Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

Really wish they wouldn't do this...why waste their time?

I've only had one manager be honest to me about server take home in a discussion about how much money I need to make a week to take the job. I always say $700-800 a week for full time (I already have a part time job to supplement my income). Only one manager at any place I've interviewed said their servers don't make that much. I've had managers tell me outrageous lies about how much their servers make...and looking around me I knew they were lying. Why do this? Jobs in the service industry are plentiful, if I'm not making what I'm supposed to be making I have no problem quitting...and I always keep 2 jobs for that reason.

Why tell a prospective applicant that a Friday night looks like $300 when it really looks like $160? If you have to work with said manager, you will know that they lied and lose respect for them...

The best is when you first start a serving job, have a couple of shifts with disappointing earnings that weren't what you were told they'd be, then are repeatedly told how business was just out of whack the couple of days or unseasonably slow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Really wish they wouldn't do this...why waste their time?

I've only had one manager be honest to me about server take home in a discussion about how much money I need to make a week to take the job. I always say $700-800 a week for full time (I already have a part time job to supplement my income). Only one manager at any place I've interviewed said their servers don't make that much. I've had managers tell me outrageous lies about how much their servers make...and looking around me I knew they were lying. Why do this? Jobs in the service industry are plentiful, if I'm not making what I'm supposed to be making I have no problem quitting...and I always keep 2 jobs for that reason.

Why tell a prospective applicant that a Friday night looks like $300 when it really looks like $160? If you have to work with said manager, you will know that they lied and lose respect for them...

The best is when you first start a serving job, have a couple of shifts with disappointing earnings that weren't what you were told they'd be, then are repeatedly told how business was just out of whack the couple of days or unseasonably slow...
They are trying to maintain staff in an industry that tends to have a higher turnover rate likely, Or less likely they do not have an estimated figure and are guessing. In many companies esp this and retail positions are required to be filled quickly and puffing is used to obtain this goal.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
If you get into a great place, you can make A LOT, and the beauty about cash is you don't have to claim it all at tax time ... When I used to waitress, I used to make anywhere from $125.00 to $200.00 a night, then I started bartending and HELLO !!! I used to bring home $270.00-$350.00 a night ... it was great !

Get into a busy popular place ...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Many places (especially pooled places) make servers record their cash and c/c tips, to boot, I've never worked with a floor manager who wasn't intimately acquainted with how much their servers were making.

Retail is a whole different beast cause those guys live off their meager base pay.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

Get into a busy popular place ...
I'm really happy with both of my jobs at the moment, I'm just musing on how aggravating it is to be lied to about the average server take home when you're looking for fresh employment.

And ImCurlybelle, I work for pooled houses so I have to claim. I cannot get away from the IRS this year.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I can't imagine why any owner or manager would lie about it as it serves no purpose at all. Obviously the turnover rate is going to be infinitely higher if an employee is told the shift rate averages $200 when it's actually $50. That high turnover translates into less profit when you add in training, paperwork and everything else. I was always perfectly honest about what could be expected and had no problem if the prospective employee wanted to talk to current employees and get their "take" on that and other aspects of the job. Fellow restaurateurs I was/am friendly with did/do likewise. Maybe you've just been unfortunate.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When working for tips it's not only the busy places that increase the pay, but providing best service. Most people base their tips on the attitude of the server. I'll go below 10% for bad service and as much a 20% for really great service, as I did just last week at a dinner where the server was very friendly and attentive.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe you've just been unfortunate.
I would think so, but I've had countless jobs at this point in the industry and more interviews. And inflating server take home is pretty consistent. Of course, my only experience is the Manhattan service industry.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 AM

300 posts, read 1,136,516 times
Yet more evidence of employers who lie everyday. I don't understand why your manager would lie. If your manager is lying to you about this than I would wonder what else are they lying about. Start looking for a different job.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I was a server for years. Anyone who's been a server should be able to figure out potential nightly tips on their own. Visit a restaurant on a busy night. Take a look at the menu so you get an idea of average check $. Count customer heads and get an idea of turnover. Factor in the support staff you see running around. Goes without saying, you have to be great at customer service. Sadly, I've met soooo many servers who overestimate their level of customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment