Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

The janitorial industry is notorious for dirtbag operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Slightly related story:

Peter Weissbach (former KVI radio host in Seattle) and his company Seattle Building Maintenance

The Radio Equalizer: Brian Maloney: Seattle Talk Host Caught Employing Suspected Illegals

Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 PM

90 posts, read 213,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I couldn't believe it when my Mom could no longer live in Colorado due to altitude she rented her place and one cleaning lady wanted $25 an hour. WTF? I know things cost more in a small resort town, but this wasn't Vail. I called up the lady and said she should be ashamed of taking advantage of the elderly and found someone at a reasonable price.

Oh no YOU DIDNT just say that. Who do you think you are? I clean for a living and charge the same $25 rate. Ever heard of taxes, insurance, licenses? who do you think pays for that? the biz owner of course. So step down off your horse.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita82 View Post
Oh no YOU DIDNT just say that. Who do you think you are? I clean for a living and charge the same $25 rate. Ever heard of taxes, insurance, licenses? who do you think pays for that? the biz owner of course. So step down off your horse.
Who do you think you are? Gouging people for unskilled labor and I hardly believe you pay taxes/insurance prove it. Most cleaning jobs are done by illegals.

Now, in fairness, if you own a Molly Maids or something I can see you charging $25 an hour because your are probably paying all the taxes, workmen's comp, etc. Even MM sends illegals out to clean homes because I seen it first hand in my neighborhood.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 09-22-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 11:19 PM

90 posts, read 213,533 times
Quote:
Who do you think you are? Gouging people for unskilled labor and I hardly believe you pay taxes/insurance prove it. Most cleaning jobs are done by illegals.

Now, in fairness, if you own a Molly Maids or something I can see you charging $25 an hour because your are probably paying all the taxes, workmen's comp, etc. Even MM sends illegals out to clean homes because I seen it first hand in my neighborhood.
Wow. Gouging people for unskilled labor? May I ask what do you? Seeing that you don't sound quite educated and considering you think $25 per hour is price gouging? I would say the contrary. If you hire someone charging $10 an hour then u are knowingly hiring a illegal or someone not paying taxes. Which is contributing to the same problem you are whining about. Your argument makes no sense, which again leads me to the question, where do you work? Btw you are sounding very stereotypical considering that you are assuming some of merry maids people are illegals. How did you find this info out? Did you ask for their paperwork or something. Or let me guess that walked up to you and said "hi, im an illegal". Foolishness.

And yes I pay taxes and have biz insurance and am licensed. And no I am not interested in proving anything to you since you sound less important than you think you are. Yes most cleaning may be done by illegals, but quit whining and live off your own hard work.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe it when my Mom could no longer live in Colorado due to altitude she rented her place and one cleaning lady wanted $25 an hour. WTF? I know things cost more in a small resort town, but this wasn't Vail. I called up the lady and said she should be ashamed of taking advantage of the elderly and found someone at a reasonable price.

A self employed person making $25 an hour. . . .

Assuming they are able to work 40 hours a week (and get paid by all of their customers: including property owners that have issues with altitude).

That's $1,000 a week for 48 weeks in a year, factoring in a couple of weeks off for vacation and/or any sick days that are not being paid.

So - now we are at $48,000 a year and that once again is based on actually having work lined up 8 hours a day, five days a week. If you factor in occasionaly four or five hour days along with some weeks where all five days are not scheduled, it is closer to about $42,000 a year.

Now since the person charging $25 an hour is running a business they will have the following expenses.

I just called a buddy that works for a commercial insurance company in Washington and asked what approximately the insurance requirements for a cleaning person in Colorado would be if they were a legitimate business. He said they have to post a $1,000 bond annually with the state along with about $800 in general liability insurance:

$1,800 / year

Then fuel to go to all of the jobs making $25 an hour. About $75 a week / or $300 a month is a reasonable estimate.

$3,600 / year

Along with vehicle insurance (conservative estimate $80 a month)

$960 / year

Marketing for the "business"

$1,200 / year (which is a really low number just used for this particular analysis)

General cleaning supplies

$1,000 / year

Other and miscellaneous expenses running a business (including cell phone)

1,400 / year

Combined total is about $10,000 a year subtracted from $42,000 a year.

So net profit from the business is now reduced to $32,000 a year

Anyone that is making $32,000 a year will not qualify for any type of state funded medical assistance so
take another $300 a month out for self employed health insurance since the person will not get a group rate through an employer. $3,600 / year

Now, we are down to $28,400 per year. Also, important to note on the person's IRS tax form: Schedule C since they are a business they will also have to file a Schedule SE which covers Social Security taxes and Medicare - and they will have to pay both the employer and employee portions so they are paying it twice which will be about $2,600 a year (with a deduction on their 1040 for half of it). Bringing their 1040 income down to $25,800. Factoring in a standard deduction and exemption, they will pay taxes on adjusted gross income of about $16,000 which will be about $1,200 - so now the $25,800 is down to $24,600.

That is about $2,000 a month left when it is all said and done and in a part of the country where the cost of living is alot higher than other parts. $2,000 a month and/or $500 a week for the honor and privilege of being able to clean other people's toilets and floors.

Wow. You should go tell your mommy to clean her own place if she is too cheap to afford to have somebody to it.

On a sidenote. If anyone is wondering why the economy collapsed the way it did in the last three and a half years. FYI - it was not just some Federal Reserve fiat money, loose credit, government manipulation along with questionable practices in the financial sector. There is a psychological-financial cancer amongst the general population and the rigid class structures that have developed in the last three decades that make a general future rise in economic conditions almost impossible as long as the free flow of goods and services are hindered by people (some consumers) that lack a working relationship with reality and objective aspects of economics. If anyone thinks that $25 an hour is too much to pay a self employed business person to clean, go find some more crack to smoke.

Skydive Outlaw

Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
A self employed person making $25 an hour. . . .

Assuming they are able to work 40 hours a week (and get paid by all of their customers: including property owners that have issues with altitude).

That's $1,000 a week for 48 weeks in a year, factoring in a couple of weeks off for vacation and/or any sick days that are not being paid.

So - now we are at $48,000 a year and that once again is based on actually having work lined up 8 hours a day, five days a week. If you factor in occasionaly four or five hour days along with some weeks where all five days are not scheduled, it is closer to about $42,000 a year.

Now since the person charging $25 an hour is running a business they will have the following expenses.

I just called a buddy that works for a commercial insurance company in Washington and asked what approximately the insurance requirements for a cleaning person in Colorado would be if they were a legitimate business. He said they have to post a $1,000 bond annually with the state along with about $800 in general liability insurance:

$1,800 / year

Then fuel to go to all of the jobs making $25 an hour. About $75 a week / or $300 a month is a reasonable estimate.

$3,600 / year

Along with vehicle insurance (conservative estimate $80 a month)

$960 / year

Marketing for the "business"

$1,200 / year (which is a really low number just used for this particular analysis)

General cleaning supplies

$1,000 / year

Other and miscellaneous expenses running a business (including cell phone)

1,400 / year

Combined total is about $10,000 a year subtracted from $42,000 a year.

So net profit from the business is now reduced to $32,000 a year

Anyone that is making $32,000 a year will not qualify for any type of state funded medical assistance so
take another $300 a month out for self employed health insurance since the person will not get a group rate through an employer. $3,600 / year

Now, we are down to $28,400 per year. Also, important to note on the person's IRS tax form: Schedule C since they are a business they will also have to file a Schedule SE which covers Social Security taxes and Medicare - and they will have to pay both the employer and employee portions so they are paying it twice which will be about $2,600 a year (with a deduction on their 1040 for half of it). Bringing their 1040 income down to $25,800. Factoring in a standard deduction and exemption, they will pay taxes on adjusted gross income of about $16,000 which will be about $1,200 - so now the $25,800 is down to $24,600.

That is about $2,000 a month left when it is all said and done and in a part of the country where the cost of living is alot higher than other parts. $2,000 a month and/or $500 a week for the honor and privilege of being able to clean other people's toilets and floors.

Wow. You should go tell your mommy to clean her own place if she is too cheap to afford to have somebody to it.

On a sidenote. If anyone is wondering why the economy collapsed the way it did in the last three and a half years. FYI - it was not just some Federal Reserve fiat money, loose credit, government manipulation along with questionable practices in the financial sector. There is a psychological-financial cancer amongst the general population and the rigid class structures that have developed in the last three decades that make a general future rise in economic conditions almost impossible as long as the free flow of goods and services are hindered by people (some consumers) that lack a working relationship with reality and objective aspects of economics. If anyone thinks that $25 an hour is too much to pay a self employed business person to clean, go find some more crack to smoke.

Skydive Outlaw

Most aircraft mechanics don't make that much. Ya know, the people who had to go to school for a minimum of 2 years, constantly go to seminars and training sessions to keep up with the technology, know how to troubleshoot and fix extremely complicated aviation systems and keep up with the ever changing government regulation (or risk going to jail with a felony) to keep huge machines up in the air get paid less per hour than a cleaning lady. When I started 5 years ago I was getting paid $11 an hour in a very high COL area.

Yep. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for them at all.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Skydive Outlaw
This sums it up! Until someone actually goes out and completes all the steps necessary in starting their own business, they really have no idea of how it works. Practice over theory.

If I may add: SO didn't even include state and local income tax that must be paid, or putting any money aside for things like retirement or college funds. But, that post did an excellent breakdown of just how much comes out of that $48K. I would gladly pay someone twenty-five or thirty dollars an hour to clean my place if I needed it.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
$25 an hour is not outrageous for a house cleaner that is reliable and trustworthy. You are letting this person into your home. Where you live. With your family. Do you really want to let price be the only, or even the main, consideration?

We pay our cleaner $20 an hour.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,662 times
Great fake name, "Knox Harrington". Sounds like the TV serial hero, with chiseled features and a determined look, facing into the wind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment