U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2012, 09:14 AM

17 posts, read 18,606 times

Advertisements

About a month ago, I started a new job, my first "professional" position. The red flags were popping up even before I started, but I was not (and am still not) in a position to be unemployed, so I took the job. First and foremost, I recently found out our company is to be sold, and I don't have the greatest feeling of job security. Second, my boss acts bipolar. One day, she's the coolest boss ever, and then the next, she is nasty, insulting, and demeaning. Yesterday she reprimanded me (for no reason, in my opinion) in front of the whole office. Third, the job isn't really what I thought. I'm doing tedious, mindless work that a monkey could do, and I (almost) have a master's degree. From my interview, I was under the impression that I'd be traveling a lot and meeting with clients, which I liked, but I am just stuck in a cube with little human interaction, and my boss indicated that wouldn't be changing. Finally, the benefits were misrepresented to me before I started the job. The company's website, AND a pdf file the HR rep sent me before I accepted the offer, indicated a certain amount of paid time off benefits that ended up being much, much less.

Oh, and the commute is horrible.

Long story short, I am extremely unhappy and I don't think I can tough this out much longer. Sadly, I have no savings and my fiance just graduated and is still looking for a job, so I can't quit without having something lined up. My question is, how do I handle this position on my resume and cover letters for new jobs? I thought about just leaving it off, but it's on my LinkedIn profile, and my current boss would certainly notice if I removed it, though I will probably leave it off in the future. I don't know what kind of description I'd write about this job on my resume because I haven't really accomplished a whole lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,216,934 times
Document everything, you haven't been there that long - you can document, document, document, and go to HR if you must ...

First though, I'd try and develop a healthy working relationship with the boss. Focus on the position, and ask the boss, "I take my position here seriously, I would like to work together, and perhaps have you guide me into perfecting my role- what can I do to exceed expectations". Your boss may lighten up a bit, and see you in a newer light ...

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 AM

1,023 posts, read 934,824 times
Yes, it sounds like you might not be a good fit and you see a lot of "red flags." Maybe you can add a few of the skills from the current job on your resume, but definitely leave the current job off, since you just started.

Leave your Linkedin as is just so the employer knows you are not currently looking for something else. And look for another job now while you have one.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,169,195 times
if you're able to get another job you like soon enough, say within the next month or so, you don't even have to mention this job on your resume. my first job out of college, i had the same experience. i only stuck around for 2 months before quitting, however i was able to just leave it out of my resume entirely and to this day (5 years later) it's never even come up on any job interview/HR process i've been through.

as for your linked in profile, once you move on to the new gig, i would edit that profile to leave it out. but don't take it out until you've actually moved on to your next job.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 AM

193 posts, read 141,895 times
Per recent social media surveys, 75% to 85% of recruiters use social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) to research potential employees. If you leave the job on your LinkedIn profile, you should be prepared to discuss why it is not on your resume.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM

6,430 posts, read 5,143,412 times
You can spin it any way you want it, but you're probably better off having it on there than not; if the upcoming acquisition is public, you can cite worries about your job security after the acquisition as your reason for leaving.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,881,409 times
I would leave it off your resume. I quit 1 job after 3 months and left it off my resume. The gap never came up in my next job. I quit another job, because they lied about salary increase after 90 days.
Just be prepared to explain the gap, if asked. You could also deactivate your linkedin profile, if you are worried that it will affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment