Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 PM

354 posts, read 712,244 times

Advertisements

Employers are required by law to follow up on any claims of sexual harassment, seeing as they can be held liable for a hostile work environment or worse. As many others have said, you need to take this up with EEOC ASAP. Also, be sure you have documented dates and times. In case it take you longer than planned to find employment(esp. in this economy), you will want to be able to have unemployment, so better to start this process sooner, rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
Thank you very much that is great advice. I am already taking them to the labor board because they do not let you take a break during your shift, and I am making sure that disability knows that there is a lack of any handicap access or a elevator for the second story.
The sad thing is because of my prior job, and the fact that I was part time I still receive a portion of my unemployment, I actually made almost $2 more an hour so I have that. I took the job because of the "having to have a job to get a job"I am scared that my unemployment will be cancelled for being fired I need to make that phone call tomorrow.

If you file a complaint with EEOC, that "checkmates" it. Also, you can collect UE if fired, as long as its not for "gross misconduct", not just committing a mistake. The thing you have to remember is, you can't collect UE if you QUIT, which you didn't.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:38 AM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Along with all this, I'd like to point out that sexual harassment can also depend on the environment & nature of work you do. Some things can be crude, but not harassment. Some things can be polished & smooth but be harassment at its finest.

I have worked in offices and construction, 2 entirely different arenas. In the office, a man telling a woman she has a big butt would usually be harassment. In construction, not necessarily so. I worked with a woman who was somewhat plump. She was going up on ladders, through ceiling grids to install conduit. She bent a few pieces of grid. A guy told her, "with your big butt, you can't keep tools in a back pocket, they keep catching on the grid & damaging it". She got furious & accused him of harassment. She & I got along pretty well so I found a moment with her later & told her she was on the wrong road. She reluctantly agreed. If he had come behind her and patted her butt or made comments about it exciting him, that would be harassment. These guys are usually more open with crude jokes too. Bad taste & manners but not necessarily harassment. Some of the women in construction are pretty crude too. In fact, a butch I used to work with bragged to the men that she got more chances to look up skirts than they did.

My last years in the office, sexual harassment was a topic in nearly every meeting of any sort. Women were upset about men addressing them as "honey", "darling", "sweetheart", etc. But women themselves did a lot of that, especially women from rural backgrounds. They were often the worst offenders. I brought that up in a meeting & the woman heading it up said it had not been brought to her attention. I said I never liked it, had always been taught these were terms for husband & wife or sometimes their children. After that, when any woman associate used those terms on the phone with me, I'd cut them off & ask them to cut the terms of endearment; that men were being told not to do it & I didn't like it either. Working in construction, I reminded a few guys that it was crude to use those terms with women at eating places, the office, etc. They already complained that some women out & around were "too good to talk to us construction workers" . I told them that had little to do with it, that if they were a bit more civilized they would not be brushed off.

I would sometimes round a corner in the office & get a direct view of a female crotch. A woman in a short skirt would be on a low filing stool, legs open & filing papers. 1st time or 2, it caught me off guard & I stared a moment longer than I should have. Nothing came of it, but some women would have called that harassment. Leaving something wide open and expecting a man not to notice it is folly.

A guy in the office watching every move a woman makes is a form of harassment whether it is easily noticed or not. I think most women would eventually notice it and not like it. Asking her out while at work is harassment if she reports to him. Pressures her to decide if declining him would hurt her job status.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 AM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Again thank you everyone for the replies they are helpful, I honestly am learning as I go along exactly how to do all of these things, I guess I have been lucky and I haven't had any problems like this before so the advice is appreciated.
Thankfully I was on the phone with EEOC the minute they opened up this morning at 8:30 and there was already a 33 minute wait time but I did get thru and began the claim, I need to print the forms and fax them to my local EEOC office as well as the labor board forms. Kinkos will become my second home (I don't have a fax so it's easiest to go there). My best advice is is anyone has a problem go to the EEOC immediately because you only have a certain amount of time (thankfully I am right in the correct time but barely).
We shall see what happens, I just want my previous employer to never be able to treat anyone the way that they treated me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment