Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:52 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

Even if it was all done without breaking any rules (by not searching during working time, properly using time off to attend interviews, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:40 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I work at a university and interviewed for another position at my university. One of my old coworkers (who made the SAME jump from my office to another office because the work environment in my department has gotten so bad) snitched because she saw me in a suit. And displaying how dysfunctional my office is, my boss didn't say anything to me but mentioned it to two coworkers (one on my team, one on another) who I am close to to get more info. I had only told one person in the entire office that I was going for it, so they were just confused, but told me. I don't think my boss ever knew what position it was for.

I didn't get the other job, but it made my boss realize that I was serious about leaving and she almost immediately put in for a raise and promotion for me. The upper management (not my supervisors) in my office are very adverse to recognizing talent financially. Despite being hired to be a glorified secretary - run reports out of the database, answer phones, send mail - I am now a copywriter, in charge of marketing materials, and manage all of our social media. Yet I'm still paid at the same pay grade as the people who answer the phones. Demoralizing at best. This all happened 3-4 months ago and the promotion is trapped in management.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Well, I did years ago. I put my resume on Monster and the first email I got was from my current employer. Something along the lines of 'sounds like you would be a good match."

Haha.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,959 times
I was. I'm a teacher and got an e-mail from the new principal (the reason I was leaving) asking in a breezy way, "I'd like to know the status of your job search...."

I replied, "I'm planning on coming back in August! See you over the summer while I get things set up."

At that point I hadn't been offered a position yet and was planning on going back. One day later I got an offer and five days later a signed contract after which I told my old job goodbye!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I haven't, but had a coworker that did. He was in interviewing at another office when his boss walked in and asked what he was doing. Caught red handed.....

Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 AM

131 posts, read 323,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I haven't, but had a coworker that did. He was in interviewing at another office when his boss walked in and asked what he was doing. Caught red handed.....
What happened after that?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 AM

80 posts, read 222,238 times
Yes, a few years ago I worked for a coal mining company and I was told, "If you continue to look for work elsewhere we will let you go."

Perfectly legal is this "at will" state.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,792 times
I worked for a satellite company and hated the boss because he was a bully and a Rightist. Casted around to other companies and didn't hear back from them, but my current boss let me know that someone had told him I had applied with others. It's a fairly small industry.

I didn't care though because in part it was sending a message. He needed to lighten up or I (his senior guy) was splitting. A few months later I and his other senior guy both quit, leaving him in a real bad position, LOL.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I got caught. In my case, my future employer actually contacted my current employer, despite my specifically asking them not to. My current employer was a restaurant and I was a server so the manager starting taking shifts away--it was pretty tough. Ultimately, I got the job so it worked out ok. Of course, it was a very tense couple of weeks. Despite the fact that I was really irritated with my future employer, I had to take the job since I was definitely feeling the push out my current job.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
I get caught on job websites all the time, but as it is my job to look for competitor's ads, etc...I could probably apply for a job from work and no one would ever notice.

Although I will admit when I first started I kept wanting to explain what I was doing whenever my boss would walk by my desk and see Careerbuilder, Indeed, SimplyHired and Craigslist as the only open windows I was looking at. But, no one has ever said a word, as I really am doing my job...but it feels funny all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment