not to be qualified for the position.

Most desk jobs have transferable skills. If you can read, work on in a database and complete forms, you can work in many different office situations. If the position doesn't require a particular degree or certificate, you should be able to to accomplish the task. Like they say, "it's not rocket science."

I know that I just have no interest in jobs that require a large public speaking role because of the sweating and shaking due to my anxiety.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You left out Life Skills Counselor.

When you are looking for work you need to widen your horizons.

I only listed 3 because its what I'm interested in doing at her company. She works at a small company and they don't have that many positions.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
12:46PM TV&SG: Please call between 12PM and 12:30PM Tuesday or Thursday. And, let the phone ring two times, then hang up. Wait 30 seconds, and call me again. This time let it ring three times then hang up. Then call me again after waiting 47 seconds and I'll pick up. I just need to be sure this is
not the gas company or any other creditor before I pick up, which explains perfectly why I am being so picky in severely limiting the positions I apply for (sar).

BTW, JTGJR, You did a great job explaining it, but the 12:46 part started very well, but I modified it to make it a complete fit.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I;m not even sure if my problem can be fixed. I clearly stated I had a small public speaking role at my last job and I was so embarassed because I was shaking and sweating in front of the class. So it's no way I could ever be a instructor because the class can't take anyone seriously who is shaking and sweating
And what if it can? What new opportunities would that open up for you? You'll never know the answer to either of those questions if you don't, at least, try. When you were learning how to ride a bicycle, and you fell down for the first time, did you decide that you wouldn't ever try to ride a bike again? Every successful person has stepped out of their comfort zone at some point in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment