Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you feel is the most fair way of prioritizing requested time off?
Order of seniority 19 30.65%
Order of who requested the time off first 35 56.45%
Based on why the time off is requested 2 3.23%
Random lottery 0 0%
Based on who has gone the longest without any time off 5 8.06%
Based on who has the largest vacation time balance 0 0%
Other (please post your suggestion) 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times

Advertisements

Honestly, there's not clear cut answer for this.

On one hand, if I were manager, I would absolutely never have the heart to tell Marvella, who unexpectedly lost their mother, that she couldn't take time off because Molly who has to pick up her kid from Soccer practice asked for the time off first.

On the other hand, if Molly's time off was approved, you just can't arbitrarily take it away from here. You would need her consent and there's no guarantee she would agree to changing her schedule to accommodate Marvella who's mother just passed away.

And then on top of all of that, you can't afford to have two people take off at the same time because then you'll be short-staffed.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-18-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

380 posts, read 1,154,444 times
^^^The companies I have worked for have bereavement time which is different from personal time off. So, a death in the family would get you time off. I know not every company does that, but, a sudden death in your family of a close relative is a special circumstance and should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM

6,929 posts, read 7,010,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm in complete agreement with you.
With me?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
With me?
Yes.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish_LittleFish View Post
Flip a coin
Which is a random lottery, so you should have picked that option.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You cannot "judge" the worthiness of the employee reason for wanting time off, that's asking for trouble. I would consider a death in the family as the number one priority,
That fits into #1 on my list, since death is a once in a lifetime event.

Quote:
beyond that either seniority or first come would be satisfactory. I would certainly want to have that know, if not by written policy at least by e-mail to all staff in advance of such a situation, however, because once the conflict has surfaced, the criteria could be considered favoritism to the person that benefits from the choice.
I would avoid favoritism by having a detailed priority list.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 PM

5,539 posts, read 6,461,494 times
I voted "other" with the November and December holidays in mind. This is the main time that many people want time off at the same time. I normally would choose #2, whoever requested the time off first (because it is available at that time). But in the case of the above holidays, that would mean the same person could or would always have the prime time off if they were the first to request it.

So I guess my answer to this particular time period would be to alternate approval among employees every year so the same people arent't the ones always getting the long Thanksgiving weekend off, or the week of Christmas off, or the time between Christmas and New Years off.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You are proposing a left field process. As Hemlock said, how do you "prioritoze" the value of these items in a workplace? Look at number 1 alone, are you saying that a person who's marital status change is more deserving of prioroty scheduling over a singe person who has a chance to get some wham-bam with a hottie?
The former is a once in a lifetime event. The later is not.

Quote:
I also think #2 is just that and and will have you ducking for cover in the court room.
Why?

Quote:
Number 3??? you got to be kidding, just because I like to travel first class on refundable tickets mean i'm less apriorty over cheapo non refundable ticket worker??,
Then if the employer forces someone who has non-refundable travel plans to cancel after already approving the time off (or asking the employee to work on a weekend or holiday without telling them far enough in advance), the employer should have to reimburse the employee.

Quote:
please your way out of left field and even pass the parking lot on #'s 3, 4, &5 ......
Why do you have to be rude just because you don't agree with me?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I vote whoever asked first, unless there is an illness or death in the family. We are told to ask for time off before booking trips. When more than one person wants the same days, they try to accommodate everyone by asking people to adjust their days a little. I'm not sure how often that happens. We'll see how that works.
The problem is, what if somebody is booking non-refundable travel, is the 2nd person to ask for the time off, and has that time approved. Then a deadline or emergency comes up at the last minute, and you need one of the 2 people to work. If the first person is just staying home watching TV, which can be done any week, why should the person who booked the non-refundable travel suffer a financial loss?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Also, how do you deal with weekends and holidays that the office is officially "closed", but you may occasionally need someone to work overtime. You can't base it on who asked for the time off first, since nobody would have asked for time off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.