U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM

6,694 posts, read 8,665,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
What happened after that?
He told his boss why he was there. Boss was cool about it and said to my coworker he wished he had discussed his desire for a bigger position. The coworker stayed with the company for a little over a year and moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 05:08 PM

6,694 posts, read 8,665,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I get caught on job websites all the time, but as it is my job to look for competitor's ads, etc...I could probably apply for a job from work and no one would ever notice.

Although I will admit when I first started I kept wanting to explain what I was doing whenever my boss would walk by my desk and see Careerbuilder, Indeed, SimplyHired and Craigslist as the only open windows I was looking at. But, no one has ever said a word, as I really am doing my job...but it feels funny all the same.
That would be really awkward!!!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,900,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
That would be really awkward!!!
It really is. And it is SO funny, as it is my job to pay attention to the competition, what they are offering, etc...so part of my job is searching career websites. But it is so drilled into your head that you should never go to those sites at work, I always feel so weird!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 AM

897 posts, read 776,092 times
I would never be so foolish as to search for a job while at work or even tell anyone there about my intentions. At my last job there was a gal they was in the process of faxing out her resume to a headhunter and a private company but walked away from the machine before the tasks were completed. Her resume jammed in the fax machine and a co-worker (not just any co-worker the son-in-law of the owner) found her jammed resume and cover sheets. Needless to say she was fired on the spot.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I got caught. In my case, my future employer actually contacted my current employer, despite my specifically asking them not to. My current employer was a restaurant and I was a server so the manager starting taking shifts away--it was pretty tough. Ultimately, I got the job so it worked out ok. Of course, it was a very tense couple of weeks. Despite the fact that I was really irritated with my future employer, I had to take the job since I was definitely feeling the push out my current job.
When I was young and learning about life I was advised to never tell the name of my present employer to my prospective new employer. On applications I described the work, but just left the name of the company blank.

This was never questioned and if the place at which I was interviewed hired me, it was understood that they could then request the name of the company.

Admittedly, this is hard to do if your present job is the first one in that field.

I'm glad that you got the position.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM

763 posts, read 740,162 times
I was.... I e-mailed a resume at the end of the day on a Friday and left for vacation. It bounced back. My boss was checking my e-mail while I was away, Covering anything that might be important.

I played it to my advantage.. If they wanted me to stay it was gonna cost them.. They came up with a nice raise to keep me.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:09 PM

5,076 posts, read 4,841,279 times
I wasn't even looking for work, but had a couple MD appts a few weeks apart. My mgr was so worried about losing me that he commented that he hoped I wasn't interviewing and they would hate to lose me.

This got me very defensive each time I had another MD appt, as I was having some health issues and going through tests. I tried so hard to set the appts before work or after work so I didn't have to leave early or come in late and mention anything to the boss, since I knew they didn't believe me. It was weird.

I ended up thinking about looking at other companies after a couple months, mostly because the guilt trip that resulted in my boss's comments. I resigned shortly after. Funny thing, I never considered leaving until the seed was planted by the boss.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,807,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
I would never be so foolish as to search for a job while at work or even tell anyone there about my intentions. At my last job there was a gal they was in the process of faxing out her resume to a headhunter and a private company but walked away from the machine before the tasks were completed. Her resume jammed in the fax machine and a co-worker (not just any co-worker the son-in-law of the owner) found her jammed resume and cover sheets. Needless to say she was fired on the spot.
It's definitely understandable to be fired on the spot for job searching while on the job.

Has anyone ever been terminated for searching for another job in their spare time and their employer found out through other channels?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,453,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
It's definitely understandable to be fired on the spot for job searching while on the job.

Has anyone ever been terminated for searching for another job in their spare time and their employer found out through other channels?
A person at my school did. She was interviewing over the summer! Funny enough, it was buy the same principal that sent me the breezy message. It seems that I was right to say what I did in case I didn't get the new job.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:31 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I was.... I e-mailed a resume at the end of the day on a Friday and left for vacation. It bounced back. My boss was checking my e-mail while I was away, Covering anything that might be important.

I played it to my advantage.. If they wanted me to stay it was gonna cost them.. They came up with a nice raise to keep me.
I'm glad that it worked out nicely for you, but I'm surprised that you used the company email for your personal business or vice versa.

Companies can track things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment