Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I write proposals for international deals ranging from $75M to $150M+. Maybe that's not high pressure enough idk.
Finally! What's with all the other posters talking about being outspoken and surviving? The outspoken and opinionated have no trouble surviving in these environments. They thrive in these corporate environments more than the type who is afraid to voice their opinions or ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I had 2 different bosses tell me that I am screaming at them. LOL. I am opinionated and loud. At the end of the day, my boss gave me merit bonus for $7k for my opinions. I tell them how somebody screwed up and lost the company money, then I give my opinion on how to fix it. I am not in management or have any control, but I will criticize managers working for my boss.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I put on my corporate face while at work. How I am in my personal life, is hidden at work. At work, its all about doing what I can to keep the money rolling in.

I'm not even me at work but a censored, conservative, toned-down version.
That's how I am at work too. You have to be, and you can tell that everyone else censors themselves and acts fake. It drives me nuts.

I would love nothing more than to tell people what I REALLY think, but that might get me canned and I need to eat!

Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
I've worked in three different types of workplace atmospheres over the years. In the 70's, opinions and such were NOT welcomed, nor appreciated. As a matter of fact, it could easily get your fired for insubordination. It loosened up a bit in the 80's and early 90's where it was give your opinion, but..... #1 - "not to much of it" and #2 - "don't expect us to give your opinion any consideration." As for being outspoken, you still didn't gripe and/or complain....you were easily replaced.

Thankfully, that changed in the 2000's. You CAN voice your opinion and you CAN gripe without fear of being fired! LOL!!!

.....did I just say that out loud???

Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM

38 posts, read 116,821 times
I speak up if I see an issue or a foreseeable issue, if my warning is ignored... so be it; When issues arise due to ignoring my warnings I tend to politely remind them that I foresaw this happening to cover myself.

Though I work as a Senior Engineer, Tech Lead, and consultant so I am being paid for my opinion in many/most cases.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
You have to be in a coprorate environment where that kind of personality is seen as a positive - as other posters have mentioned.

IF you find your self in a 'yes,sir, how how should I jump' kind of culture - it will be hard to thrive with an outgoing, outspoken personality.

Believe it or not - some companies value the ability to speak your mind (eloquently and not TOO loudly) as a plus.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
One advantage of being in a place where no one listens to you anyway, is you can complain nonstop and not get into any trouble either.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Pick a job where that is okay. Otherwise, put a picture of why you work, taped to your desk, your home, kids, boat, whatever...and when you want to say "something", take five minutes to really look at that picture...take a deep breath...and now, whatever it was has gone away....who cares, it is not that big of a deal....move on...

Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Pick a job where that is okay. Otherwise, put a picture of why you work, taped to your desk, your home, kids, boat, whatever...and when you want to say "something", take five minutes to really look at that picture...take a deep breath...and now, whatever it was has gone away....who cares, it is not that big of a deal....move on...
My wife and son are my office desktop picture. It's stopped me a few times from saying something likely to get me fired.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Finally! What's with all the other posters talking about being outspoken and surviving? The outspoken and opinionated have no trouble surviving in these environments. They thrive in these corporate environments more than the type who is afraid to voice their opinions or ideas.
As alluded to above, that must be a very 'specific' kind of corporate environment. Many corporate cubicle drones aren't there to offer opinion, but to number crutch, answer redundant emails and effectively take direction from people who may not even know the ins and outs of their job. Our HR manager, for example, has no clue how I do my job and has stated this to me personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment