Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Nope. Many others posted about HR before I did. I'm agreeing. Why do you feel slighted? Or are you playing the namby-pamby political correctness card? This thread, by its very nature, is not about political correctness.
Not sure what "political correctness" even has to do about this.

My point was (and I will try to use small words for you): your statement made it seem like all HR people act this way. Which is why I referred to your statements as a "broad generalization" (if you still do not understand what that word means, take a minute to go grab a dictionary).

Are some HR people complete tools? Yes they are. Are all of them? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think it is human nature to downplay your own ethical decisions and focus on others.
Of course it is. Everyone likes to have someone else to blame when things do not go their way.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 PM

97 posts, read 320,660 times
Working for a Health Insurance company where your bonuses are tied to how many claims you can deny in any way possible.

Working for a Department of Veterans Affairs where your bonuses are tied to how many claims on Veterans benefits you can deny in any way possible.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
One thing that you have to remember is that every profession has both ethical and unethical people in it. I don't think that there are any inherently ethical or unethical professions. Some professions may have more unethical people in it than others, but every profession has both ethical and unethical people.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:33 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,160 times
Politicians, lawyers, some real estate agents, investment bankers

Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Here is one fine example: It occured at a huge EU corp whose US subsidiary if measured alone would have been at least than (early 90s) , a Fortune 250 corp. Had an exec tell me he wanted employee XYZ in Fl gone..did not have any prior performance complaints written over a 8 year period. H/R VP said "send him down, we'll get it done, it is up to us to make up whatever reason we need, we've done it many times". The exec did not want to pay customary severence (a corp precedent set in similar level downsizings), nor unemployment compensation.

You were saying?
Yeah...and for every exec who does that, there are 20 people who act as their own references when applying for a lower level job. For every exec like that there are 10 people who make up qualifications and 10 people who really only work 20 hours while getting paid for 40.

You were saying?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yeah...and for every exec who does that, there are 20 people who act as their own references when applying for a lower level job. For every exec like that there are 10 people who make up qualifications and 10 people who really only work 20 hours while getting paid for 40.

You were saying?
Wasn't the discussion about HR people being unethical? What does that have to do with what you're saying? They are two independent concepts.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I agree with you that people shouldn't make things up about their qualifications. But that's entirely independent of whether or not HR people have a tendency to be corrupt or unethical. That, I do not know, for I have never experienced it first hand as bobtn has.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Wasn't the discussion about HR people being unethical? What does that have to do with what you're saying? They are two independent concepts.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I agree with you that people shouldn't make things up about their qualifications. But that's entirely independent of whether or not HR people have a tendency to be corrupt or unethical. That, I do not know, for I have never experienced it first hand as bobtn has.
Exactly my point I was trying to make. People across all professions/levels are unethical. It isn't just the rich and powerful as this board likes to make it out to be.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Exactly my point I was trying to make. People across all professions/levels are unethical. It isn't just the rich and powerful as this board likes to make it out to be.
This thread is about "least ethical professions", not "least ethical individuals."

If you want to have a discussion about "least ethical individuals" and what individuals do that's unethical, create your own thread for it. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses as well.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
This thread is about "least ethical professions", not "least ethical individuals."

If you want to have a discussion about "least ethical individuals" and what individuals do that's unethical, create your own thread for it. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses as well.
...yet again...my point is that no particular profession is more or less ethical than any other. Just as many plumbers are unethical as stock brokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment