Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,127 times

Advertisements

So I just started my senior year in accounting. 3.39 GPA.

0 experience in the field, never had an internship.
Never joined a club, played any sports, or got involve with anything. Just went to class and went home.

I still have this coming school year to make up for it, but really starting to feel like I might have dug myself in too deep here.

Now, provided I end up graduating....worst case scenario:
3.4 (maybe 3.5 if i do really well) GPA, no experience, no internships, mostly a barren resume. Accounting degree completed.

Am I going to be working at wal-mart to pay off my debts or what really is the job opportunites for such a graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
It's hard to say right now. You have a year, as you said. Many college graduates are having trouble finding jobs in this economy. (There are statistics but I'm sure you've seen them)

I think you know this, but you need to get an internship or some other type of cooperative experience. Not only will that give you experience in your field but it may also open up some connections for you.

Don't panic. You have a bit of time. You know what you are up against though, so get on the stick and get to it.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Networking... networking... networking. Almost no one is getting a job these days without knowing somebody in the company. Join LinkedIn and connect into groups involving accounting. Talk with people at school about what companies they are getting offers from. Attend job fairs that are held by your school. Work with the careers center at your school to ensure your resume is in tip top shape. All things I did that made me successful in my post college career.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Get in good with some of your professors while you still have a year left. Reach out to people in your department. Get involved with as much stuff as you can on campus. Go to job fairs hosted by your college. Also, keep in mind, internships don't necessarily have to be done while you're in school. I would also look into temp agencies like Accountemps if I were you. They can at least help get your foot in the door and get some experience for that accounting background you have.

I had some internships and jobs while in college, but they really didn't help in finding me a job after college, or at least I did not exploit them in that way. The experience helped, sure, but I didn't have any insiders pulling for me. So the fact that you do not have that under your belt is not the absolute end all, be all.

What you'll find mostly on this board and with most other Internet forums is a lot of cynicism, doom, and gloom. Do not let that deter you. When people get frustrated and they can't vent to anyone in person, where do you think they go? That's right, public forums. So what you may see here on this forum is the accumulation of much pent up frustration and angst. Again, do not let that deter you. Keep a level head and stay positive no matter what happens.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Get in good with some of your professors while you still have a year left. Reach out to people in your department. Get involved with as much stuff as you can on campus. Go to job fairs hosted by your college. Also, keep in mind, internships don't necessarily have to be done while you're in school. I would also look into temp agencies like Accountemps if I were you. They can at least help get your foot in the door and get some experience for that accounting background you have.

I had some internships and jobs while in college, but they really didn't help in finding me a job after college, or at least I did not exploit them in that way. The experience helped, sure, but I didn't have any insiders pulling for me. So the fact that you do not have that under your belt is not the absolute end all, be all.

What you'll find mostly on this board and with most other Internet forums is a lot of cynicism, doom, and gloom. Do not let that deter you. When people get frustrated and they can't vent to anyone in person, where do you think they go? That's right, public forums. So what you may see here on this forum is the accumulation of much pent up frustration and angst. Again, do not let that deter you. Keep a level head and stay positive no matter what happens.
^^^excellent advice. You still have a year, don't panic.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
You should also start thinking about applying for 1 year graduate school programs if you strike out in the job market. Find out what the deadlines and requirements (i.e. GMAT, letters of recommendations, prerequistes). A well-known masters program that feeds into a good job market will give you another cycle to interview and more chances to network.

Also, you should consider government jobs. Entry level government jobs usually are done through formalized programs that may or may not be coordinated through your on campus recruiting program. There are usually strict deadlines that are much earlier than you'd expect. The agency websites should mention how the process works. In particular, large employers of accountants are the IRS, state taxing agencies, banking and insurance regulators, dept. of defense, and large cities' corporate departments.

A lot of people ignore the government job cycle because they concentrate on on-campus interviewing for firms and corporations, but if they strike out, they have already missed the deadlines to apply for these government positions. You usually find out if you get an offer from a firm well before the government places make their decisions too.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I was in a similar position in that I got my accounting degree later in life and my current profession is completely different from accounting. I got credentials that didn't require experience, but were related to accounting. For example, google "enrolled agent". Don't need experience to get the credential and it will open the doors for taxwork. I know several who have gotten jobs with that designation and no experience. Granted, some positions are only seasonal, but it opens the door. Another idea is to find a state without experience requirements or residency requirements and sit for the CPA. Colorado used to be one (not sure if it still is). That could at least get your foot in the door.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:43 PM

84 posts, read 180,796 times
Look for a student position on campus. Depending on the size of your school there should be several departments with student fiscal positons available. Working on campus will cut down on the commuting and be easier to do hours as you will already be on campus. Also look for any A/R, A/P part time positons that may be available in the community this will help you get a foot in the door. Look now and don't delay.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Sister in law just got a job as an accountant in the Houston area. She graduated in May of 2011 and had a baby in November of 2011. Did not have any experience or internships prior to getting the job. And I might add she's getting paid really well for someone who hasn't had any experience in accounting. Don't know how she did it, but she's there.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Accounting is still a very good degree to gradaute with. Yes there are unemployed nursing grads, just as there are unemployed engineering students and accounting students but honestly Id rather be graduating with an accounting degree than generic liberal art degree. That being said you still have a year, attend the career fairs, various compaines will proably visit your school-check those out. Network, be willing to take the internships, jobs even if they are not exactly accounting. At this point you can't be picky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment