Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times

Advertisements

I Once did one of those Psychological test for a job and one of the results - I was putting on a work place mask and suppressing my dominance - Which is fairly accurate I think, and possibly the case for many people - that asserting yourself too much will just lead to you getting into trouble.

Plus if you start getting nasty with too many people, there is always someone more nastier than yourself who will put you in your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 AM

40 posts, read 34,778 times
I had a tendency to say things management didn't like when I was working at my corporate office jobs.

One coworker made a comment to me that she only speaks when spoken to. Another told me at some point "he's the boss, you aren't supposed to say that."

My boss also told me once that I was just a soldier who was supposed to shut up and follow orders.

They didn't like me very much there. I just didn't have it in me to conform to the submissive, suck up culture there.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:46 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
For those of you "round pegs in square holes" (Jobs), how do you manage fitting in, quieting your voice/opinions, and just following the "rules" (constraints) followed by corporate job settings?
By asking myself which is more important... to voice my opinions, or keep receiving a paycheck.

They're paying me to work, not to "have opinions". If what they're doing is something so egregious that I can't live with it, I'll look for another job and quit as soon as I can.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
There's a difference between being "outspoken" and "contributing person".

The loud, obnoxious outspoken person will interrupt others, doesn't listen, thinks the world revolves them and gets reprimanded for it.

The contributing person submits insightful ideas, better processes, offers money-saving opportunities and gets reprimanded for it.

Wait what was the discussion about again?

Old 01-26-2017, 02:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
There's a difference between being "outspoken" and "contributing person".

The loud, obnoxious outspoken person will interrupt others, doesn't listen, thinks the world revolves them and gets reprimanded for it.

The contributing person submits insightful ideas, better processes, offers money-saving opportunities and gets reprimanded for it.

Wait what was the discussion about again?
I'm in the same boat.

If I speak up, I get in trouble.

If I say nothing, I get in trouble.

Oh yeah, I'm looking. You bet.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 PM

255 posts, read 200,164 times
Sometimes, very well.

In terms of BS artists, I see people like this get ahead all the time. They don't have to be the most skilled or talented person on the team, but if they can BS with the boss or head honchos well, they tend to get preferential treatment. They're also looked upon as SMEs even if it's all an act.

The whole idea of faking it till you make it has been mastered by people like this. Just pretend you know everything there is to know, talk about it loudly and often, and when people question you on your institutional knowledge, talk over them and paint them in a corner with management observing. You'll look like a pro. I see it all the time where I currently work.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
They don't. Or if they survive, spend a career of being ostracized from the high school corporate clique.

The contemporary corporate environment is not an environment for opinionated, "go against the grain" personalities thats for sure even it its constructive and . Even if you are the best performing employee they got, they want good little corporate drones worship and and kneeling at their feet, rubbing their egos and telling them how ingenious they are.

Chances are you will just get a bullseye put on your back even if you are the most valuable employee they have. Management rank and file consist of insecure, sociopathic, narcissists. They hate employees who are smarter than they are. Have 10x the work ethic they do, and who question their BONEHEADED decisions that defy the realms of logic and common sense..

They will gladly keep filling the rank and file with corporate drones and filling management with clueless hires based on nepotism and cronyism while the companies sink into the depths of hell.

My company in particular LOADED Up their management team with dozens of people and what happens??? Well nothing has improved.. In fact, its more of a clusterf**** than it was before and operationally more of a mess..

But where does the spotlight go? It will go on the best performing employees who are telling these idiots in management they are full of crap and making stupid decisions.

Well the imbecilic managers that keep making things worse and more dysfunctional don't get let go or reprimanded. Nope. That makes too much sense. Its the valuable workers who know how to fix things.

Its better just to keep your head down.. Be a good little boy. Don't ruffle any feathers and challenge the overpaid morons at the top who do god knows what all da. Clock in, clock out. Go home until the goofballs in management screw everything up and run good chunks of your company (if not the entire company) into the ground.

If you're opinionated, outspoken and willing to call out clueless, unqualified idiots while they run the company into the ground on their decisions you're probably better off mowing lawns for a living which is my ultimate goal. Far less narcissistic idiots to deal with there

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-26-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 771 times
I am a teacher and can say with certainty women who are opinionated and think for themselves are NOT welcome in a public school environment. The few who dare to speak up when some new incoherent red tape is doled out, quickly learn to play the game or leave. Female principals especially feel threatened for some reason. That is what's wrong with public education today.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
This thread is over 4 years old but I guess some things transcend time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment