Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times

Advertisements

I moved to another city. The distance between Houston and Dallas is so large, though. It might as well be Detroit to Chicago. The move is definitely worth it. I would rather be employed and self sufficient in a new city than scraping along with unemployment. I was laid off, last year. I was looking every where.

Keep in mind, you don't have to travel out of state until you are close to being hired. I had 2 jobs lined up in Dallas within a month. A Dallas company came down to Houston and had several candidates from the job boards lined up. The other company had 2 phone interviews and hired me without even driving. Phone interviews are even easier. You don't have to spend gas money or putting on your best clothes. I had a call from a headhunter to work in the Walmart corporate headquarters in Arkansas. Opportunities open up all around, when you consider other places.

It was pretty easy to find an apartment to rent. I asked for 2 weeks to relocate. I drove down to Dallas, the next day and picked up the written offer. Then, I scoped out some apartments that I found online. Every place asked for the written offer as proof of income. All the leasing agents were used to working with people relocating for new jobs. I did it all on my own dime though. There was no relocation assistance from the new job.

It was the best career move ever. There was more money, more benefits, more chances for promotions, fewer hours, and an easy-going boss. With this kind of job market(horrible to super horrible), you can't beat a job like that.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-19-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,372,631 times
Yes.

I moved from the Denver Colorado suburbs to Elizabethtown Pennsylvania and commuted the 17 miles to Harrisburg for my job.

That job has transferred me for the foreseeable future to Allentown, PA where my wife and I currently reside.
It looks like this is the end of the job transfer game for me for quite awhile since they now have me where I'm truly needed.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM

86 posts, read 166,780 times
In December of 2010 my wife and I decided to that we were going to gradually relocate to Springfield MO so I could finish my hospitality degree and go where it is colder, than Gulfport MS where we both lived all of our lives. One Saturday I got bored and decided to call different hotels in Springfield and wanted to find out rates and accommodations for extended stays. On about my 3rd phone call started talking to the sales manager of a hotel, it turned out they were looking for a new front desk agent. He and I talked a few more times, then I talked to the GM and was asked to come up for an interview. I drove up a week later for an interview, and just by coming up I got the job. The pay was a $1 less than what I was making in Gulfport and there were no relocation expenses paid. But I was allowed to stay on property rent free for 3 months. My wife, daughter and I were separated by 684 miles for 90 days (toughest time of my life). Then we found a place up in Springfield and reunited. Since then I have gone through 3 raises, and one significant promotion. I know I am not where I am going to spend the rest of my career, and I am constantly watching for jobs in various other states. But moving up here was the best move I have ever made for me and my family and I would never hesitate doing it again.

If you have a job like hospitality, nursing, insurance, or retail where you can get a job just about anywhere I would encourage a move.

GOOD LUCK

Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM

8,012 posts, read 10,589,775 times
I guess this is one of the benefits of renting vs. home ownership - freedom of mobility.

Many people can't move to another state for a different or better job because they can't sell their homes where they presently are located.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

86 posts, read 166,780 times
Yes I have a friend back home whose husband got out of the military and took a job about 8 hours from his wife and kids, and the only thing keeping them apart is the house NOT selling. Good Luck!!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,090,690 times
I dislike buying a house, because of the opportunity cost that's lost. I would love to buy a house, when I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment