Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM

115 posts, read 195,516 times

Advertisements

I'm actually surprised to see so many people happy with their jobs. I love my work, but I can't stand the people I work with. So I would get a big kick out of telling them all to go to h*ll. What a fantasy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
A coworker of mine said if she won BIG money like 350 million...she'd give at two, three or four other people five mill each, so we could all quick at the same time -- and REALLY screw the boss and company!

Now that it dreaming! How MANY of us would LOVE to see the look on our management's faces -- if FIVE of us could all quit --heck even three of us -- and say FU we're outta here... NOW run the place!

I know it wouldn't be fair to the workers left behind...but I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Money has a diminished return of happiness after about $50K/year or so.
If I were only making $50k a year...I would be a lot less happy than I am now.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:01 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Not to burst your bubble, but it's unlikely that most people would be able to retire after winning the lottery, since, for most people, private health insurance is not available at any cost, and a single serious medical problem can wipe out your entire lottery winnings if you don't have insurance. Unfortunately, even working part time isn't an option, since most companies do not offer health insurance to part time employees. I would be forced to keep my job. Maybe I'd be able to take more chances: I could maybe refuse to work overtime that I don't want to work, refuse to work on projects that I don't want to work on, try to negotiate a more flexible schedule (I am NOT a morning person at all, but most jobs force you to act like one), take time off whenever I want to. Maybe. Don't even know if I could get away with any of that.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
A coworker of mine said if she won BIG money like 350 million...she'd give at two, three or four other people five mill each, so we could all quick at the same time -- and REALLY screw the boss and company!
I have two best friends, my immediately family, and one co-worker who I would do that for without thinking twice. 2 Best friends would get 5 each, mom/ dad and sister 10 each, and the co-worker a million. Of course this is assuming I hit a lottery that large. I'd then try to make due with the remaining 309 million.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
If I were only making $50k a year...I would be a lot less happy than I am now.

Which part of "diminished return" do you NOT understand?

Frankly, I was quite happy when I was making $35K. I make over $100K now but that doesn't bring me much happiness. It does bring me stuff that I don't really need and can certainly live happily without them.

I really can't say I am happier now. I can only say that I am more mature and more in touch with the reality but that's called "maturity" not happiness.

Hoping that winning a lottery would make you happy is a pipe dream. Money does buy happiness but only when you know how to use it wisely. Most of people who won lottery didn't know how to manage money to begin with - hint hint: that's why they bought lotteries. This is primarily why they go back to poverty after a short period of time, losing most of their money on bad business investments.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,651 times
Winning the lottery isn't going to really make someone much happier in the long term unless they lower middle class and below and know how to manage a windfall. The reason is the concept of hedonic adaptation.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
I don't think many people here are saying that tons of money automatically equates to lasting happiness. But surely, having more money and the options that comes with it trumps having little money with the lack of options that comes with that?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,736,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't think many people here are saying that tons of money automatically equates to lasting happiness. But surely, having more money and the options that comes with it trumps having little money with the lack of options that comes with that?
Some people aren't capable of seeing it from that perspective.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Exactly. The most important thing in my life is spending time with my loved ones, particularly those who are aging. More money = more time and more options= happier--at least for me.

Now, that being said, working for more money doesn't necessarily make me happier. I was just as happy making $30,000 as I am (now making significantly more). Actually, I have way more responsibility now than I did then and there are many days I question whether the extra money is worth it. But if someone GAVE me the money???? Heck, yeah, I'd be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment