Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Gonna have to rep you for that. It's unbelievable what some people on here expect us to do and we should be GRATEFUL for it, while we're at it.
Make that two.

But note that some people on here, don't hold themselves to those same standards, in reality. Their house gets blown to splinters by a tornado, in tornado alley, and they are the first ones screaming for government help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So using your backward logic, if I wasn't performing my job well, my boss can arbitrarily decide to pay me less than minimum wage as punishment?

That's not how it works Sonny Boy.
...when did I say that?

You still completely missed the point. The boss wasn't telling the OP not to eat lunch. He was telling the OP to work harder to make his numbers, using lunch as an arbitrary example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The OP said he was meeting his numbers. Even if he wasn't, that doesn't put the employer above the law.
Which is why I said he needs to do a better job of proving to his boss that he is performing well...Performing well is meaningless if your boss doesn't see it.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Anyone saying that I deserve to be denied a lunch break because I'm not meeting my numbers is under false understanding.....I am meeting my numbers. I had the evidence and proved it.

So please, tell me again, why don't I deserve a lunch break? Do some of you (probably small business onwers) really believe that you control and own people just because you pay their salary and give them a job? Just because jobs are scarce right now doesn't mean you get to turn people into slaves. You aren't doing them a FAVOR by giving them a job. You are employing them to perform a service for 8 hours +/- a day for 5 days a week, and in return they do that service for money. Money is essential to live, but money is essential to employ. A business is nothing without its employees, so for those of you who feel that it's an act of charity to give someone a job then you can throw yourself off a cliff. No one owns me, I do what's in MY best interests. If you're not happy with my performace, we can have a meeting about it and I better see proof. Or you can stop employing me. Simple as that.

At some point in the future, the job market WILL change and employers will be begging for people to stay at their company. Companies who are very successful and have large growth do so because they can retain top employees and people are HAPPY TO WORK THERE. Why do you think everyone wants to work for Google and Microsoft? Some of the most successful companies in the world and they're also some of the top rated companies to work for. You think that's a coincidence? Employers today are already having a hard time finding top talent....just wait until the job market turns around. Those who took advantage of their employees and slave drove them will be left standing alone with a sinking business.

I'm sure this has happened in the past, but except this time around you have something called the internet. People share this type of information, websites are in business to document what companies are taking care of their people and which ones are dicks to work for (try glassdoor.com). People may forget but the internet doesn't. Employers are googling people today to see what kind of person they are and think they can get the inside scoop on someone's personal life and judge them by it, but employees can google companies too and find out who is fun to work for and who is a jerk to work for.

It'll all come back around.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
check the Federal meal break law and the meal break law of your state. The employer is wrong, PERIOD. Meeting numbers...meeting schnumbers...or not. Has nothing to do with Labor Laws. Start writing a journal and documenting everything. It's illegal.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
Ignore the Corporate Kumbaya-yas. They're brainwashed sheep in a forest full of wolves.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
You are talented, so you need to move on to something better. Sales bring in the money. A good sales person is highly sought after. You need to sell yourself to a better company and find a boss that treats you right. It seems like you are avoiding leaving an a**hat boss. It's like being stuck in a bad relationship that you don't want to quit, because you don't know what's out there. It's time to start applying and testing the waters.

I was stuck with a witch for my boss for 3 years and underpaid at $11/hr. She talked to me like I was stupid, because I had no degree like her golden boy. I didn't realize that other companies would value my services more.

In 2008, the company went belly up. I had no choice in staying with the company. I had 60 days to look for a new job. That's when I started seriously looking for another job. Other companies made me feel a lot better about myself, after a few interviews. One company gave me a $20k raise, and my new boss treated me with respect.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-19-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You are talented, so you need to move on to something better. Sales bring in the money. A good sales person is highly sought after. You need to sell yourself to a better company and find a boss that treats you right. It seems like you are avoiding leaving an a**hat boss. It's like being stuck in a bad relationship that you don't want to quit, because you don't know what's out there. It's time to start applying and testing the waters.
Unfortunately, I've changed jobs 5 times in the last 6 years. My resume looks like swissed cheese by not and it's not as easy to find a job. I get a lot of recruiters calling me but they're for other crap companies/jobs.

The problem is that I DO KNOW what else is out there, and it's not that great. My boss may be tough to deal with and put a lot of pressure on me, but the pay here is great, I'm doing well, and I've learned more about sales from him than anyone I've ever worked for. It's just too easy to sell what I sell right now. My goal this month was $15,000, I'm going to hit $58,000 before the month is over! You can't find that at another company.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Unfortunately, I've changed jobs 5 times in the last 6 years.

Quote:
You can't find that at another company.

..but apparently you've tried to, five times. Why so much job-hopping?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
..but apparently you've tried to, five times. Why so much job-hopping?
First company was a very large company that was bought by an investment firm, changed my territory and left me with no accounts and I was coming off my salary to full commission. I would've brought this to my manager's attention, but he had recently quit and didn't have a direct manager to report to for 3 months. If I had stayed there a month longer I wouldn't have received a paycheck. I fell through the cracks of a loophole in a company of 10,000 people and there was nothing I could do about it.

Second company was a bolier room slave driving third party logistics company that lied about how much they would commission me. I was a top 40 sales rep among 600 sales reps and I made only $3,000 of commission on the entire year...unacceptable. I brought this to their attention. They offered me a more comfortable desk chair and a wireless headset instead of a wired one. I quit.

Third company was a telecom company, and they had a 6 month ramp up period. After that ramp up if you didn't start hitting quota every month you got a strike. Three strikes you're out. 2009 was the worst year in telecom in almost 30 years. I couldn't hit quota and was let go after 3 months. This company would terminate 10% of it's sales force EACH MONTH.

Fourth company was okay, I was successful, but it was a dungeon office, no perks/benefits at all (not even a holiday party). The company was behind the competition's capabilities, management was inept with no leadership, and I wasn't learning anything about how to get better at sales. I also left because there was zero room for growth. I would be at entry level for the rest of my career if I remained there. I have ambitions that go beyond just being a sales rep.

This is my current job. I'm outside sales instead of inside, the industry is much more pleasant to work with, more open to opportunity, networking opportunities, pay is much better, I've been very successful, and my company is fast growing and I've been reminded that there are long term plans for me in management as this organization grows. I report directly to the President. This can be looked at as good or bad. There's more pressure when your boss runs the company, but you're accomplishments won't go unrecognized. Given he is hard on me and makes some ridiculous demands, I feel like I have to roll with his punches because everything else about the job is really really good and hard to find anywhere else.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
First company was a very large company that was bought by an investment firm, changed my territory and left me with no accounts and I was coming off my salary to full commission. I would've brought this to my manager's attention, but he had recently quit and didn't have a direct manager to report to for 3 months. If I had stayed there a month longer I wouldn't have received a paycheck. I fell through the cracks of a loophole in a company of 10,000 people and there was nothing I could do about it.

Second company was a bolier room slave driving third party logistics company that lied about how much they would commission me. I was a top 40 sales rep among 600 sales reps and I made only $3,000 of commission on the entire year...unacceptable. I brought this to their attention. They offered me a more comfortable desk chair and a wireless headset instead of a wired one. I quit.

Third company was a telecom company, and they had a 6 month ramp up period. After that ramp up if you didn't start hitting quota every month you got a strike. Three strikes you're out. 2009 was the worst year in telecom in almost 30 years. I couldn't hit quota and was let go after 3 months. This company would terminate 10% of it's sales force EACH MONTH.

Fourth company was okay, I was successful, but it was a dungeon office, no perks/benefits at all (not even a holiday party). The company was behind the competition's capabilities, management was inept with no leadership, and I wasn't learning anything about how to get better at sales. I also left because there was zero room for growth. I would be at entry level for the rest of my career if I remained there. I have ambitions that go beyond just being a sales rep.

This is my current job. I'm outside sales instead of inside, the industry is much more pleasant to work with, more open to opportunity, networking opportunities, pay is much better, I've been very successful, and my company is fast growing and I've been reminded that there are long term plans for me in management as this organization grows. I report directly to the President. This can be looked at as good or bad. There's more pressure when your boss runs the company, but you're accomplishments won't go unrecognized. Given he is hard on me and makes some ridiculous demands, I feel like I have to roll with his punches because everything else about the job is really really good and hard to find anywhere else.
What industry do you work in now? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment