Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 AM

74 posts, read 134,994 times

Advertisements

I keep having dreams of winning the lottery and coming away with millions and then becoming a serious jerk at work. But is it only a dream?

How many of you just despise how you are treated at work by bosses, coworkers, clients and consultants. They know you have to put up with their abuse because you are broke and desperate to keep your head above water and you need their good graces because good jobs in your field don't grow on trees in this economy.

I have a dream of winning the lottery but no one knows I did and coming to work and seeing exactly what you can get away with. Tell the boss he has to listen to you and don't leave his office until he does. Treat those nasty coworkers exactly like they treat you without fear. Pick a few fights to see what happens. But all along treat people who have treated you with respect the same.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
My job is good overall but very tiring and encroaches on my family time, so yes I would say take this job and shove it. But in a sweet way. Hehe. Then I'd volunteer a couple of days a week at some place that helps people.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
If I win the lottery, I won't even bother calling in to quit.

I'll be on my way to Austin to pick up my check. My job and my "career" will no longer exist in my mind at that point.

I would buy a small house, maybe one that costs $100k or so, invest the rest in various municipal bonds (after conducting adequate research of course), and then live off the interest until I die.

My life from that point forward would mostly consist of travelling and doing volunteer work. If the "boss" at wherever I choose to volunteer turns out to be an ass, bye bye.

As a side note, I'm already planning for this scenario by investing about 1/3 of my paycheck each month. I plan on doing this my entire career so hopefully I can retire as early as possible (age 50 is my target).

Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
I would give my two weeks notice. Say thanks to the boss(es) for employing me and leave on a good note.

As for the co-workers who may have treated you like crap, I personally would not even bother confronting them. It's just a waste of time.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Oh my, the lottery...

If only...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I would spend the time required training whoever needed to be trained and wrapping up my projects. I would not burn any bridges. If I won a lot of money I would like (or may) to start my own institute and my co would be key in that endeavor (they're huge).

Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Yes! I mean, I don't think I'd actually say "take this job and shove it", but I'd definitely quit. Actually, I'd call in sick and then go down to the lottery office. Once, I actually had money in hand, I would then call my boss and quit.

Incidentally, when I worked at a restaurant, our Wonder bread guy actually won millions in the lottery. One day, there was a new guy and we asked what happened to the old guy (who was a GREAT guy) and he told us won and quit. We saw him on the news that night. I was thrilled for him.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:10 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Incidentally, when I worked at a restaurant, our Wonder bread guy actually won millions in the lottery. One day, there was a new guy and we asked what happened to the old guy (who was a GREAT guy) and he told us won and quit. We saw him on the news that night. I was thrilled for him.
I wouldn't tell anyone, even family members.

Suddenly EVERYONE will become your best friend and you will always be paranoid about people trying to steal from you. I'd keep it a secret.

When people ask how work's going, I'd say "fine" just like I do normally. If I'm away travelling, I would tell them I am travelling on business.

They would never guess based on my car and house though. Even if I had millions, I'd still drive a Toyota or Honda and live in a one-story 2-3 bedroom house.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Suddenly EVERYONE will become your best friend
Yep, even the ones who didn't want anything to do with you before.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I have dreams of my whole little team walking out en masse. I don't have a big family -- no aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. -- so my tiny family and my small group of friends (and that includes my immediate colleagues) would benefit from my winnings. To be honest, though, I don't know if I'd want to quit completely. Maybe I could go down to part-time instead. It's just that I function better with a schedule and a routine, and a job provides both. Also, by nature, I tend to be a bit of an isolationist, and going to work forces me to interact with other humans, which is good for my mental health. Plus...I LIKE my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment