Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,669,078 times

Advertisements

an additional item for consideration is the company itself.

You ned to check the company out along with their history with emplyees and contract workers. A company that has both employees and contractors may do this so they have a steady full-tme dedicated work force but they fill anticipated work load increases with contractors. So you have a days worth of work that they figure will be around pretty much all the time. But they also have peaks or project work where a contractor is used because when the work is done, you are done.

One thing to try and find out is what is the longevity of the contractors? If its always to the contract end and seldom goes past that time, now you know that in 1 year, your unemployed. But if emplyees have long term employment with the company, knowing that the odds are that you will still be working 1, 2 or 3 years later isn;t something to just shuff off for the pay. Basicaly, try and look pass the "pay" and look at the jobs and see if one has a benefit over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,110,935 times
You need to figure out your true costs.

Hourly rate x hours per week x 52 weeks = total annual compensation

Total compensation - employee income tax - 6.2% SS employee tax - 6.2% SS matching employer tax - 1.45% employee medicare tax - 1.45% matching employer medicare tax = After-Tax Compensation

Once you got the taxes removed, you can back out the cost of benefits to the employer and get the annual cost and then you have to divide by hours worked to calculate the hourly rate.

After-Tax Compensation - health insurance - dental insurance - 401k match - 3 weeks vacation = Net annual compensation

Net Annual compensation /(hours per week x 49 weeks) = hourly rate for employee|contractor

You have to take out the 3 weeks for vacation, since it's not worked.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,734,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You need to figure out your true costs.

Hourly rate x hours per week x 52 weeks = total annual compensation

Total compensation - employee income tax - 6.2% SS employee tax - 6.2% SS matching employer tax - 1.45% employee medicare tax - 1.45% matching employer medicare tax = After-Tax Compensation

Once you got the taxes removed, you can back out the cost of benefits to the employer and get the annual cost and then you have to divide by hours worked to calculate the hourly rate.

After-Tax Compensation - health insurance - dental insurance - 401k match - 3 weeks vacation = Net annual compensation

Net Annual compensation /(hours per week x 49 weeks) = hourly rate for employee|contractor

You have to take out the 3 weeks for vacation, since it's not worked.
To simply see your net pay after taxes, I suggest using paycheckcity.

It calculates everything for you automatically.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:46 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,582,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder84 View Post
Hi, I am currently in the middle of one of the toughest decisions of my career. I am a welder, and I've been offered a full time position with a shipyard making 22.80 per hour plus overtime @ 1.5 times that amount. This is a very stable career type opportunity includng insurance, 401k etc. On the other hand Im being harassed by an agency wanting me for the same job at the same company as a contracted employee for a 1+ year duration. The pay for the.contract work is 38 an hour and 50 an hour for overtime. Is the increase in pay worth the lack of benefits or should I just go full time and wait for advancement to make the better money? Also there is no guarantee that the full time position will be offered at any time in the future.
I would take the full-time. Medical benefits alone will eat up a lot of the profit from the higher wages, and the other benefits along with it probably make the full-time a better deal overall.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder84 View Post
Hi, I am currently in the middle of one of the toughest decisions of my career. I am a welder, and I've been offered a full time position with a shipyard making 22.80 per hour plus overtime @ 1.5 times that amount. This is a very stable career type opportunity includng insurance, 401k etc. On the other hand Im being harassed by an agency wanting me for the same job at the same company as a contracted employee for a 1+ year duration. The pay for the.contract work is 38 an hour and 50 an hour for overtime. Is the increase in pay worth the lack of benefits or should I just go full time and wait for advancement to make the better money? Also there is no guarantee that the full time position will be offered at any time in the future.
NO! IN THIS ECONOMY please consider the advantages of going with the full time. The pay differential in contracting will not cover what you would have to make up for in lost benefits.

Are you a W-2 contract employee or a 1099 contract employee? If 1099, Knock 15% off the top because you're paying all of your own SS benefits. Figure out what health insurance will cost . Welding isn't exactly risk-free - the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have insurance if you need it is worth lots. No paid vacation, extra SS kick in, and insurance costs will eat up $10/hr of that $38.

Have you considered negotiating with the company? Saying you have a similar offer at $38/hr, and would like to know if there is any room on the hourly wage? You can do it in a professional and non emotional way, it's simply part of business. DON'T say from whom the offer came, lol! Your breakeven is $28/hr.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment